Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rockstar being sued over Hot Coffee mod... by shareholders

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Rockstar being sued over Hot Coffee mod... by shareholders

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060216-6193.html

Great, who's next? I'm really surprised that the stock dropped so much because of the Hot Coffee mod... I guess public outcry does work, even when sales go up. go figure.
Old 02-16-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuck the shareholders. So they condone investing in a game manufacturer that produces a game that allows the player to shoot a cop's head off but cry foul when hot coffee happened. Same FU goes to the board member who quit because she was outraged by the hot coffee footage.
Old 02-16-06, 02:30 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Store has to pull the game from shelves due to the hot coffee scene, so I'm sure that hurt profits.

That's why the shareholders are pissed in all likelihood. Not because they are opposed to the content. They invested to make money.
Old 02-16-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Store has to pull the game from shelves due to the hot coffee scene, so I'm sure that hurt profits.

That's why the shareholders are pissed in all likelihood. Not because they are opposed to the content. They invested to make money.
When you invest in a company that seems to specialize in making "controversial" games you have to figure that into the risk when making the purchase. Manhunt, State of Emergency, Grand Theft Auto. This isn't Elmo Learns Numbers here. You have no right to complain when a controversial game company gets a game pulled for being to controversial.
Old 02-16-06, 06:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't saying it was a reasonable lawsuit.

I was just saying that the suit wasn't due to moral objections over the content which was implied by neiname's post.
Old 02-16-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
When you invest in a company that seems to specialize in making "controversial" games you have to figure that into the risk when making the purchase. Manhunt, State of Emergency, Grand Theft Auto. This isn't Elmo Learns Numbers here. You have no right to complain when a controversial game company gets a game pulled for being to controversial.
It wasn't pulled for having controversial content. It was pulled because they hid it.
Old 02-16-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It wasn't pulled for having controversial content. It was pulled because they hid it.
If you wanna be technical, I believe it was pulled from most stores shelves because it was re-rated to Adult, which was changed due to the hidden content.
Old 02-16-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I don't know if that really negates my point here though. You can't be surprised that a title from this company is going to get pulled every now and then, and I'm just tired of these people feigning ignorance because they are trying to cash in.
Old 02-16-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't know if that really negates my point here though. You can't be surprised that a title from this company is going to get pulled every now and then, and I'm just tired of these people feigning ignorance because they are trying to cash in.
While you may not agree with the shareholders bringing the lawsuit, it seems to have a solid legal basis, at least from how it has been described. This is not that different than a situation where a company makes a misrepresentation of its finances and is subsequently forced to re-file a form 10k, 8k, etc. The legal theory is, the company made a misrepreentation of material fact (prohibited by Section 10b) that caused the shareholders to suffer a loss.

I understand that some people get annoyed with lawsuits in general, but this is actually a fairly common type of suit. If you're interested in learning more, the 10b5 Daily is a good blog with lots of information on derivative suits, PSLRA, etc. http://www.10b5daily.com/

Last edited by BobDole42; 02-16-06 at 08:05 PM.