Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What games did you play with your roommates in college?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-14-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Playing Halo 2 and WoW with my friends/former roommates is bringing up all sorts of great memories from the "heyday" of video game playing for yours truly. Here are some staples from 1994-1998, our college days:

1. Goldeneye - Man, there was NOTHING topping this one. 4-player deathmatches, total map memorization, rules that you couldn't kill someone who had just respawned without a weapon, massive mocking if you managed to karate-chop someone to death - it doesn't get any better than that game.

One of my roommates ran through the train level at least 30 times on the most difficult setting in order to get whatever that unlocked. He died at the end every time because, upon exiting the train, he ran to the left and you were supposed to run to the right. When he figured that out...

2. Tekken 2 - Another staple. Our female friends were forced to watch hours of this game. One roommate always chose Paul, with that cheap "elbow-sweep" shit - I don't think I've ever been so pissed at a videogame character. I used the girls (Nina and Ana (?)) and worked long and hard on getting all of their grapples and bone breaks down pat. Another roommate always used King, and delighted in massive grapple combos.

3. Mario 64 - I think we got 60+ stars in the first two days of owning that game, taking turns whenever we died

4. Doom II - My first experience with online gaming and the only "LAN party" experience I've ever done, having "high speed" ethernet in all of the dorm rooms. We used my roommates Packard Bell 486 with 8 MB of RAM to kick the living crap out of the dorm floor. And everyone had their doors open, yelling and cussing out each other after every kill. I miss those days...

5. Warcraft II - Since we only had 1 computer in the dorm, we used to head down to the computer labs for our WC fix. And since we played the game in DOS, every time we went down we had to install mouse drivers for DOS in the systems. It usually took a good hour or so before we were all online and ready to go. But we had some epic battles, even though we usually had to be quiet in the labs.

6. Mortal Kombat II - The SNES got a big workout my freshman year. My roommate and I spent a week trying to beat Shao Khan, and each return to the room was greeted with how close he had come to being beaten. We also use to play the "4 characters, random choice" mode, howling if we were forced to use Baraka 3 out of 4 characters.

So which games were staples in your dorm room?

Last edited by Draven; 02-14-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We ran Dr. Mario 24 hours/day for about a week...people just coming in and watching/calling next. It was in the days of Wayne's World and anytime you dropped pills on an opponent, the other 15 dudes in the room would yell "Schwiiiiiiing".

Guess you had to be there. Good times.

Lots of Tecmo Super Bowl too.
Old 02-14-06, 03:52 PM

Red Alert
Starcraft
NFL Blitz
Counterstrike
Quake
Old 02-14-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
1. Goldeneye - Man, there was NOTHING topping this one. 4-player deathmatches, total map memorization, rules that you couldn't kill someone who had just respawned without a weapon, massive mocking if you managed to karate-chop someone to death - it doesn't get any better than that game.
That was the ultimate mutliplayer dorm room game. That and Smash Bros. Then of course Perfect Dark when it came out. So many missed classes and sleepless nights. We also played a bunch of WCW Revenge. Nothing like a 99 man, submit only match to pass a night.
Old 02-14-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i feel old.
Old 02-14-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PC games mostly, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, the occasional bit of Aliens Vs. Predator. We also played some of the WWII games a few years later (Allied Assault and Castle Wolfenstein). Most of my roommates and friends were never really into games, especially console games.
Edit-Forgot we also played alot of Worms World Party my first semester in school.
NCAA Football on the PS were often played by my roommate sophmore year and I (then when I got a PS2 the next year we played on that as well when he would come over)
Halo was a big hit Senior year too. I used to go over to one of my friend's rooms and we'd kill a case of beer and play Halo pretty much all night.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 02-19-06 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-14-06, 04:20 PM
Banned

For a console that supposedly sucked, The N64 sure got more milage than any other console, thanks to Mario Kart and Goldeneye.

WCW/NWO Revenge (I think that was the title), Smash Brothers and Perfect Dark were a distant second.
Old 02-14-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
For a console that supposedly sucked, The N64 sure got more milage than any other console, thanks to Mario Kart and Goldeneye.

WCW/NWO Revenge (I think that was the title), Smash Brothers and Perfect Dark were a distant second.
me and my friends used to take turns playing two at a time on Challenge 30 in Perfect Dark......shit that was fun.
Old 02-14-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double Dribble
Starcraft
Warcraft 2
FIFA (the one with chumpawumba)
Tekken 2 or 3 or something...
NHL 97
Quake
Old 02-14-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mario Kart 64 was huge back in the day.....
Old 02-14-06, 05:03 PM
Retired

Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and International Superstar Soccer on the N64.

Tekken 3 on the PS1.
Old 02-14-06, 05:15 PM

It was the first year that our dorm had ethernet connections and we broke it in with Warcraft 2.
Old 02-14-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mario Kart 64 was the big one at first. We also played a lot of Diablo II, Quake III, Red Faction, and Half-Life over a LAN that we had strung in and out of windows and through bathrooms (one of my friends brough us a 16-port hub and a whole spool of Cat-5 from work).

Then the GameCube came out, and we all started playing that. First it was Super Monkey Ball, then Super Smash Bros. came out and it took over everything. Even after graduation, we still play that when we all get together. We've got around 500 hours in it.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 02-14-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bust-a-move and the various others (Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, etc.)
Old 02-14-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not roomates per se, but...

Freshman Year: Goldeneye, Mario Kart, San Francisco Rush.
Sophomore Year: Goldeneye, FFVII, Worms.
Junior Year: Money Idol Exchanger and other Neo-Geo games (kart and emulated), Starcraft, Unreal Tournament.
Senior Year: Tony Hawk 2, DOA2 (on an import PS2), Perfect Dark, Pokemon Stadium 2, and a ton of Neo-Geo games, both on emulator and on home cart and a bunch of other Dreamcast games I can't remember.
Old 02-14-06, 07:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Contra and Blades of Steel on the NES.
Old 02-14-06, 08:16 PM

On the Sega Genesis we used to have EA NHL 92 and 93 tournaments. Honors would go to game winners and those who racked up the most checks in a game.

Madden was also a thoroughly played (back when you didn't need to be a pro to play it)

and Lakers vs Bulls

does that date me?
Old 02-14-06, 09:14 PM

Hide the Sausage...

oooops!
Old 02-14-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Counter-strike
Halo
Initial D w/wheel
Old 02-15-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Karts baby!!!! I think I (along with one other guy) can take credit for starting the Mario Kart craze at my college during my freshman year. Nobody heard of the game before we started playing, but within a week just about every room in my dorm had a game of Karts going. I remember at the end of my freshman year I must have had over a dozen people in my little room playing Karts with each other. I still play with my buddies now.
Old 02-15-06, 09:20 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Since Draven was my roommate, my list is pretty similar to his, but he forgot one. Along with Tekken, once the PlayStation hit, we played a lot of Twisted Metal too.
Old 02-15-06, 09:35 AM

Just my #1s
Freshman - Madden 97
Sophomore - Goldeneye
Junior - NHL Faceoff 99
Senior - NFL 2K
Super Senior - NBA 2K1
Old 02-15-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
We only had a Playstation and the most played games were Jet Moto, Twisted Black 2 and Madden. One of my roomies and I got to the point where we could run every Jet Moto track flawlessly. On multiple occasions, we completed a 10-race circuit and had every race be decided by .1 second. Fun stuff.
Old 02-15-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
Since Draven was my roommate, my list is pretty similar to his, but he forgot one. Along with Tekken, once the PlayStation hit, we played a lot of Twisted Metal too.
I mentioned this in another thread. You all cowered before the might of Spectre and the homing missles that went through walls
Old 02-15-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Madden, Mario Kart 64, Mario Golf, Hot Shots

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.