Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Waiting DVD Extras: Why is Ryan Reynolds blurred out?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I just saw this movie and I absolutely LOVED it. Great cast, fantastic extras, and great commentaries from all involved. This DVD is definitely fully loaded. I'm glad even though the movie didn't make a big splash in theaters they gave it a fully loaded treatment, and hopefully it will find an audience on DVD.

One thing that I was surprised by, however, is the lack of involvement by the 2 principal actors in any of the extras, namely Ryan Reynolds and Anna Faris. All the others in the ensemble appear EXTENSIVELY in the documentary, providing cool anecdotes, stories, video commentary on certain funny scenes, show audition tapes, etc., but none of this is available for Faris and Reynolds. They don't appear at all in the extras, and in the documentary with extensive discussion on casting, they just skip over the two pretty much, which I thought was weird.

Even MORE weird was that in several behind the scenes, you see Reynold's Face competely BLURRED OUT as if he didn't want to be shown? HUH? Unless he has a big head and didn't want to associate himself with the picture (which he doesn't seem that type of guy), I found this funny.
Old 02-11-06, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I noticed the copyright for the film was 2004, so it sat on the shelf/couldn't find a release until late last year. I'm guessing that delay might have something to do with why the two biggest names might not want to be involved.

It's possible they washed their hands of the film, or wanted money to participate.
Old 02-11-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this last night and thought it was pretty good. I never have worked in food service, but I bet people who have will relate to this movie much like those of us who relate to Office Space.

I'll be buying this, but I'll wait until it hits the $10 price point, which probably shouldn't be too far off.
Old 02-11-06, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheKing

It's possible they washed their hands of the film, or wanted money to participate.
Well, Ryan Reynolds owes his career to the "American Pie" crowd.
Old 02-11-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, Reynolds is hardly one to shun this kind of audience. The only reason we like this Chevy Chase clone is because of movies like this.

BTW, I worked in a place like this tending bar for two years and while the penis showing game is not something that went on the rest of it is right on target. The customers depicted in the movie are pretty damn accurate and in many ways so are the people working there. I thought it was a very funny movie and really enjoyed the DVD release which I agree is loaded, especially with the extra disc from Circuit City. Even my wife who usually doesn't like the low brow stuff enjoyed the movie though she did have to leave the room when they fixed the food for the bitchy customer.
Old 02-11-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Reynolds and Farris probably didn't participate in much of the extras because they were off doing other films (Just Friends comes to mind) and it is possible that either they were not contractually obligated to be in the extras, therefore requiring an additional fee that the dvd production couldn't/wouldn't pay, and thus blurring out Reynolds. To me it's not that big a deal. I'm sure it's not a reflection of how they feel about the film.

I've talked to people who've worked with Ryan Reynolds and they all speak highly of the guy, so unless he turned into a dick overnight or had a really bad experience on this particular film, I'm sure there is a logical reason.

MATT
Old 02-11-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still working in fast food, i could relate to it also.
Old 02-11-06, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I forgot how long this movie sat before it was finally released in theaters. I beleive the went to shoot Just Friends right after as I saw it a year ago in a 'sneak preview'
Old 02-11-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad someone asked this question because after watching every inch of stuff on the DVDs I totally forgot to post the same question.

It turns out the one that a few people who work for me in the kitchen ended up buying this movie. We got pounded in tonight and kept our sanity but reciting line from the movie while we cook.
Old 02-14-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the movie,don't get me wrong but does it really deserve 4 Discs? Tho a note,his face is not blurred out on the Wal-Mart Bonus Disc. Yes I bought the Circuit City Version of Waiting... too,but I got Wal-Mart bonus disc for $0.02 from a friend.
And I'd like to know as well why the hell he's blurred out,and why him and Anna aren't even mentioned on the documentary. I'd say Waiting... is gonna be a top dvd of 2006. I predict it will still be on the list come December. Tho why couldn't they just put the Wal-Mart & Circuit City discs,on the 2nd disc? Oh yeah,because they want more $MONEY$
Sorry I ranted about sorta non-topic stuff,but I can't find the Waiting... thread,so.

Oh and have you ever seen a commentary for a 94 minute movie,that turns into a 130 commentary?
Old 02-15-06, 12:01 AM
Banned

anything on the walmart and circuit city discs that is NOT on the original dvd? is it worth getting?
Old 02-15-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO UKingdom,they are worth it. There are no repeats from the original disc on the CC/WM discs.
Old 02-15-06, 01:35 AM
Banned

what's the running time on each? is the cc disc different content from the wm disc? damn, how am i going to buy two more bonus discs without buying the dvd again?
Old 02-15-06, 01:37 AM
Banned

btw, does anyone know if the full video for the andy milonakis rap song is anywhere? they show a behind the scenes of it on the dvd but i wanted to see the full video.
Old 02-15-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are these bonus discs still available? Were they in the pack or separate?

Last edited by Living Dead; 02-15-06 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 08:29 PM

Bump...

Just bringing this thread to the top to see if anyone can post the specs from the various bonus discs and if it is worth it to try and find them.
Old 02-22-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what made the movie "unrated" the only thing that i can think of is the rap during the end credits that pushes the raunch factor.
Old 02-23-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shtfilter
Just bringing this thread to the top to see if anyone can post the specs from the various bonus discs and if it is worth it to try and find them.
I just won a Walmart one of Ebay and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

As far as the unrated version, I'm not too sure what was added. I saw it once in the theater and a couple of times on DVD, but I can't really recall any differences except that maybe the bush scene may have been a little longer. Not even sure on that one.
Old 02-23-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the cardboard sleeve for the Circuit City disc lists: Bloopers, Deleted Scenes, & Cast Video Commentaries.

The Circuit City I work at can't keep this thing on the shelves! The week it came out we must have sold out 3 times, although I think it was more to do w/ not recieving alot of copies like we did for saw 2, but we are actually still sold out now.