DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Movie Gallery $5.00 Red Dot Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie Gallery $5.00 Red Dot Sale/Found Movie Gallery Liquidation Center

Just got this in my email!
$5 DVD Sale — Look for the Red Dot.

Valid at participating U.S. stores only. Limited time offer on selected Pre-played titles while supplies last. The $5 DVD Pricing can not be combined with any other combo offers. All Pre-played copies are guaranteed to be free of defect at time of purchase. This Offer cannot be combined with any other specials or discounts. The red dot items can not be combined with the Buy 2 get 2 pre-played DVD items.

Additional restrictions may apply. See store associates for details.

Last edited by cisman; 02-13-06 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-10-06, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
Just got this in my email!

I went to my local Movie Gallery and I was NOT impressed with the
selection. They had a lot of old stuff that has been on the shelves for months. Thanks for the post anyway.
Old 02-11-06, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has been discussed in the B2G2 thread. I found a few titles that I grabbed, but it looks like they are just trying to move the titles that have been on the self for a while.
Old 02-11-06, 10:53 AM

The Movie Gallery on my campus doesn't even have previously viewed stuff. Everything is rental only.
Old 02-11-06, 03:51 PM

My store had a lot of different titles in the red dot sale this time! We picked up Employee of the Month and Team America!
Old 02-11-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is the B2G2 still going?
Old 02-11-06, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by imp66
So is the B2G2 still going?
Sure is.
Old 02-11-06, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The B2G2 does not apply to the $5.00 titles according to what I've experienced.
Old 02-12-06, 08:50 PM

Well I just found the Jackpot! In the town where I live it's always been weird because we had 2 movie gallerys pretty much right by each other.

Well I go to one to check for the $5.00 sale and I notice the entire store is full of previewed titles.

I talked to the clerk and apparently they don't rent anymore and it's now a Movie Gallery DVD Liquidation Center where all the stores in our area send their extras.

What's crazy is they had 8 rows of good titles for 4.99 each all under the B2G2 deal.

Here's what I snagged:

Catwoman: $4.99
Resident Evil Apocalypse: $4.99
The Terminal: $4.99
The Stepford Wives: $4.99
Matrix Reloaded: Free
Collateral: Free
The Day After Tomorrow: Free
Anacondas Hunt For Blood Orchid: Free

Titles without cases:

Open Water: $2.99
Elf: $2.99
Ginger Snaps Back: Free
Ginger Snaps 2: Free

Not a bad find. Apparently they move the newer ones into the 4.99 area at the 1st of the month. I got a peak at next month's and The Incredibles was one of them.

Has anyone else found one of these?
Old 02-12-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Alright, I'm considering picking up a few things for the $5 Red Dot Sale. Granted, these WILL be cheaper than renting, but I still need to make sure that they are worth even the amount paid:

Paycheck
Whale Rider
The Jacket
... (recommend another $5.00 title, anyone)
Old 02-12-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I just found the Jackpot! In the town where I live
Great! How about you tell us what town in case we live nearby too?
Old 02-12-06, 10:39 PM

Springfield, MO
Old 02-13-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Alright, I'm considering picking up a few things for the $5 Red Dot Sale. Granted, these WILL be cheaper than renting, but I still need to make sure that they are worth even the amount paid:

Paycheck
Whale Rider
The Jacket
I'd look for the Whale Rider / Fly Away Home 2 pack at Walmart for $8.88 (oops, I think it is $10.88). Fly Away Home is worth the extra $3.88.

Last edited by abintra; 02-14-06 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Made mistake on price.
Old 02-13-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm finally a fan again of Movie Gallery, though two of my local stores recently closed.

The ones around here don't seem to be putting those crappy stickers on the discs anymore that I always hated, and for the most part they're actually packaging the DVDs in the actual cases with all the actual paperwork.

As far as stickers on the cases, go that's nothing some trusty GOO-GONE can't handle. Also I bought a big lot of blank DVD cases on ebay a while back for really cheap, so now I can trade out the crappy rental cases if I get one that doesn't look original.

Add all that up with the fact that the Movie Gallery closest to me has had a Buy 2 Get 2 Free deal going on Non-Stop since September, and add that to the new $5 bin, and now I'm a Movie Gallery faithful again. Of course this also means, I just dropped about $100 over the last couple of days on cheap movies, but I can't resist a good deal.

Over The Last 2 Days, I picked up the following titles for $5.00 (No Full Screens unless that's the only way something is available on DVD):

Charlie (starring Luke Goss)
Dominion: Prequel To The Exorcist
Kinsey
Premonition
The Hebrew Hammer
Gus Van Sant's Last Days
11:14
Lackawanna Blues
Infection (Japanese Horror released by Lion Gate)
Crash
Team America: World Police
Volcano High (Original Korean version and American MTV version)
The Eye 2
Suspect Zero
Black Cadillac
Trauma (starring Colin Firth)

I also picked up Returner for $5.99, a really cool Japanese Sci-Fi action flick.

Last edited by stonecountry; 02-14-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Paycheck
Whale Rider
The Jacket

Hey man,

The Jacket got a bad rap with the critics. I thought it was surpisingly cool. It's a lot like The Butterfly Effect though, so I'd say if you like it you'll probably like The Jacket and vice versa.
Old 02-13-06, 08:21 AM

I might have to get more DVD cases myself. Some of them are pretty banged up. Stupid me forgot about the fact you can print out basically every dvd cover out there and slide it in a case. I have 4 movie gallery cases I could have done that with

Might have to dig through the trash this morning.
Old 02-13-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry
The Jacket got a bad rap with the critics. I thought it was surpisingly cool. It's a lot like The Butterfly Effect though, so I'd say if you like it you'll probably like The Jacket and vice versa.
So did the Butterfly Effect, and I definitely enjoyed it. Thanks for the reaffirm.

I'd look for the Whale Rider / Fly Away Home 2 pack at Walmart for $8.88. Fly Away Home is worth the extra $3.88.
Very true, but since The Jacket and Whale Rider are already on the "to-see" list, all I gotta do is find two more that are worth seeing (Paycheck, XXXXXXX) and we're in business for the Buy 2, Get 2. Thanks for the heads up, though. I doubt the Wally by me carries that, though.
Old 02-13-06, 02:42 PM

StoneCountry: Where is a good place to get your cases? eBay? I don't need 100's but it might be good to replace all these banged up MG cases with new ones.

Also what do you guys use to clean your discs?

Most of them I got are smudged but otherwise no worse for wear. Had one scratched pretty bad and am taking it back today for another. They only have like 50 of them
Old 02-13-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

StoneCountry: Where is a good place to get your cases? eBay? I don't need 100's but it might be good to replace all these banged up MG cases with new ones.

Most of them I got are smudged but otherwise no worse for wear. Had one scratched pretty bad and am taking it back today for another. They only have like 50 of them
I'd be interested in hearing the cheapest method of picking up some new cases also.

Regarding cleaning discs.. a little rubbing/isopropyl alcohol. Gently lean from the center out in straight lines using a lint free cloth.

I'd confirm that with others though as I wouldn't want to damage any discs if I'm mistaken.
Old 02-13-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best place to buy blank cases in bulk is on ebay. Find a seller on there who sells a lot of them, maybe even a seller who sells only cases exclusively. That's what I did. I got about 100 cases for $40.00 shipping included. Since he got them from old video stores and such for the most part, he had different kinds of cases. So I got about half double disc amaray cases and half regular keep cases and about 20 white Disney type cases. Pretty good deal, and most of the cases are in pretty good shape. You can always use some GOO GONE, the miracle thing for cleaning DVD Cases. You can pick it up at any Walmart. I even use it sometimes to take stickiness or smudges off used discs.

This will sound crazy...but...A trick my cousin taught me if you have a scratched disc that won't stop skipping is to let the disc sit in a pot of boiling water on a stove for about 2-5 mins. Leave the eye of the stove on while it sits in the boiling water too. Wipe it off gently with a cloth and try the DVD again. If it still isn't perfect, repeat the process up to 2 or 3 more times if you like. If it'll work at all, it'll usually work in 1 or 2 tries. If the scratches are TOO DEEP though it won't work. It has saved me from dumping a number of damaged discs though.
Old 02-14-06, 01:01 PM

Movie Gallery employee here.

Most of the Red Dot movies are the titles we need to get rid of, but that doesn't mean they're not great films. I think Crash for $5 is a steal. My store is pretty good with PVM's (previously viewed movies), we just pulled around 400 movies off the floor and are transferring them to PVM. It's crazy.
Old 02-14-06, 01:27 PM

caressque: Have you heard anything about converting rental stores into closeout stores like I found. The entire store is for selling PVM's.
Old 02-14-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

caressque: Have you heard anything about converting rental stores into closeout stores like I found. The entire store is for selling PVM's.
I've heard of it before. Happened to one of the MGs by me. Within one month of it converting to a "closeout" store, it was closed, permanently.

Hope that doesn't happen to your store.
Old 02-14-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only 1 thing of interest,which I was very happy to pick up...
Undead
Old 02-14-06, 11:20 PM

The closeout stores are basically stores that are closing down, so everything is converted to PVM product in order to get everything out of the store and at the same time making money (as opposed to just boxing it up and spending money to send it somewhere else)

Basically, if you have a store that changes to all PVM, well you won't have a store for much longer Though the deals are usually GREAT.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.