Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with choosing a tv

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate any help in trying to find a new tv. I am going to spend around $2000. I would also like to get it from circuit city or best buy...so if they have it all the better. I would mainly be using it for watching dvds and a little gaming and very little cable tv. I am going to be sitting about 7 feet away as well. Give some suggestions please.
Old 02-09-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think that you should get a Panasonic 42" ED Plasma for $1300 and pocket the other $700.

With HDTV not being a factor for you, there's no reason not to think ED. You'll be able to watch DVDs and play games progressively, and when you want to watch TV, it will be a very good picture for a fixed pixel display.
Old 02-09-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Panny EDTV is a good suggestion. I just bought a Samsung 50 inch DLP from circuit city (it is exactly $2000) and I love it. The plasmas are definitely cooler, but I wanted to extra screen real estate (50 inches is quite a bit larger than 42) and HD capability. Even if you don't watch much tv now, you may want an HD set to take advantage of Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD.
Old 02-10-06, 03:22 PM

DVD Josh,

I see quite a few 42" panasonic plasma edtvs. What is the one you are speaking of and where do I get it for that price? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-06, 04:08 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These days, I just cannot see getting an EDTV. Even if you don't think you'll watch much right now, I'd still consider going HDTV (unless you are going to upgrade in a couple years again).

Personally, I'd go with the 37" 1080p Sceptre LCD (http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...37SV-Naga.htm). Not sure you can get them from BestBuy or CC though (but maybe). A buddy of mine has one and they are simply amazing. Easily the best 37" LCD I have seen in person and only around $1,700. And it comes with a built-in ATSC tuner, so you can check out OTA-HDTV with no investment and be amazed at the picture.

I think this monitor won a Home Theater Secrets "Best of 2005" award, also.

I have a 37" LCD which I love, but doesn't do 1080p. If I could do it over now, I'd choose the Sceptre.