Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Discussion Thread (9.3 @ IGN)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 01:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some info trickling out about this game.

link to Podcast

Supposedly it is going gold between 2/8 - 2/17 and therefore being released somewhere between 2/18 - 3/1

If I never got into the first one for Xbox will this one be much better? I want to get excited about this game but im apprehensive. What are you people expecting?
Old 02-09-06, 02:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The sites I checked give 3/20 as the ship date, so not far off.

This one's pretty much a "must buy" for me (PC version).
Old 02-09-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Supposedly it is going gold between 2/8 - 2/17 and therefore being released somewhere between 2/18 - 3/1
Awesome news if true. This is the title I've been waiting for on the 360.

If I never got into the first one for Xbox will this one be much better? I want to get excited about this game but im apprehensive. What are you people expecting?
How much time did you spend on Morrowind? It usually takes several hours, ie. getting out of the first town, before you really start to see what the game is like. I'd imagine Oblivion will be the exact same way. This is a long, long game. You can't get much out of it if you only play it for a few hours and stop.
Old 02-09-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! I can't wait! I played Morrowind for more than 200 hours and only got through about half of the main quest before my Xbox crapped out. I never got back into it since I never got an Xbox that didn't have the dirty disc error problem. I'm going to be picking up Oblivion for my PC this time, although I might have to wait for my birthday in June.
Old 02-09-06, 07:05 PM

I read somewhere that Bethesda knew that some people felt that Morrowind was slow-going at the start of the game, so I expect the game to be faster-paced in that respect.

I hope that Oblivion gives you as much freedom and is as open-ended as Morrowind was.
Old 02-09-06, 08:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oblivion is even apparently even more open-ended than Morrowind, and you can interact with literally everything.

Also, I think 3/21 is the confirmed release date.
Old 02-09-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The sites I checked give 3/20 as the ship date, so not far off.

This one's pretty much a "must buy" for me (PC version).

5/5

Another classic Grouco post!
Old 02-10-06, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus

5/5

Another classic Grouco post!
Are we talking vapourware? Because this is a must buy (PC) for me if true, and I'm not a big gamer.
Old 02-10-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I need to do that computer upgrade really soon then.
Old 02-10-06, 10:00 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I spent a lot of hours on the original but I just sucked so bad at it. I couldnt hit anything and I kept wondering if my character was just made poorly. Maybe it was so complicated that it seemed like a chore? Hopefully this one will be better. I love a good rpg--KOTOR is my favorite.
Old 02-10-06, 11:45 AM

Yeah, part of what makes MW slow at first is the fact that unless you pick a combination like, say, Bosmer/Assassin, it's hard to land hits on monsters in the beginning. Stick with fighting rats & those slugs until you raise your weapon skill to a decent level.
Old 02-10-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
The screenshots and movie clips at the games official site look good (though the programmer narrating those videos sounds like he's 13). I really like Morrowind, but I just wish the NPCs were better (they all felt like robots, where the great RPGs manage to make their NPCs feel like real people). But the movie talking about the "Radient AI" system looks like their at least thinking about improving that. In the movie, the PC is visiting a magic user in her store. She has a dog, and they're supposedly not programmed to do specific things, but have set schedules, personalities, abilities, and interact with each on the fly. The woman's trying to do work and the dog keep barking, so she casts a Paralysis spell on it. It wears off, the dog keeps barking and trying to jump on the mage, so she blasts it with a fireball (her own dog!). I don't have an Xbox, and I'm really in the mood for a new, good single-player RPG, so I really look forward to this.
Old 02-10-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I spent a lot of hours on the original but I just sucked so bad at it. I couldnt hit anything and I kept wondering if my character was just made poorly. Maybe it was so complicated that it seemed like a chore? Hopefully this one will be better. I love a good rpg--KOTOR is my favorite.
Like "Gothic", game-balance was certainly a problem. Also like "Gothic", it took a bit of practice to figure out how the real-time attacks worked. Frustrating in the beginning, but then my character (without me powergaming) seemed to make a leap to uber-God well before the end. With the boots of super-speed (with a nice levitation enchantment), my character was flying all over the world like Superman!
Old 02-10-06, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The AI on the NPCs has taken a quantam leap from Morrowind. Apparently the game was ready to release earlier, but they made on character so smart that he actually beat the game before you did. He would hang around and eavesdrop on quests that you go on, then he'd rush ahead and beat it first. And he spent all the rest of his time upping his stats, so he actually killed the final boss in one hit in front of you. So they had to take him out and dumb down the AI somewhat. This is what I heard, anyway.
Old 02-25-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Preview from GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...ml?sid=6144925

Some of my main concerns were addressed, so I'm happy
Old 02-27-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be picking this up. I'm not a huge RPG fan...probably only played a few in the past 10 years. The only ones I remember are FFX and Fable, and I enjoyed both. I'm sure I'll get involved with this...
Old 02-27-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Preview from GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...ml?sid=6144925

Some of my main concerns were addressed, so I'm happy
Yes!
Old 02-27-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
I downloaded the interview that was posted on IGN a few days ago. The developer said that he knew exactly when it was coming out but they didn't want to release the date yet. I'm guessing the March 20th date that's showing up everywhere is accurate. Just downloaded the Oblivion 360 theme. Looks sick.
Old 02-27-06, 07:30 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Can't wait for this game. The list of achivements looks pretty neat.
Should be a fun game. Hopefully I'll have my 360/a 360 back from service by the time the game comes out.
Old 02-27-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Any chance this will have a 3rd person view?
Old 02-27-06, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm

Like Morrowind, Obilivion DOES have a 3rd person view too. I think you just have to click one of the buttons to go 3rd person view. The developers in one of their video documentaries talked about this and the want to go to 3rd person to sneak in shadows and stuff.
Old 02-27-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
I thought I read it did...but I could be completely wrong.
Old 02-27-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game is why I have a 360. Hopefully we only have to wait a few more weeks.

My wife was wondering if you can play two games with one profile. I don't think it'll be a problem, but you never know.
Old 03-02-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We've got a ship date:
Bethesda Softworks® and 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that the highly-anticipated role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™ has gone to gold master and will be available in stores in North America and Europe during the week of March 20. Oblivion will be available for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC in both regular and collector’s editions.

“Our most ambitious project ever is finally done,” said Todd Howard, executive producer of Oblivion. “We’re excited to get the game into everyone’s hands and let them experience it for themselves. We hope they enjoy it. I think it’s our best game yet.”

Oblivion is an epic, open-ended single-player RPG for the next generation providing gamers with one of the most life-like gaming experiences to date. The powerful combination of unprecedented graphics and freeform gameplay allows gamers to unravel the main quest or explore the vast world at their own pace. Oblivion is the fourth chapter in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series that includes Morrowind® (2002 RPG of the year – Computer Gaming World), Daggerfall™ (1996 RPG of the year -- PC Gamer), and Arena (1994 RPG of the year – Computer Player).

“Oblivion will set the new standard for next generation gaming and change the way role-playing games are viewed forever,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “We set very high goals and ensure they are reached because that is what our fans deserve and have come to expect from Bethesda Softworks. We are very proud of our team’s accomplishments with respect to Oblivion.”

Oblivion has already garnered numerous awards and an impressive collection of accolades, including being voted “RPG of Show” in 2005 by the Best of E3 Game Critics Awards. Oblivion ranks as one of the “Most Anticipated Games of 2006” according to PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN, and Yahoo Games among many others, and has been featured on nearly thirty magazine covers worldwide.

“Oblivion is one of the most anticipated video games of 2006 and its release will be a milestone for the Xbox 360 and PC,” said Christoph Hartmann, Managing Director, 2K Games. “A shining example of next-generation role-playing, Oblivion breaks new ground in the genre with unparalleled graphics, revolutionary gameplay and an expansive RPG world.”

Oblivion for Xbox 360 and PC, co-published by 2K Games and Bethesda Softworks, has been rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB. For more information on the title visit the official web site at www.elderscrolls.com.
Old 03-02-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Finally!! Time to go request the 2nd half of that week off from work...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.