Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What new Nintendo DS game to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What new Nintendo DS game to get?

I have a choice of these four games. Which game would you recommend and any reasons which may help my decision?

Animal Crossing
Mario & Luigi Saga
Advanced Wars
Age of Empires (when it is released)

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-09-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you ever played Animal Crossing for GC? If so, then I would skip that one, it is pretty much the same thing with a few new wrinkles. I have not played M&L Saga, but it looks really good from the demo. Advanced War is awesome, you can't go wrong with that.

No clue about AoE. My vote is either AW for strategy, or M&LS for some rpg goodness. Not on your list, but Resident Evil DS just came out, that looks like alot of fun too (even if it is a remake).
Old 02-09-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My personal pick would be Mario & Luigi.
Old 02-09-06, 10:06 AM
Suspended

If I could pick, I would say Phoenix Wright for your first choice. I am not sure if you have or considered that title, but I am having a blast with it.

Advance Wars would be my first choice, closely followed by Animal Crossing. I played AC nonstop for a month, and have not played it since.

Mario & Luigi, then Advance Wars in that order, although I have not played M&L, it is later on my buy list, after Trauma Center.
Old 02-09-06, 10:27 AM
Retired

Mario and Luigi would be my vote, but simply because I don't like Animal crossing or strategy games.

M&L does kick ass though.
Old 02-09-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Advance Wars would be my first choice, closely followed by Animal Crossing. I played AC nonstop for a month, and have not played it since.
I am the reverse. If you have WiFi available, AC is a no brainer. If not, then I'd say Advance Wars. Though you have asked about 3 TOTALLY different types of game.
Old 02-09-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All good choices but hands down it's Animal Crossing. A lot like the original but there is plenty of new things to do.
Old 02-09-06, 03:49 PM

Well I have never played AC on the gamecube and I do have Wi-Fi at my house to play online. I have never played Advance Wars either so I am torn. I want a game that gives lots of play time and does not get boring after playing for awhile.
Thanks for all the information so far.
Old 02-09-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
If you liked AC on the gamecube, you should like it here (unless you only liked the original for the NES games). I haven't had it for that long, but I have already spent far too much time playing.
Old 02-09-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Advanced Wars. I have 4 other DS games (the cream of the crop: Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright, Castlevania, and Mario 64) and the latter 3 remain unopened because I can't put advance wars down!
Old 02-09-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RM811
Well I have never played AC on the gamecube and I do have Wi-Fi at my house to play online. I have never played Advance Wars either so I am torn. I want a game that gives lots of play time and does not get boring after playing for awhile.
Thanks for all the information so far.
If you believe town simulation will be fun, then Animal Crossing all the way. I think most people in the AC thread, like myself, have played every day since getting it. Some days it's only ten minutes, other days I spend hours doing various activities. Plus, you can visit others and have them visit you, which gives us all more to do.

However, Advance Wars and Mario and Luigi are also recommended. Not sure about Age of Empires. There are other good games as well, in case you want to pick beyond these four.
Old 02-09-06, 07:26 PM
Retired

If play time's a big consideration, Mario and Luigi seems to take people 15-20 hours to beat. With most comments I've seen being toward the lower end. I was toward the latter as I couldn't figure out the best strategy for the last boss, but couldn't die either, so I played it continuusly for like an hour and half (not exaggerating) before I finally killed her.
Old 02-09-06, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm actually going to go against the grain and suggest waiting a week for Age of Empires. It's based on AoE 2, by far the best Age of Empires game, and it will have play mechanics similar to Advance Wars. And, hopefully it will have wi-fi capabilities so you can have big crazy colonial matches online.
Old 02-09-06, 09:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd get Animal Crossing, if I was you. The Gamecube AC is amazing, and it has a lot of replay.
Old 02-10-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I like AC but it is not for everyone. What keeps me playing is that I have seen what some people are doing with their towns and I want to do the same. I don't think it is a safe buy to get so if I were you I would go with Advance Wars but I personally like AC better.