Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are these examples of CUE?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally sat close enough to my 32" CRT HD set to notice an odd diagonal pattern show up often when viewing Peter Pan on my Philips DVP642.

In the first screenshot you can see the diagonal lines sloping downward to the right in the sky:

Bug 1

The second shot you can see the same diagonal lines on the stomach of the warrior:

Bug 2

Is this an example of CUE or The Chroma Bug?
Old 02-08-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope that looks more like a grounding issue. Do those lines move?
Old 02-09-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, they do. Grounding?
Old 02-09-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah a grounding issue can cause interference lines that scroll up and down or across the screen. Sometimes it's caused by poor grounding of a cable or sat line. Sometimes it will depend on where you have your components are plugged in, if the outlet is not grounded correctly. Try disconnecting all your components and then plug one at a time back in to see which one makes the problem appear.
Old 02-09-06, 09:59 AM
AOD

Here is an example of a chroma error with a link to a very thorough explanation (thanks to SECRETS)... As far as the grounding, you may want to invest in a good power filter. Maybe you are getting a lot of "noise". They are not really that expensive and work really well.

http://206.225.87.49/volume_8_2/dvd-...ug-4-2001.html

Old 02-09-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen that screenshot and it seemed similar to the weird stuff I was seeing. I run all components off of a UPS, and these 'lines' appear only occasionally. I'll try monkeying with the plugs and cabling, but as I've got a UPS I don't think that it is a power issue.

FYI, I run component from the DVD player to the HD CRT TV. I'll try swapping out the cabling.

Last edited by CheapBastid; 02-09-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should also try disconnecting your cable line from the TV. The problem might not be in the outlet but from the line itself. Also make sure that your electrical wires and your video cables are not near each other.
Old 02-10-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
I've seen that screenshot and it seemed similar to the weird stuff I was seeing. I run all components off of a UPS, and these 'lines' appear only occasionally. I'll try monkeying with the plugs and cabling, but as I've got a UPS I don't think that it is a power issue.

FYI, I run component from the DVD player to the HD CRT TV. I'll try swapping out the cabling.
If you look close, the Toy Story shot has lines in each color. Yours above are across the whole screen, the same line through many colors. I think that's the difference.

What UPS? They aren't the most helpful for an HT, except for watching a show through a power outage. Even those of us with projectors don't see much benefit. Not like a computer that you want to close and shut down properly so files don't get damaged. And some of them (cheaper ones, usually) have the wrong kind of output for HT. It's possible the UPS could be causing the lines, or at least not be enough to stop the grounding problem elsewhere. Maybe try without it for another test.
Old 02-10-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll monkey with the set tonight (I've not had a chance).

The reason I thought it might be CUE was that the lines tend to show up in the reds (the purple sky was an unusal place for them to show up). They're very rarely across the whole image, if ever.

As my DVD Player has been acting up (micro and sometimes not-so-micro freezes), could it be something wrong with the DVD player?