Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warning: Private Lessons DVD has been CENSORED!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 09:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those interested in picking up the early-80's teen sex comedy "Private Lessons" which was released on DVD today...I just rented a copy from Netflix and to my horror the movie has been CENSORED!!

Two quick shots of Sylvia Kristel's coochie (actually her body double, I think) have been covered up by a VERY large, VERY obtrusive grey BLOB. What's funny is the 2nd shot (which was uncensored on Showtime, luckily I still have a tape of that version) you barely notice any pubic hair unless you pause & go frame by frame -- but it got a big ugly grey BLOB anyway. Oh, and the movie's in fullscreen, too.

The commentary's pretty funny, though...the writer, director, and Howard Hesseman spend all 87 minutes complaining about what a hatchet job the producers & editors did to their masterwork.
Old 02-07-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember that movie. Really bad in a good sort of way.

But I don't remember the grey blobs.
Old 02-07-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have some asian import of it and it isn't censored. Thank god I didn't replace it.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-08-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I have the Korean import and it has the same censoring- pixels during the strip scene and very brief-ly during the end. Sounds like they used the same transfer. (I once saw this movie UNcensored on broadcast- not cable- TV too!)

I'll have to find a way to hear that commentary track without buying the disc, since I've got tons of questions on how they got away with making that movie in the first place. I once heard the writer Dan Greenburg on the Larry King show say that the book this was based on was more of a thriller dealing with the whole blackmail thing, but the movie turned out more as a comedy. I've been meaning to read the book but haven't ever been able to find a copy.
Old 02-08-06, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'll have to find a way to hear that commentary track without buying the disc, since I've got tons of questions on how they got away with making that movie in the first place.
If you mean how they got away with filming all the romantic scenes between a 30-year-old woman and a minor, you'll be disappointed, as they don't broach that topic at all. (I too was interested in hearing more about that.) Mostly what they talk (or rather, complain) about is how the producers & editors replaced several scenes without their consent, and all the problems during the shoot. It's actually quite amusing -- my favorite story is how they had to fly in a new camera to Phoenix from Los Angeles, but the producer refused to go pick it up at the airport because he was getting his car washed!

I've been meaning to read the book but haven't ever been able to find a copy.
Amazon Marketplace has several used copies for sale.
Old 02-14-06, 03:33 PM

I got a chance to pick this one up today at Best Buy, and that gray spot is annoying as hell! I remember this was broadcast on Fox 11 here in OC in the mid 80's, one of those friday nights showing. Stupid Artisan for messing this one up!
Old 03-03-06, 12:31 PM

I have the old VHS version and it wasn't censored, not that you could see that much anyway. You can tell the DVD image is from an old print from all the timing marks in the upper right corner.
Old 03-03-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Feh. I remember seeing this movie on HBO as a kid and loving it (I guess that's not surprising), and was curious about whether it would hold up now that I'm grown up, but fuck it, I simply will not bother with a shitty transfer that's censored!