Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Waiting... - Unrated & Raw'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 03:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Waiting... - Unrated & Raw at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19954 and...Scott, can you explain a little more about this "Expanded Telestrator Commentary"? Is this on the 2nd disc and presents the entire, uncut feature like a play by play (something John Madden would do on MNF)? In essence getting an alternate/another version of the film with this special commentary by the director...
Old 02-07-06, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Scott, yup. It's on disc 2 and it's the full movie, only longer because McKittrick and Balis freeze and rewind the flick several times.

I dunno if I'd exactly call it an "alternate" version of the movie; consider it a traditional filmmaker's commentary with a few geeky little gimmicks. If you're a fan of the flick, I suspect you'll enjoy it.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Old 02-07-06, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott explains it pretty well and I'll just add my explanation. If a commentary is the equivalent to the director sitting on your couch talking about the film as you watch it, this commentary also gives him the DVD remote so that he can pause during sections of the film to explain things in more detail without running into the next scene and having to either cut his story short or not talk about the new scene. Rob and Jeff also had a Madden/NFL-type telestrator to draw on screen throughout as well.

I will also say that, despite the commentary running nearly 40-minutes longer than the actual film, there's really no dead air throughout. Rob and Jeff had absolutely no problems coming up with stuff to talk about during the track and I feel it's a solidly packed commentary.

Cliff
Old 02-07-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so, its similar to the Swingers and Made commentary tracks with vince vaughn and jon faverou
Old 02-08-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
so, its similar to the Swingers and Made commentary tracks with vince vaughn and jon faverou
Just that McKittrick and Balis are able to rewind and pause whereas Vince and Jon are not able to.
Old 02-08-06, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
The telestrator part of the commentary is similar to the Swingers and Made tracks, but being able to pause and rewind the movie is something completely new and unique to Waiting...