Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Space: Above and Beyond

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Space: Above and Beyond

I have been on the fence about getting this set for a long time, having read about poor disc quality (freeze-ups, bubbles on many discs, etc.).

Has anyone here had trouble with the above-mentioned problems or is it just a bad batch that got through? I remember this series fondly and would like to pick it up - Buy.com has a $5 off $45 coupon right now w/free shipping (and also the lowest price listed at dvdpricesearch.com)...
Old 02-05-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can live with the Babylon 5 space station on the menu screen I'd say fo for it.
Old 02-05-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a thread from IMDB on this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112173/board/flat/25822286
You may have to login there to read it.

A lot of people do seem to be having problems, but others claim that the problem is limited to older dvd players and that the discs work fine on the newer pro-scan players. YMMV. I wanted to get this set, but since money is a bit tight I am going to wait on it - they might recall the set eventually. If i were you, I'd either rent the set or buy it from a local store where you could easily return it. At least look into buy.com's return policies.
Old 02-05-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. It looks like the problems are pretty much across the board with it.

I've been waiting and waiting for Netflix to have it available for rent - even sent in a request. They have almost everything and was really surprised that they don't carry it.

I do think I will pick it up from a local store instead... I've had trouble with Buy.com with rebates and cancelling orders...
Old 02-05-06, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I would rent the set for now to a) see if you still like it as much and b) wait to see if a corrected version comes out. I picked mine up from BestBuy when it first came out and ran into the problems mentioned (on only 1 of the DVDs though). When I took it back to BestBuy for exchange they just refunded my CC so I didn't bother picking up a replacement (since I think my memories of it were more enjoyable than seeing it again ). Not to mention the fact having no conclusion kind of leaves you hanging at the end of the series
Old 02-05-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
A recall is extremely unlikely. I don't believe Fox has ever recalled any of their previous glitchy TV-on-DVD releases.

The show has sufficient closure in the last episode, IMO.
Old 02-05-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to rent it, but have not been able to find it. What video chain or online rental place carries it?
Old 02-05-06, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The show has sufficient closure in the last episode, IMO.
Spoiler:
I guess if you assume most/all of them die there is closure. Personally I would have liked something better/more definative. I don't mind killing them all off (in true war is fashion) but they left the question open. It made for a great cliff hanger/end of season but not an end of series IMHO. Not to mention there are still a lot in unanswered questions about the involvement w/ the corporation and the aliens
Old 02-05-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Spoiler:
I guess if you assume most/all of them die there is closure. Personally I would have liked something better/more definative. I don't mind killing them all off (in true war is fashion) but they left the question open. It made for a great cliff hanger/end of season but not an end of series IMHO. Not to mention there are still a lot in unanswered questions about the involvement w/ the corporation and the aliens
There are still some unanswered questions in the hope of a second season, but Morgan and Wong knew that their ratings were in the toilet and a renewal was extremely unlikely. They structured the last 2-parter to function as either a cliffhanger or a finale.

No, not all of the loose ends of the plot are tied up, but the show has emotional closure for the characters, which is actually more important.