Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Flight 93" movie on A&E...anyone see this?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight 93 on A&E 1/30/2006

I saw a good review for this somewhere.
Old 01-30-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe Jeffrey Nordling is actually playing a good guy here?!?

Surprised he is not one of the terrorists.
Old 02-04-06, 01:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Very chilling and realistic. I don't see how any theatrical release could do the event as much justice as this little gem.
Old 02-04-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Why not?
Old 02-04-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was surprisingly well done. The subject was dealt with in a realistic way and pretty much devoid of sugary sweet scenes or stereotypical hysteria that you might have expected about the first dramatic take on Flight 93. I strongly agree with scott1598 -- the theatrical release is going to have to go some to top this.
Old 02-04-06, 06:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
Why not?
because this was so well done, that i think anything theatrical would just seem like exploitation, rather than homage which this very much was.
Old 02-04-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Excellent film. Very suspenseful and I thought it paid a great tribute to those who were on that flight. There was another film that aired on Discovery on 9/11 that Kiefer Sutherland narrated and that one was so intriguing to watch as well.
Old 02-04-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something that kind of made me laugh was when the hijacker got into the pilot seat and the first thing he did was carefully buckle his seat belt. I guess he was worried about getting hurt.

Then I immediately felt bad for laughing at a 9/11 movie.
Old 02-04-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I only saw about 15-20 minutes of it and was not that impressed. The acting was terribly forced and didn't seem natural for how I would think people in that situation would act. What was up with everyone's wife answering the phone with a baby in tow? Sometimes two or three at a time. I understand that these people had family and children, but it seemed like they were beating you over the head with it.
Old 02-05-06, 12:45 AM

this movie is currently saved on my DVR. glad to hear good things about it. i will more than likely transfer it to a tape to go along with all the other 9/11 documentries that i have somewhat collected. i just came to the realization that i have been keeping these documentries so that one day if my kids wanna see actual footage or are somewhat curious, i will have them preserved on VHS. in 10-15 years where my kids would actually care, where am i gonna find a vhs player?
Old 02-05-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superman69
this movie is currently saved on my DVR. glad to hear good things about it. i will more than likely transfer it to a tape to go along with all the other 9/11 documentries that i have somewhat collected. i just came to the realization that i have been keeping these documentries so that one day if my kids wanna see actual footage or are somewhat curious, i will have them preserved on VHS. in 10-15 years where my kids would actually care, where am i gonna find a vhs player?
I would get everything on DVD for the kids -- I have 18 DVDs on the shelf re: 9/11 for the nieces and nephews when they're old enough.
Old 02-05-06, 01:05 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I caught the last hour of it. Well done.

I have to admit that I teared up at the end when the guy on the plane and the operator recited the Lord's Prayer together.
Old 02-05-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I only saw about 15-20 minutes of it and was not that impressed. The acting was terribly forced and didn't seem natural for how I would think people in that situation would act. What was up with everyone's wife answering the phone with a baby in tow? Sometimes two or three at a time. I understand that these people had family and children, but it seemed like they were beating you over the head with it.
I watched around an hour of it (I was more busy flipping than anything else), and I have the same opinion as you do on it. Very un-natural and very forced. I believe that's simply for the reason that the writer/director/producers wanted to not only show the people on Flight 93 reactions, but also the people they were trying to reach and contact at the same time.

I'm going on a hunch and saying Greengrass' version of it in April will be better simply on the fact that the entire film (supposedly) takes place in the plane (no cut backs to anything else).
Old 02-05-06, 09:56 PM

I cried the whole way through it, but I'm pregnant and emotional. I thought it was very well done- but that might be a biased opinion.
Old 02-06-06, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I really think subjects pertaining to history like this should wait 20 years before making a film on it, to me it is still too early to watch this. Then again, it is my opinion and I am sure that many will disagree cause it seemed that many here enjoyed it.
Old 02-06-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

damn... i missed it .... anyone know when it will play again
Old 02-06-06, 07:17 AM

i saw it, and enjoyed it. Thought it was interesting how they where asking about the other planes that crashed into the towers and the entire bomb situation. Worth checking it out.
Old 02-06-06, 03:16 PM

It's different from this, right?

http://flight93.net/
Old 02-06-06, 03:45 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I enjoyed it, I thought it was well done. Kudos to the producers/director for not putting in a cheesy soundtrack.
Old 02-06-06, 03:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I have to admit that I teared up at the end when the guy on the plane and the operator recited the Lord's Prayer together.
This is all I saw, and I thought it was way too over-the-top with the melodrama. It's "too soon" for me to watch the whole thing.
Old 02-06-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I watched around an hour of it (I was more busy flipping than anything else), and I have the same opinion as you do on it. Very un-natural and very forced.
Granted, I only caught the last hour, but I guess I was watching a different flick. I didn't catch the "unnatural", "forced" acting that ya'll are talking about. If you wanna see that, you should've seen Smallville's "vigilante" last week. Ugh.

And as for the over-the-top-ed-ness, if it's basically a faithful retelling of what happened that day (it is, in'nit?), what makes it "melodramatic"?
Old 02-06-06, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I caught the last hour of it. Well done.

I guess that means all hell will break loose if this is ever shown in public schools.
Old 02-06-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the part when the Verizon operator was looking up in her crisis manual and could not find a page for how to handle a hijacking.

It reminded me of the scene in Being John Malkovich where John Cusack, the unemployed puppeter, is looking in the want ads under "P".
Old 02-06-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Granted, I only caught the last hour, but I guess I was watching a different flick. I didn't catch the "unnatural", "forced" acting that ya'll are talking about. If you wanna see that, you should've seen Smallville's "vigilante" last week. Ugh.

And as for the over-the-top-ed-ness, if it's basically a faithful retelling of what happened that day (it is, in'nit?), what makes it "melodramatic"?
I was actually being nice with those terms. The twenty minutes I saw struck me as so cheesy I couldn't believe someone would give it the greenlight for a 9/11 movie so soon after the fact. I'd place this with all the other coal miner's trapped/girl falls down a well/ movies of the week. Perhaps the subject matter is influencing some opinions here or perhaps I saw the worst twenty minutes of the movie. Or maybe I'm just in the minority with my opinion on this. Any way, I call them as I see them.
Old 09-09-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw this on A&E. It was hit-or-miss in places--some reactions seemed over the top, some were too underplayed, some felt real. The scenes on the plane were well-done, I thought.

It was very difficult for me to watch, though. When the terrorists put on their red bandanas and stood up I realized that my heart was beating so hard I could feel it in my chest--it was like a flashback to five years ago, even though I obviously wasn't on any plane at the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.