Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How long can you keep a bottle of opened wine?

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 07:13 PM
In the fridge, does it last a day? A week? A month?

I'm thinking of trying red wine. What should I get? I don't normally drink wine and when I do, it's only been a crisp white wine, like a Riesling.

Thanks.

Aphex Twin
02-03-06, 07:16 PM
You should buy one of those wine caps that seal air-tight.

Th0r S1mpson
02-03-06, 07:16 PM
Put a cork in it, kitty. :mad:

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 07:17 PM
Put a cork in it, kitty. :mad:

:lol: Ok then.

Th0r S1mpson
02-03-06, 07:20 PM
I'd say 5 days, well corked.

illennium
02-03-06, 07:21 PM
A day or so. And yes, airtight corks are helpful.

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 07:23 PM
Ok, what is this "airtight cork" and where do I get one?

Also, what kind of red wine should I try?

4KRG
02-03-06, 07:24 PM
corked and in the fridge it will "last" a very long time. By "last" I mean it won't turn to poison or anyting that will harm you.

All that you will really lose is taste. You should get a Vacuum Pump
Bottle Sealer type plug for the bottle http://store.yahoo.com/kitchenhome/naeswibovase.html

Then see what fits your taste. You will find a # of days where it just doesn't taste good anymore :)

4KRG
02-03-06, 07:28 PM

Chicks like sweet :)

Mavrodaphne

http://greekproducts.com/greekproducts/mavrodaphne/

http://www.wine.com/wineshop/product_detail.asp?PProduct_ID=WWH3GRACMA2_0&Nu=p_family_name

Th0r S1mpson
02-03-06, 07:51 PM
Start with a Merlot.

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Thor and 4KRG. I will give it a try.

crazyronin
02-03-06, 08:01 PM

Might I suggest a Durex '98

;)

runs from thread

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 08:10 PM
Might I suggest a Durex '98

;)

runs from thread

rotfl

*runs after crazyronin and beats the living shit out of him*

jonw9
02-03-06, 08:16 PM
I usually screw the cap back on it and lasts until the next weekend, but I don't know if Boone's farm comes in red, but strawberry hill is kinda pink.

The Bus
02-03-06, 08:18 PM
Well, look on the wrapper. They usually last a couple of years at least, as long as nothing punctures the package -- that would cause the latex to dry out.

The Dude
02-03-06, 08:19 PM
If it's more than 2/3 of a bottle, with a vacu-seal top it will last a very long while. Under 1/3 of a bottle, DRINK IT SOON!

crazyronin
02-03-06, 08:22 PM
rotfl

*runs after crazyronin and beats the living shit out of him*

promises, promises....:eyebrow:

crazyronin
02-03-06, 08:23 PM
Well, look on the wrapper. They usually last a couple of years at least, as long as nothing punctures the package -- that would cause the latex to dry out.

:thumbsup: catch some of the heat, brother!
rotfl

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 08:57 PM
:grunt: *stomps out of thread to pout*

crazyronin
02-03-06, 09:06 PM
To be serious try a shiraz...Oz wines are quite good...

and :grouphug: for kitty.

As they say in carpentry, if I didn't like ya, I wouldn't make fun of ya

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 09:13 PM
To be serious try a shiraz...Oz wines are quite good...

and :grouphug: for kitty.

As they say in carpentry, if I didn't like ya, I wouldn't make fun of ya

You don't know me very well, do you? ;) :lol:

Thor says unpreserved Italian red wines are good. I'm going to hit one of the local hippy grocery stores tomorrow and see what I can find, if anything.

Th0r S1mpson
02-03-06, 09:44 PM
I told you, it might be hard to fine wine in the US without the preservatives. :shrug:

Make a quick trip to Italy this weekend.

You will want an "organic wine" or something. Maybe they are more common these days with the organic craze, but I sure haven't seen them yet. I also haven't looked in the past 3-4 years.

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 10:43 PM
I'm in Yuppy Beaverton, I'm sure I can find organic wine somewhere around here. :D

Thanks again, Thor.

Th0r S1mpson
02-03-06, 11:05 PM
I'm in Yuppy Beaverton, I'm sure I can find organic wine somewhere around here. :D

Thanks again, Thor.
Just a tip for shopping in Beaverton: If it's green, rolled up, and you have to light it, it's not organic wine... no matter what they tell you.

Kittydreamer
02-03-06, 11:15 PM
Just a tip for shopping in Beaverton: If it's green, rolled up, and you have to light it, it's not organic wine... no matter what they tell you.

rotfl Have you been to my neighborhood before, Thor? :lol:

cultshock
02-03-06, 11:40 PM
We have some decent wines from here in the Niagara Peninsula (Canada) too, but I'm not sure how much of it shows up in your neck of the woods.

al_bundy
02-04-06, 09:25 AM

Thanks again, Thor.

i tried some organic wine a few years ago after i saw a report about it on cnbc. It still had sulfites.

when i was in italy i used to take my jug to the winery and buy the fresh batch right there. The wine they made in 1999, i drank in 1999 and early 2000. Not 2 years later like I do in the US.

jfoobar
02-04-06, 10:15 AM
Still, non-fortified wines start to deteriorate very rapidly. A re-corked red or white wine is really only optimal in the fridge for about 48 hours. One of those vacu-seal corks helps slightly. If you have an inert gas system, those will keep a wine fresh for much, much longer but they are expensive.

You should generally plan on finishing or dumping a wine 2 nights after you open it.

As for red wines to try, the default answer is Merlot. However, a substantial majority of the less expensive Merlot's on the market are crap. Look for Oregon, Washington or NY state (Long Island) Merlot's in the $12-$16 range and you will probably get a pretty good one that isn't stewed garbage like most of the sub-$10 mass market stuff. The trick is to find one that is made from quality grapes that have ripened enough to not have unpleasant vegital character but is not overcooked in the hot sun either.

The reason Merlot is so often recommended is it's relatively low tannins (the puckery feeling in the mouth like one gets from a strong tea). The other go-to red wine, at least from California, is Cabernet Sauvignon (aka "Cab"), which tends to be fairly tannic, especially when young. Merlot's popularity is mostly due to its approachability compared to Cabernet but somewhat similar flavoring.

That being said, there are lots of great red wines out there to try. As mentioned, Shiraz (Aussie for "Syrah", the same grape) is typically a much better buy at the lower price points, but it is ofetn not quite as approachable as Merlot.

Others to try out include:

1. Malbec, usually from the Mendoza area of Argentina. Solid wines at very favorable price points.
2. Valpolicella and Bardolino from Italy. The Bolle Valpo is easy to find and pretty good but stay away from their Bardo, which is shallow. Also, Dolcetto is another good Italian alternative.
3. Chinon from the central Loire in France. It is made from Cabernet Franc and is, IMHO, delicious.
4. Austrian Zweigelt
5. BEAUJOLAIS! A juicy and very approachable red from the southern end of Burgundy in France. Look for "Beaujolais-Villages" (pronounced "villaj") versus regular Beaujolais from fairyl easy to find brands like Louis Jadot and Georges Deboeuf and others. After that, step up to cru-Beaujolais like Morgon and Moulin-a-vent. The best thing about Beaujolais is its price.

That should be enough to get you started.

BobDole42
02-04-06, 10:48 AM
I once refused to buy a friend one of those vacuum pumps for wine (it was on her wedding registry) out of principle. Not finishing a bottle of wine is just wrong, and I won't stand for it. :)

criptik28
02-04-06, 10:51 AM
I just tried an opened bottle of Riesling that I had corked in my fridge for about 3 weeks. Was still OK...cringed every time I took a sip though.

Mrs. Danger
02-04-06, 10:57 AM
I'm still trying to get a grasp on the concept of "leftover wine".

If you can't finish it off yourself, have friends over to help you with it.

TomOpus
02-04-06, 11:17 AM
And I thought I was the first one to wonder how Kitty could have any leftover alcohol.

:flowers: for Kitty before she beats the shit out of me too

jfoobar
02-04-06, 12:48 PM
I once refused to buy a friend one of those vacuum pumps for wine (it was on her wedding registry) out of principle. Not finishing a bottle of wine is just wrong, and I won't stand for it. :)

I do own one. They do help somewhat. If nothing else, they help keep a corked bottle of wine leak-free since I store even opened wine on its side (I have a wine fridge).

I rarely down more than 4-5oz pours in an evening and my wife won't touch red and is picky about whites (she is also a Reisling fan).

Another storage tip is to not throw away those half-size bottles when you get one as half-consumed full bottles can be poured into those to lower the amount of air in the bottle and make it store just a little longer.

Kittydreamer
02-04-06, 02:13 PM
I'm still trying to get a grasp on the concept of "leftover wine".

If you can't finish it off yourself, have friends over to help you with it.

I have a very low tolerence for alcohol and too much of it makes me really sick.

criptik28
02-04-06, 02:14 PM
True, I almost never have leftover wine. Pretty much any one of my friends and I can polish off a bottle in an hour.

ShallowHal
02-04-06, 03:19 PM
I'm not a wine guy, but I really like the 2004 Mirassou Pinot Noir. It's dry, but not that alchohol still in your mouth dry. I don't like to taste alchohol much, so for me to like a wine, it has to be good.

It was one of half a dozen bottles I got from $10 - $25, and I like it better than the $25 bottle. Try it if you can find it (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=2004+Mirassou+Pinot+Noir&spell=1)!

crazyronin
02-04-06, 03:21 PM
I have a very low tolerence for alcohol and too much of it makes me dance nekkid on tables.

fixed;)

Kittydreamer
02-04-06, 03:57 PM
fixed;)

:lol:

I'm going to try Thor's recommendation tonight. I got me a nice bottle of Columbia Crest 2002 Merlot. :D

*gets ready to dance naked on tables*

Sdallnct
02-04-06, 06:13 PM
If it is just the wife and I, I use a cork pull rather then a screw. This way the cork stay in tact, and a bottle of red easly last from one weekend to the next. I have never tried longer then that.

A Merlot is a "safe" choice is you are new to red's or just don't drink a lot of reds.

Personally this is my favorite,

http://www.charleskrug.com/assets/managed/wines/wine20050927x010856.jpg

Charles Krug Napa Valley Zinfandel.

I love trying different Zinfandels (the real red stuff, not the wine cooler white zin). For me (and I'm no wine expert), I can really tell the difference among different Zin's. You can get smokey, chocolatey, heavy, lighter, etc.

There is a good Zin I pick up at Sams pretty regularly, but I can't remember the name right off.

Seeker
02-05-06, 11:25 PM
You can keep wine for quite a while - just after about 3 days, it's cooking wine, not drinking wine.