Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

SONY KV-34XBR910 problems...SONY wants to swap mine with one from their "B-stock"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

SONY KV-34XBR910 problems...SONY wants to swap mine with one from their "B-stock"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SONY KV-34XBR910 that I bought 2 years ago. My Warranty with SONY is close to expiration, and I have had problems with the auto-degaussing intermittently not working. They replaced the "A" board, and it worked for 3 months and then it happened again. SONY has offered to take back the TV and replace it with "b stock" of the same model..which basically means with a refurbished unit, or open box, etc... I don't know what I should do. I know my TV is is mint condition on the exterior...no scratches, etc... Now, the guy at customer support said the replacement from "b stock" could have a small cosmetic flaw or scratch on the casing of the TV, but the tube, etc... would be fine. I know my TV, I know I have never watched with the brightness and picture turned all the way up, putting wear and tear on the CRT, and I just am bothered accepting a TV that I don't know the history on. I need some opinions. Anyone else out there who this has happened to. Should I keep mine, and make them keep doing the repair until it works, or accept the exchange. They will give me an additional 6 month warranty on the "b stock" unit, and I still have 3 years left on my Circuit City extended warranty, but I don't know if circuit city will void my warranty if I swap the set. PLEASE HELP! I don't know what to do!! Anyone who knows how rigorously they inspect the TV's they refurbish, or who has had a similar situation, please help me out!
Old 02-03-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you still have 3 years on the circuit city warranty, keep the tv you have. This is a no-brainer. The b-stock tv likely wont' be covered by the warranty and, as you said, it could be cosmetically flawed. The tube isn't really an issue since it's a direct view set (no burn in). If it keeps breaking, circuit city may give you store credit to buy a new set (they have some sort of "no lemon" policy build into the warranties, I believe.)
Old 02-03-06, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

thanks

Thanks BobDole, I'm leaning that way. I VERY disappointed with SONY
Old 02-03-06, 03:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but I don't know if circuit city will void my warranty if I swap the set
More than likely they will. I know in a similar situation BestBuy will (I don't usually shop at CC)
Old 02-03-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bbruinsma3
Thanks BobDole, I'm leaning that way. I VERY disappointed with SONY
My XBR400 died a few months out of warranty. The repair was going to cost over $600 so I threw it away. I paid $2000 for that tv. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe you will get a new tv from circuit city out of this!
Old 02-03-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely try CC over Sony. Most manufacturing companies will supply replacements from B stock, not new stock, Sony is not alone in this. Whereas a retailer might be bullied into a new box off the shelf.
Old 02-03-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Definitely try CC over Sony. Most manufacturing companies will supply replacements from B stock, not new stock, Sony is not alone in this. Whereas a retailer might be bullied into a new box off the shelf.
Try the "I paid $400 for this damn warranty" argument. Good luck!
Old 02-04-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
To me the issue will come down to if both parties will keep their full warranties.

You have had your "new" set repaired, that makes it refurbished. So swapping out refurbished for refurbished doesn't seem totally out of line. True you don't know the history, but in fact the refurbished you get could be in better shape then yours. You just never know.

I would do your homework and see how the warranties work if you swap out. Also, obviously the best bet would be to see if CC would just refund your money and you can start a new. I would have as much concern for your current tv, two repairs in two years might start meaning a trend you have to deal with on a regular basis. Or maybe the next fix "will get it right".
Old 02-05-06, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
To me the issue will come down to if both parties will keep their full warranties.

You have had your "new" set repaired, that makes it refurbished. So swapping out refurbished for refurbished doesn't seem totally out of line. True you don't know the history, but in fact the refurbished you get could be in better shape then yours. You just never know.

I would do your homework and see how the warranties work if you swap out. Also, obviously the best bet would be to see if CC would just refund your money and you can start a new. I would have as much concern for your current tv, two repairs in two years might start meaning a trend you have to deal with on a regular basis. Or maybe the next fix "will get it right".

MY extended CC warranty will be void if I get a different serial number TV. I have 3 yrs left on that warranty. SONY will offer me a 3 month...which after arguing they agreed to upgrade to a 6 month... on the refurb they send out to me. I mean at least with my TV I know what the problem is...with a refurb, the problem could have been anything ...from minor, like mine, to VERY serious!! I just want the rest of the 5 year warranty I bought to continue!!!
Old 02-05-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
MY extended CC warranty will be void if I get a different serial number TV. I have 3 yrs left on that warranty. SONY will offer me a 3 month...which after arguing they agreed to upgrade to a 6 month... on the refurb they send out to me. I mean at least with my TV I know what the problem is...with a refurb, the problem could have been anything ...from minor, like mine, to VERY serious!! I just want the rest of the 5 year warranty I bought to continue!!!
Well, think about this logically - if you get a new TV from CC, then the warranty has served it's purpose. The contract is fulfilled. There is NO reason that you shouldn't have to purchase a new warranty with the new TV.
Old 02-05-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well, think about this logically - if you get a new TV from CC, then the warranty has served it's purpose. The contract is fulfilled. There is NO reason that you shouldn't have to purchase a new warranty with the new TV.
that is pure tom-foolery. if CC replaces the set per the ext warr, the warr remains in effect.
Old 02-05-06, 11:56 PM
Cool New Member

the operative word being NEW!!! Sony wanted to give me a refurbed XBR910 with a 3 month warranty, which would void the CC warranty, because it is for the set that bought ONLY!
Old 02-06-06, 12:01 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would deal with CC. You bought their extended warranty for that reason, to deal with CC rather than the manufacturer. Forget about dealing with SONY, they have no reason at all to care that you have the extended warranty and wish to keep it valid.

Eventually, if it cannot be replaced or continues to break down, CC will provide you with a new model or credit toward a new model.
Old 02-06-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the operative word being NEW!!! Sony wanted to give me a refurbed XBR910 with a 3 month warranty, which would void the CC warranty, because it is for the set that bought ONLY!
Ah...got a little confused with all that was going on.

Why are you dealing with Sony? Deal with CC directly, that's what you bought the warranty for.
Old 02-06-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Yup, I agree...deal with CC. Have them repair or exchange and then continue with your warranty or buy a new warranty.

Might be a good time to read your warranty as well. Some warranties are 5 years no matter how many tv's they buy you, others "expire" once they swap out TV's the first time.
Old 02-06-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the CC warranty does NOT expire when they swap the set out. It is for the full 5 years. I have had multiple replacements under CC warranties. What an absurd warranty it would be if, one day and one year after buying the set, CC replaced it and cancelled the remaining 4 years of warranty. You can re-read your warranty to be sure, but you will find that I am right. I don't know where people are getting this idea that the warranty is void once you replace the set. Now if Sony gives you a new set, that could be a different story. Stick with CC and you will be covered for the full 5 years.
Old 02-08-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait! Wait for the Sony warranty to expire or else Circuit City will refer you back to Sony.
Old 02-08-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobDole42
the CC warranty does NOT expire when they swap the set out. It is for the full 5 years. I have had multiple replacements under CC warranties. What an absurd warranty it would be if, one day and one year after buying the set, CC replaced it and cancelled the remaining 4 years of warranty. You can re-read your warranty to be sure, but you will find that I am right. I don't know where people are getting this idea that the warranty is void once you replace the set. Now if Sony gives you a new set, that could be a different story. Stick with CC and you will be covered for the full 5 years.
The policy doesn't lie:

http://www.circuitcity.com/image/web...tage_video.pdf

P.3 - Coverage ends on receipt of replacement.

What absurd warranty would have you covered even AFTER the warranty has been fulfilled?

This is a warranty: In a broad sense, an agreement or undertaking by a seller to be responsible for present or future losses of the purchaser occasioned by deficiency or defect in the quality, condition or quantity of the thing sold

If it's broke, they replace it. Warranty fulfilled, warranty over.

It's really quite simple.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 02-09-06 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The policy doesn't lie:

What absurd warranty would have you covered even AFTER the warranty has been fulfilled?

This is a warranty: In a broad sense, an agreement or undertaking by a seller to be responsible for present or future losses of the purchaser occasioned by deficiency or defect in the quality, condition or quantity of the thing sold

Typically, CC will issue a new warranty on the replacement unit for the remaining term of the original warranty and then credit the cost the warranty. For instance, I recently replaced a 3 y/o open box DVD Recorder that I could never get to work properly. I had purchased a 5 yr warranty (due to open box concerns). CC tried to repair the old unit, but could not so they issued me a credit for the purchase price of the unit. I used this (plus about $70) to purchase a new DL DVD Recorder. CC then issued a 2 yr extended warranty on the new unit. Altogether, I spent about $85 (including taxes) to upgrade to a Dual Layer unit...

I agree with other posters. Skip Sony and work with CC. Worst case scenario is you get a credit toward a new TV which may be a newer model/higher quality for the same price as your original purchase.

EDIT: Just noticed that Josh was looking at the wrong type of warranty. The one linked ot is for media and small item purchases (i.e. cheap warranty for cheap items). It is not the regular CC extended service plan.

Last edited by wlmowery; 02-13-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The policy doesn't lie:

Josh,

Did I do something to upset you? I have noticed that you disagree with me in almost every post I make to which you respond. It's okay if you don't like me (I'm a bit irascible), but the last two times you disagreed with me you have been flat-out wrong and have given the OP bad advice (this thread and the DLP for gaming thread). Your statements such as "think about it logically" and "it's really quite simple" seem to be aimed at discrediting me. While I don't care if you don't like me or think I'm wrong, please be careful to, you know, actually be right when you call me out. I can take it, but I don't like the idea that other members are getting bad advice from you.

Last edited by BobDole42; 02-13-06 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Josh,

Did I do something to upset you? I have noticed that you disagree with me in almost every post I make to which you respond. It's okay if you don't like me (I'm a bit irascible), but the last two times you disagreed with me you have been flat-out wrong and have given the OP bad advice (this thread and the DLP for gaming thread). Your statements such as "think about it logically" and "it's really quite simple" seem to be aimed at discrediting me. While I don't care if you don't like me or think I'm wrong, please be careful to, you know, actually be right when you call me out. I can take it, but I don't like the idea that other members are getting bad advice from you.
Not at all! There's no discreditation here at all.

Although I do take umbrage at the "bad advice" part. I posted the wrong contract, that was in error, simple as that. Now the OP has the RIGHT advice, and I promise you that is more important to me than being right or wrong.

But look at my posts in this forum. There are not alot of instances where I have been "flat-out wrong", and there's hardly a poster in here that hasn't been a few times. We are all here to help, with the best of intentions.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 02-13-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not at all! There's no discreditation here at all.

Although I do take umbrage at the "bad advice" part. I mean Bob, it's pretty clear, I posted a link to the contract. It says "coverage ends with replacement". I don't understand how that is "flat out wrong".

I just want the OP to have the proper advice. I could care less about who is wrong and right.
No hard feelings. I just found the words you used to be a bit strong.

As for the substance of your advice - it was, as I said, "flat out wrong." For starters, the warranty you quoted was the wrong warranty - not the CC extended warranty. Also, anyone who has dealt with CC knows that its practice is to provide coverage for the life of the policy. Indeed, any other practice would be legally dubious, at best. If the OP continued to have problems with the tv, CC would continue to replace it. At some point, the TV may no longer be available. Were that to happen, CC would issue a credit for the pro-rated value of the warranty.

To the extent that I overreacted to your post, I apologize. However, this is a pretty serious question from the OP and demands accurate advice. If the OP lets Sony replace the set, there is a chance that CC could terminate coverage (although I don't think this would happen, it is still a possibility). If he sticks with CC for repair he is covered for the full 5 years.