TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So, I've now seen a total of 2 minutes of Four Kings

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, I've now seen a total of 2 minutes of Four Kings

and will never watch it again.

Two days ago, I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that I had to see Million Dollar Baby and that it had an incredible ending. I was never interested in seeing Million Dollar Baby, but after my friend's glowing review, I was and told myself that I had to check it out soon.

Two minutes into tonight's show, Seth Green says:

Spoiler:
Million Dollar Baby? Oh, she breaks her neck and dies.

Fuck this show.
Old 02-02-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, at this point its just about one of those "pop culture" things like (Sixth Sense spoiler, just in case):
Spoiler:
Bruce Willis was a ghost!
or (Star Wars)
Spoiler:
Darth Vader is Luke's father!

But yeah, I'd be pissed too if I was you. Well, plus the show totally sucks.
Old 02-02-06, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Sixth Sense reference was made right before the Million Dollar Baby one. I don't know if I'd put Million Dollar Baby on quite the same level as Star Wars and the Sixth Sense when it comes to pop culture fame. Of course, I could be wrong. I admittedly paid no attention to the film when it came out. Don't know why...I just didn't.

Oh, yeah, the show definitely sucks.
Old 02-03-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Fuck this show.
The movie has been out for well over a year, won best picture and was the subject of much open discussion because of the controversy over the ending.

The world isn't going to wait for you forever. You have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 02-03-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
(Million Dollar Baby) has been out for well over a year, won best picture and was the subject of much open discussion because of the controversy over the ending.

The world isn't going to wait for you forever. You have no one to blame but yourself.
That's just stupid. No-one should have a movie's plot, especially (but not only) surprises, imparted to them without inviting it. Doesn't matter if it's The Usual Suspects or Star Wars.

Gdrlv didn't ask to have the film spoiled. Spoiling films is a deplorable action, and people who defend such idiocy need to have less contempt for other humans. These are facts, not opinions.

Frankly Salty, I expected better of you. For shame.
Old 02-03-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well you watched this horrible show in the first place...
Old 02-03-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Other than the pilot, I kinda like the show... My sister-in-law spoiled the movie for me 2 weeks ago. Not like I was ever going to watch it anyway.
Old 02-03-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts
That's two minutes of your life that you'll never get back.
Old 02-03-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That's just stupid. No-one should have a movie's plot, especially (but not only) surprises, imparted to them without inviting it.
That is the most ridiculous standard I think I have ever seen. Do you get outraged every time a commercial promoting a movie airs? After all, that is an uninvited revelation about a film's plot. Do you get outraged when any TV show or movie makes reference to any other TV show or movie?

Should I be offended by the scene in Swingers that discusses the steadicam shot in Goodfellas because that spoils the fact that there is such a shot? Oh, I'm sorry -- I guess I should have put the above in spoiler text by your standard! I guess the same would go for me revealing that there are mobsters in the film.

Doesn't matter if it's The Usual Suspects or Star Wars.
Does that go for the Bible, too? Jesus dies, you know.

Gdrlv didn't ask to have the film spoiled.
Last I checked, nobody asked him to watch the show. I'm sure the sponsors certainly wouldn't want to have him watching their commercials. He might walk into that auto parts store and learn that the car battery provides electricity that allows a car to be started and to fire the spark plugs. Nobody should find that out unless they ask.

Spoiling films is a deplorable action,
No, it is not. Rape is a deplorable act. Murder is a deplorable act. Hearing a plot detail about a movie you were going to get around to watching some day is an annoyance at best.

and people who defend such idiocy need to have less contempt for other humans.
You might want to check yourself there.

These are facts, not opinions.
No. Here's a fact: those were opinions.

Are my words harsh? Yes. Are they warranted? I thought so. That's my opinion. It's just that. It's not a fact, though it is a fact that it is my opinion.
Old 02-03-06, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Gdrlv didn't ask to have the film spoiled. Spoiling films is a deplorable action, and people who defend such idiocy need to have less contempt for other humans. These are facts, not opinions.
No, they're opinions.

Look, I've gone after more than a couple of people around here for posting spoilers without warnings, and I'm about as anti-spoiler as you can get. But one has to expect that the older a movie gets, the more likely people are to openly discuss its secrets under the assumption that anyone who gives a damn about seeing the movie will have seen it.

You have a good agrument if we're talking about a movie that's even remotely current, but it's just not practical to think people can avoid exposure to every plot twist from every movie ever made. The urgency for secrecy does diminish over time and the likelihood of accidentally hearing something you don't want to hear grows.

It sucks, but it's no one's fault. It's just natural.

And Rosebud was
Spoiler:
his sled
. Spoilerized in case Gdrlv needs another 66 years to see "Citizen Kane."
Old 02-03-06, 03:41 AM

I've been on the fence about this show. The pilot was pretty weak, but it's not horrible. Tonight, the audio dropped out half a dozen times for about ten seconds. It was always right before the punchlines, too. While most are predictable, I still like to hear the show I'm watching.

I stopped it less than half way through when they were in the kitchen talking about the one dude being gay. I don't know if it was just my local station (KING5) or the NBC feed, but it was lame.
Old 02-03-06, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts
Two days ago, I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that I had to see Million Dollar Baby and that it had an incredible ending. I was never interested in seeing Million Dollar Baby, but after my friend's glowing review, I was and told myself that I had to check it out soon.
Won most of the major Oscars. Was nearly universal praised by critics.
But you never had any interest in seeing it?
[Too bad there's not a smilie for shaking one's head in utter disbelief.]
Old 02-03-06, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't see what the big stink is about anyways. All the while you never had any interest in seeing it. So who gives a fuck if it's spoiled for you. You made no effort to care about it before. Hell, if your friends didn't push it on you that spoiler would have been pointless.

Not to mention that it did come out a while ago and was the subject of topic because of the ending. Learn to deal with the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you.
Old 02-03-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
And Rosebud was
Spoiler:
his sled
The difference in all the examples is time.

Citizen Kane? Come on. It is an 80 year old movie.
Star Wars? 30 years.
Sixth Sense? 7 years

Million Dollar Baby just hit DVD 7 months ago. It wasn't a huge hit in the theater and did not become a pop cultural phenom like the others either. I can accept that there should be a buffer window of at least a year - a year and a half from video release since a LOT of people don't go to the theaters. And apparently a lot didn't go see that movie. After that, fair game.

Ruining a movie that is still pretty fresh is unacceptable, IMO.
Old 02-03-06, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
[Too bad there's not a smilie for shaking one's head in utter disbelief.]
Old 02-03-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Corvin

Million Dollar Baby just hit DVD 7 months ago. It wasn't a huge hit in the theater and did not become a pop cultural phenom like the others either. I can accept that there should be a buffer window of at least a year - a year and a half from video release since a LOT of people don't go to the theaters. And apparently a lot didn't go see that movie. After that, fair game.

Ruining a movie that is still pretty fresh is unacceptable, IMO.
Agreed. It just hit the cable channels a few months ago. Give it a little time. That was really inconsiderate of the show, and it wasn't even in the name of comedy.

das
Old 02-03-06, 08:42 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
With Survivor and Dancing with the Stars taking up the tuners on the TiVo, I missed last night's ep, but I've seen all the others.

I really don't mind this show... I'm in the minority of those who like it.

And as for the reference in Million Dollar Baby, she doesn't die...

Spoiler:
... in my opinion she's MURDERED! Since assisted suicide is murder. But that's for another thread...

Just kidding.
Old 02-03-06, 09:19 AM

I actually kinda like this show. Last night had a few good laughs, and so did last week. It reminds me A LOT of myself and the 3 buddies I lived with immediately following college.

I'm going to give it some more time - it's worthwhile to watch, in my opinion.
Old 02-03-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
and will never watch it again.

Two minutes into tonight's show, Seth Green says:

Spoiler:
Million Dollar Baby? Oh, she breaks her neck and dies.

Fuck this show.
You do realize that is a painfully inadequate spoiler, right?
Old 02-03-06, 10:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

You have a good agrument if we're talking about a movie that's even remotely current, but it's just not practical to think people can avoid exposure to every plot twist from every movie ever made. The urgency for secrecy does diminish over time and the likelihood of accidentally hearing something you don't want to hear grows.
I agree if we're talking about people who were just too lazy to see a movie they've had years to see, but at the same time I feel this attitude is really unfair for younger film fans who weren't around to see the films at the time. People complain that younger generations don't admire older films, but at the same time these films are casually spoiled for those audiences. For example, I'm a huge horror fan but I have never really gotten into why The Exorcist is a big deal, mainly because the details of the movie had been spoiled (and worse, parodied) hundreds of times over before I ever got a chance to see it. It really lessened the impact of the film for me by the time I was actually able to see it.
Old 02-03-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Agreed. It just hit the cable channels a few months ago. Give it a little time. That was really inconsiderate of the show, and it wasn't even in the name of comedy.
Exactly. I'd have forgiven the spoiler if it had actually been FUNNY. Instead it was just lame and made doubly so by spoiling that movie - which I now no longer want to watch.

This show is getting a wee bit better, but the whole gay thing was just dumb... especially considering that that character WAS GAY when they first wrote the pilot and NBC made the producers change him to straight. It is dreck. Scrubs should own that slot once Will & Grace is gone and this show is sent out to pasture.
Old 02-03-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Rosebud was
Spoiler:
his sled
Plus anyone who watches "Family Guy" would know that one too.

Spoiler:
There, I just saved you two boobless hours.
Old 02-03-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
This show is getting a wee bit better, but the whole gay thing was just dumb... especially considering that that character WAS GAY when they first wrote the pilot and NBC made the producers change him to straight.
Where's the spoiler warning there? I was anxiously awaiting the DVD release 17 years from now to begin watching this show after somebody I knew alluded to it being pretty funny 15 years from now.

Now I have no interest in watching the show. Thanks for ruining it for me!

Old 02-03-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Now I have no interest in watching the show. Thanks for ruining it for me!
[Peter Griffin voice]Well, you are a fastisio![/Peter Griffin voice]
Old 02-03-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Poor seth.... he cant find a job... and now he is on a show called Four Dicks...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.