Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

comparable system to bose acoustimass

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay everyone, I am in need of speakers comparable to the acoustimass in simplicity. I am just thinking of speakers in the front and don't care/need rear speakers. Pretty much only TV and movies will be the use. I just don't want to spend $500 since my wife and I aren't picky and anything is an upgrade over what we currently have.
Old 02-02-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose is hardly simple, their little systems do not play well with others. People find out the truth real fast when they try to plug something in or get a universal remote. And there aren't too many in the front-speaker-only crowd, and those (like Bose 3-2-1) tend to charge more for fewer speakers. Strange marketing.

I might try one of the 5.1 Onkyo systems that are popular, and use however many of the speakers you desire. Most receivers have a special 3.1 surround mode using the front 3 speakers and sub, or even a 2.1 mode just using front left/right and the sub. Or you can just listen in stereo with the 2 fronts and the sub. Ex:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VBHGvcL...0&I=580HTS580S

You could also just get a receiver and some speakers separately, but you are going to pay more most likely. And for not much benefit for TV/movies unless you pay plenty more. If you wanted to listen to classical music, also, I'd spend more like a grand as bare minimum.

Last edited by Spiky; 02-02-06 at 09:53 AM.