Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Austin Power Trilogy for 5.99 at FYE

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin Power Trilogy for 5.99 at FYE

I work at a FYE in central Texas. Today we were doing sale pricing and I noticed that an Austin Powers three pack we have is going on sale for 5.99...

I'm not sure if this is just company wide...or a typo. But, if you have one near you and want them, might as well take advantage of it while you can. I don't have any, and I don't love them. But I can't really say no to that price.
Old 02-01-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for $5.99 I'll get the trilogy in a sec.
Old 02-01-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW. As will I ... it's been a long time coming for me to pick up Austin Powers IMOM - for that price I'll cash in for all 3.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 02-01-06 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 08:43 PM

do they have a website? cause I dont have one close
Old 02-01-06, 08:46 PM

This is a link to the set on fye.com.

Notice though, that it isn't on sale yet. If this isn't a typo, it'll go through tomorrow. I don't know if prices online and in store are the same though. If you want to get this deal, I suggest going into the store if you can, tomorrow.
Old 02-01-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother works at one, and he called me about it earlier, too. But then he called back later and said this was a mistake, that's been picked up on and going to be corrected before it's actually even 'officially' goes on sale tomorrow.

If you hit a store very first thing in the morning, you may still be able to take advatage before it's been fixed - but most stores will have it changed already.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't surprise me that it's a mistake. Fye has the worst prices on media. New release dvds for 29.99. Boxsets for 60-70. Why would anyone buy there?
Old 02-02-06, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
The same thought I had when I was last there while waiting at the mall, thirty dollars for Aladdin? Go to any other store and find it for twenty (still too high) or online for ten dollars new, plus two dollars and fifty cents shipping.
There are occasional deals with used items, like Criterions for $14.99.
Old 02-02-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FYE has decent deals occasionally, but they involve mail in rebates.
Old 02-02-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYE = mail in rebates and retail pricing
Old 02-02-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, they do give a good amount in trade, ie Hero i got $10 in trade. And as always you can find some gold in their used bins.
Old 02-02-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get great deals there all the time! Not always with mail in rebates. They have box sets on sale right now for pretty cheap, and I got Dumb & Dumb Unrated for $4.99, no rebate involved (well, that was a misprice, but still--they honored it). But to get new releases for $12.99 each, it's worth sending in for a rebate! And they take gift returns without a receipt with no questions asked. I took some gifts back after Christmas, and I've been living off the credit since then. So I haven't actually spent a dime there...
Old 02-02-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I get great deals there all the time! Not always with mail in rebates. They have box sets on sale right now for pretty cheap, and I got Dumb & Dumb Unrated for $4.99, no rebate involved (well, that was a misprice, but still--they honored it). But to get new releases for $12.99 each, it's worth sending in for a rebate! And they take gift returns without a receipt with no questions asked. I took some gifts back after Christmas, and I've been living off the credit since then. So I haven't actually spent a dime there...
Me too. I actually returned some sets there from the Target misprise fiasco last year (after having tried to return them to Target, but their computer wouldn't let me for some reason?!?). On all the used stuff I gave them though I got great prices ($45 for X-Files season sets and at least $5 for most regular DVDs) and I've never had any serious problems with their rebates.
Old 02-02-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Do they give cash or just trade credit? Getting good trade credit is somewhat negated by higher prices on stuff you use that credit for.
Old 02-02-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Do they give cash or just trade credit? Getting good trade credit is somewhat negated by higher prices on stuff you use that credit for.

IIRC they give you 20% less if you want cash, but if you opt for store credit it will be a gift card that can be used at FYE, Strawberries, fye.com, wherehouse music, coconuts, planet music, spec, wherehouse.com and coconuts.com.
So, some options if you shop around.
Old 02-02-06, 02:07 PM

I'm glad this is a price mistake. I got the AP trilogy at Best Buy when it was on sale recently. Can't recall the exact price. Around $16-$17, IIRC.

As for FYE, their prices suck. They're as bad as Media Play was.
Old 02-02-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was on 'sale' at my FYE for $27.99. Funny thing is, each individual title is available for $5 after MIR.
Old 02-02-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
It was on 'sale' at my FYE for $27.99. Funny thing is, each individual title is available for $5 after MIR.
You're punished for the convenience of buying all three at once.
Old 02-02-06, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
You're punished for the convenience of buying all three at once.
Well the MSRP of the three individual titles combined is much lower than the trilogy set (which has an MSRP of $39.99) which would explain this.
Old 02-03-06, 06:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Most stuff is overpriced. I work there and see some people pass over stuff because it's overpriced, but some people are idiots and buy anything at any price. Most stuff that is on sale is priced pretty much in between what you can find a best price for online and the average regular retail price, so if it's convenient its not too bad. But some people go there (especially the bigger stores) to find more obscure titles that they would only be able to find online and go $9.99, thats too freakin much and don't buy it.

About 3 weeks ago we had a flyer with about 20 titles in it for $6.99, about 30 titles for $9.99, and about 40 titles for $14.99, with some pretty good deals in it. But it wasn't in the newspaper, we didn't pass them out (per instruction) so they sat in a box in the back.

Best deals though are kinda random. 2 months ago, Law & Order Season 1 was on sale for $19.99. When it first came out I paid $60 for it at WM and its still pretty high.

Although the discount card isn't too bad if you buy a lot, 10% off new, used, and sale priced items. It's often cheaper for me to buy stuff taking that 10 percent off the sale price than using employee discounts.

But yeah, for the most part stuff is overpriced and there's lot of people who are more than willing to pay $22.99 for 40 Year Old Virgin, or the full $60 for the OC or One Tree Hill. The company isn't doing great, so I'd like to see some more aggressive sales simply to generate more people returning so they know they'll get a pretty decent price.

The rebates are slowly removed, as every week of 4-5 big time new releases where most if not all were on rebate, now maybe 1 is. They are changing it to stickers that read $19.99 as the sale tag, but with another sticker added that says "$15.99/14.99 with the purchase of another dvd regarly priced $9.99 or more*" and then "*sale items excluded" below it. I'd rather take the rebates. If you price match something like corpse bride for $14.99, you'd still get the MIR, whereas paying paying the $19.99 and then the rebate.

Not sure about all FYE's, but mine only does store credit for selling back stuff. Wherehouse music here does both, but with an added 20% for doing store credit than if you took the cash.

Some good prices, some bad. <----- pretty much sums up FYE
Old 02-05-06, 05:01 AM

FYE has some the best prices on many electronics and their accessories, including portable DVD players, MP3 players, battery multipacks, and DVD storage.
I also buy their $9.99 DVDs ($4.99 after rebate).
FYE could easily steal away Radio Shack customers if they became more aggressive in promoting their electronics, and considered opening FYE Outlets, like the small Radio Shack stores everywhere.

Last edited by midwavePM; 02-05-06 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-05-06, 08:05 AM

Just found a new thread @FW, where the OP mentions a secret sale of selected WB 2-disc SE's for $4.99 AR. Gonna find out today.

Link to FW thread
Old 02-05-06, 08:15 AM

That post is correct, the movies mentioned are 4.99 after MIR. I believe most of the 2 disc ones are marked down to $14.99, then have a $10 MIR. I picked up Seven last night at work.
Old 02-05-06, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jaschiero
That post is correct, the movies mentioned are 4.99 after MIR. I believe most of the 2 disc ones are marked down to $14.99, then have a $10 MIR. I picked up Seven last night at work.
Thanks for the info. Could you please tell us if the rebate requires original UPC or just a copy? Do you have the complete list of the eligible titles?
Old 02-05-06, 09:03 AM

You can use the UPC sticker on shrink wrapping for the MIR. Some people were saying in the past if they used it that the rebate was denied, but we spoke with the company last week to verify that it can be used so you don't have to cut up the DVD.

In addition to the ones listed, Empire Records (1 disc special edition), Masters of the Universe, and I can't remember the others as these all went on sale this week and I've been off hadn't had a chance to really look at it. I'll get the eligible DVDs today and post this evening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.