Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder Problems

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really confused by the issues I'm having and wanted to see if anyone here had suggestions. I tried Sony's tech support, but they just want me to pay to send it in since its out of warranty.

I've had this recorder for nearly two years and its been a tank. I have recorded hundreds of hours of sporting events, TCM movies and backed up most of my Laserdiscs with it. It never gave me a single error until recently. I will put in a blank DVD+RW and it will say formating, but when it finishes it will say the disc is full. I can try mutiple DVD+RWs and even reformat them again, but the player claims the disc is full. I tried unplugging it overnight and the next day it worked fine again, but after 2 days it starting doing the same thing again. I've thought about using a DVD-R to test if it will work, but hate to waste a disc if its just going to ruin it.

When I play a DVD in it I have no problems at all. No skipping, image issues or anything. Also when I got it working again for a couple of days the recordings were all perfect with no issues. My wife thinks its because she bought a different brand of DVD+RWs. I had always used Verbatim and she bought Memorex by accident the last time and the issues started after buring the third Memorex disc. That seems unlikely to me though.

I'm stumped. Is my player done for or is there something I can do? I really love this recorder and would hate to have to replace it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Frankly it sounds like my old Sony laserdisc player. I fixed it three times before getting rid of it.
Old 02-01-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Listen to your wife. Memorex are bottom of the barrel crap while Verbatim are near the top of the heap. Sounds like the recorder is having compatibility issues with the Memorex(just like 99% of other people who have used them). Try using a Verbatim again first. Also, you won't ruin/waste a dvd-r just by putting it in the recorder. The recorder will read it and then either you'll be ready to go or it will error. Either way you can eject the disc and it will still be good. Just don't try a Memorex dvd-r.