Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

"Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence" is a three disc set plus a pre-order bonus disc

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

"Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence" is a three disc set plus a pre-order bonus disc

Old 01-30-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

The first disc is Snake Eater with an optional third person camera. The second disc is an online mode and retooled versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Here's info on the third disc:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...&mode=previews

Here's a link to the pre-order disc info:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1804.16198.htm
Old 01-30-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got mine pre-ordered, I heard it is going to be $29.99 or so...

This is actually the first game I've ever pre-ordered that I plan to pick up when it comes out.

On the others, I would snag the bonus item, and then roll over my 5 bucks to something else, and wait a few months to pick up the game... You've heard of Cheapassgamer? I'm a BROKE-ASS gamer...
Old 01-30-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just so you know, the bonus disc apparenty ships mid-February. Keep on the lookout for that because apparently retailers are not going to call to let you know it's in. You have to check in on your own. I feel that defeats the point of pre-ordering but...

I guess I'm gonna trade in my copy of MGS2 (already have Substance) and MGS3 (played the hell out of it). I might even part with DMC3: DA. I like the game but I haven't had the urge to play it in a while. Too bad the new SE is apparently easier.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-30-06 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-30-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember, Metal Gear 2 (8 bit), is not the same as Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (PS2)
Old 01-30-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know that. I don't have Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (or the much hated Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge). I said I plan on trading in MGS2, as in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty, because I also have Metal Gear Solid 2: SUbstance. There's little sense in my keeping the first release of MGS2 other than it was one of the first two PS2 games I ever purchased.
Old 01-30-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Remember, Metal Gear 2 (8 bit), is not the same as Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (PS2)
It's also not the same as Snake's Revenge.
Old 01-30-06, 02:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this coming out for the Xbox at all?
Old 01-30-06, 05:54 PM

That sounds cool! I was planning on rebuying this game anyway, it's my favorite of the MGS's.

Do you have to pre-order to get the bonus 3rd disc or is it packed in?
Old 01-30-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would actually preorder this since it has the fixed camera.
Old 01-30-06, 06:33 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never preorder a game before. In order to secure a copy of the preorder bonus disc, where is the best place to preorder it? Online and/or B&M.
Old 01-30-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the official site: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mgs3_su...ish/index.html

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Is this coming out for the Xbox at all?
Don't quote me but I did read in GameFAQs that it will be ported to X-Box and that that version will feature 16:9 and progressive scan.

Originally Posted by Outlaw
That sounds cool! I was planning on rebuying this game anyway, it's my favorite of the MGS's.

Do you have to pre-order to get the bonus 3rd disc or is it packed in?
No. You have to pre-order for the fourth disc (Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1) which is documentary of all five main Metal Gear titles and features all the trailers for MGS3, trailers for Metal Gear AC!D2, and (I believe) trailers for MGS4.

But, the third disc will only be available with the first run of this re-release. After the first run, Subsistence will only be available as a two disc set.

The first run will be available in two versions:

Headset Bundle

and

First Edition (tentative product name)
Old 01-30-06, 07:53 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Does anyone know how much the headset bundle will be?
Old 01-30-06, 08:02 PM

If the set is only $30, I'd probably pre-order for the package. Hate to admit it but I still have my original snake eater in the wrap as I haven't had the time to dedicate to actually playing this game. I know once I start, I'll have to finish. Was sickening, but I finished both MGS and MGS2 in a single sitting each. Now am in the real working world and don't have time like I did in HS and College.
Old 01-30-06, 10:18 PM

I can't wait. I still haven't played any version of MGS2, though. I always have my eye out for a used copy of Substance and I've never seen one.
Old 01-31-06, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Don't quote me but I did read in GameFAQs that it will be ported to X-Box and that that version will feature 16:9 and progressive scan.
Even though you say not to quote you, I am going to quote you anyway. You can't believe everything you read on GameFAQs. Most of it is kids posting crazy rumors. If you go to the Gamecube Resident Evil 4 boards there, some of them "believe" that Capcom is going to re-release RE4 on the Cube with all the PS2 extras like the Separate Ways mini-game. I never believe anything like that unless I read it on an official gaming news site like Gamespot or IGN.

Originally Posted by tor_greg
I can't wait. I still haven't played any version of MGS2, though. I always have my eye out for a used copy of Substance and I've never seen one.
You don't need to play MGS2 before playing MGS3. Part 3 actually takes place first chronologically. IMO, part 2 was the weakest link in the series, so you aren't missing much if you skip it.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 01-31-06 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MGS2 is still worth a play. Even if it is the worst of the series, its still leaps and bounds over most games out there.
Old 01-31-06, 03:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
MGS 2 still rocks. I may pre-order this despite the fact I currently don't have a PS2, just so I can have all the stuff to play on my PS3. I was planning on buying MGS 2 and 3 when I got my PS3 anyway, so I might as well just go ahead and get the limited edition stuff now.
Old 01-31-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
MGS2 is still worth a play. Even if it is the worst of the series, its still leaps and bounds over most games out there.
So true. I hated the game at first(mainly for it's story) but that was because I expected so much from it. However actually playing the game? Was a blast. Plus it was so damn beautiful. It still looks better than most of the newest PS2 releases.
Old 01-31-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Does anyone know how much the headset bundle will be?
It's believed that the headset bundle will be $40. But that's not yet official. I went to my local EB and they only have the game listed by name (no specs), at $33 (they always add a few extra bucks to the price here in PR), and there is nothing in their records about a headset bundle. I'm sure that'll clear up the closer we get to release date.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Even though you say not to quote you, I am going to quote you anyway. You can't believe everything you read on GameFAQs. Most of it is kids posting crazy rumors. If you go to the Gamecube Resident Evil 4 boards there, some of them "believe" that Capcom is going to re-release RE4 on the Cube with all the PS2 extras like the Separate Ways mini-game. I never believe anything like that unless I read it on an official gaming news site like Gamespot or IGN.
I'm well aware of that. It's like getting all your upcoming film information from IMDB. That's why I said not to quote me.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
So true. I hated the game at first(mainly for it's story) but that was because I expected so much from it. However actually playing the game? Was a blast. Plus it was so damn beautiful. It still looks better than most of the newest PS2 releases.
I loved MGS2. Yes, the story was weak (mainly because Kojima has no self control as a story teller), but the actual gameplay was excellent. It's still a blast to play, even after so many other games have been release since it first hit shelves.
Old 01-31-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
MGS2 was the first MGS I played (I had played Metal Gear a week earlier), I enjoyed everything about it, including the trippy non-sense of a story (it was fun) even if turned into a preachy copout. Followed that the next day with MGS (still need to pickup Twin Snakes for my Cube). Picked up MGS3 and despite the intriguing storyline, just didn't get into it, even if it did have Snake on a Plane in a few parts. The overhead view just felt dated after playing through all three Splinter Cells, so I'm actually picking this set up for the new camera.

Can't wait, sounds like a great set for a great price.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-31-06 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Better look at the cover art:

Coverart per Lik-Sang:
Old 01-31-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume that this is the price for the Headset Bundle: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/260922.asp
Old 02-01-06, 07:31 AM

At my local Game Stop, there are two versions in the system, although no details on either one.

The first version has LE tacked on the end, and is $39.99, while the second version is missing the LE, and is $29.99.

I personally feel that the "LE" version is just the headset bundle, but there is a slight possibility that this is the price for the 3-disc set, and the $29.99 is the price for the regular version without the 3rd disc.

EDIT: I am wondering if the headset is going to be identical to the Socom headset... That one is USB headset made by Logitech, is monaural, and has Socom printed on it. I don't know of other headsets on the system, but I am sure there are a couple. I would presume this one is going to have MGS3: Subsistence printed on it. From the picture, it also appears to be monaural.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 02-01-06 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-01-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Metal Gear Solid but this package has too much cool stuff that I may have to break down and get it.. especially if it's only $30. Plus, I do like the NES Metal Gear so it'll be nice to play a properly translated version of the first game and the non-Snake's Revenge sequel.
Old 02-01-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
At my local Game Stop, there are two versions in the system, although no details on either one.

The first version has LE tacked on the end, and is $39.99, while the second version is missing the LE, and is $29.99.

I personally feel that the "LE" version is just the headset bundle, but there is a slight possibility that this is the price for the 3-disc set, and the $29.99 is the price for the regular version without the 3rd disc.
Today, at my local EB, I was told that the $39.99 version is indeed the headset bundle and that both it and the $29.99 version contain a total of three discs. The employee was unsure about the fourth bonus disc. Apparently no official word on it has arrived to them as of yet.

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I hate Metal Gear Solid but this package has too much cool stuff that I may have to break down and get it.. especially if it's only $30. Plus, I do like the NES Metal Gear so it'll be nice to play a properly translated version of the first game and the non-Snake's Revenge sequel.
If you dislike the MGS series so much, you may actually enjoy MGS3. Aside from an overly chatty radio conversation early in the game, the games story is nicely streamlined and doesn't have the bloated feel of MGS (it did have those silly overlong death speeches) or MGS2 and actually has a sort of 60's Bond vibe. It's actually the closest the MGS series has come to being like the original Metal Gear games.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.