Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good HD switchbox??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good HD switchbox??

I am currently using the mad catz hd system selector * http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?P...iversal_Cables * and after testing out call of duty 2 on my 360 in 1080I there is definetly signal loss in the graphic quality as compared to when I plugged it in directly into the tv. Can anyone confirm if the Pelican universal system selector 2.0 can trasmit 1080i with no loss? * http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802193 *

Thanks
Old 01-30-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using the pelican. It is probably no better than the madcatz. When I run my hd sat receiver and my 360 through it I get a lot of interference. 480p signals seem to be fine. I don't think the pelican can handle hd. A bit more expensive but, the audio authority switch box is the way to go.
Old 01-30-06, 01:27 AM

That sucks . The madcatz one is only $19.99 and the selector 2.0 is $99.99. I just want to be sure the pelican selector you are using is the 2.0 one with its own power supply. I would think there would be no loss since it uses its own power supply unlike the madcatz hd selector which doesnt require any power to work
Old 01-30-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the new Pelican 2.0 box and have not seen any signal loss at 1080i. I think it's fine.
Old 01-30-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure but, I think the power supply is only used to light the 7 buttons across the front. Mine is black but, does not have the ir remote.
Old 01-30-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could the loss you are seeing be wire related? A short run straight to the TV is probably not as good as a long run THROUGH a box. Are the component cables you are using both as good a quality as the one you used directly?
Old 01-30-06, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do these (or are there any) that also switch digital audio? Along w/ being out of inputs on my TV I'm out of inputs on my receiver
Old 01-30-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's a nice review of the Joytech Control Center 240 C:

http://www.lcvg.com/feature.php?ID=2

I'd be all over this one if I didn't already have the Pelican System Selector Pro. I especially like that the LCD screen is programmable, so you're not limited to using the out-of-date tabs that come with the Pelican for all of the newer systems.
Old 01-30-06, 09:27 AM

y2k falcon its very possible it can be wire related. Honestly the picture quality loss is not really noticeable. The reason I realized it was when I was at gamestop and the demo they had of call of duty 2 was on a samsung lcd hdtv I was saying to myself why does it look sharper than mine by a notch. So I went home and tested it directly connected and connected thru the $20 mad catz switch box. You would honestly need to sit close to the TV and switch it back and forth which gave me a workout since I have 34 inch *CRT* sony hdtv so really see the difference in call of duty 2 espcailly in the edges of the buildings and the character models . The main difference is in the small details which is not really a huge differnce but you wont really see it unless you sit there and swap it back and forth.I also had my brother look for the difference and he saw the differences that I saw when looking at it closely.
Old 01-30-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I would check your cables. If you aren't using high quality cables, that's probably the culprit.

I have the new System Selector Pro 2.0. It's great. Love the LCD screen and the remote. The only problem is that mine is not switching the Cat5 properly, so I am going to exchange it. The problem is that I can't find one anywhere in store.

Yes, it swiches digital audio. I think it has 4 digi audio ports and 4 Cat5 ports. It's pretty f'ing awesome. When I move, I am going to get the NES, SNES, Dreamcast, etc all hooked up through this thing. It's going to rule.

Can't comment on the Joytech, but it looks nice too.
Old 01-30-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think it is only 3 opticals on the Pelican.
Old 01-30-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I know we're talking about wildly different costs here, but consider getting an A/V receiver. Even an entry-level one will do better than these switches. Just keep your eyes open for one on closeouts, clearance, a friend upgrading, or eBay.
Old 01-30-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is a new receiver a good way to do it? (oh... I guess The Bus is suggesting this)

I have my eye on:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Harma...oductDetail.do

S-video inputs 5
# of component video inputs 3
Phono input Unavailable
# of digital optical inputs 4
# of digital coaxial inputs 4
Multi-channel input 7.1
HDMI No

Component-in wise, I have DVD, Xbox, and OTA HD... If/when I get an HD-DVR, that will replace my OTA HD.

Component out to an Infocus Projector, possibly a TV at the same time (is that possible?).

I want to keep it under $700...

If I go with the HK I link above, I'll probably get it at buy.com, where it's much cheaper than CC.
Old 01-30-06, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S-video inputs 5
# of component video inputs 3
Phono input Unavailable
# of digital optical inputs 4
# of digital coaxial inputs 4
Multi-channel input 7.1
HDMI No
If the number/type of in/outs is important to you double check what they are (the manual should be online somewhere). What I've found is a lot of times certain inputs only work in concert w/ one another and sometimes you'll only have an either/or option. For example it says 3 video inputs and 4 audio inputs (of each type). It may be the video is tied to a specific audio pair and you can only use either the coax or optical.
Old 01-30-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Y2K: I have the smaller/cheaper Harman/Kardon 230, and it does what it needs to do with my 3 component sources. I route one component video directly into my TV, so then the receiver only handles sound for that input. With a programmable remote it's a snap to switch.

That receiver you have linked to is really nice but it is overkill to some people and not powerful enough for others. I'm no audio or videophile but the sound seemed to be a bit better than what I had with my previous Yamaha, keeping the same speakers, DTS/optical/etc. Plus it just looks cool.

One caveat while you set this up... The receiver's menu system is output through a regular composite yellow video cable. Make sure that you have your TV set up so you can see that menu otherwise you will go crazy trying to set this up.

(HK lets you assign specific audio ins to each video in).

So what you're getting is good, but if others want to look at the next step down, that'll work too.
Old 01-30-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

crap.... CC specs says the AVR240 has 3 components in, but the HK website specs (and the jacks themselves) show only 2.

back panel: http://www.harmankardon.com/images/p...ge/AVR340B.jpg
Front panel: http://www.harmankardon.com/images/p...ge/AVR340F.jpg

I wonder if my OTA HD box does M1-DA...

The Bus: So your TV has 2 different component in?

With my Projector (Infocus 4805) I got:
1 S-video in
1 Composite video in (video, L/R audio)
1 Component in
1 DVI (M1-DA) in

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-30-06 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best receiver in your price range:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/554.asp

BTW, many of us have more than 3 component sources (DVD, 360, SAT, Gamecube, PS2), so you need the switch box in addition to a good receiver. Obviously, the switchbox should be used in conjunction w/ a receiver, and you put your high res (SAT, DVD) on the direct component inputs, if possible.