Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Grandaddy Call It Quits *sniff

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Grandaddy Call It Quits

Amy Phillips reports:
After almost a decade and a half of scruffy indie rock and sprawling space-pop, the California band Grandaddy are headed for the great big rock and roll nursing home in the sky. In an interview with Pitchfork yesterday, frontman Jason Lytle revealed that Just Like the Fambly Cat, due out May 9 on V2, will be the last Grandaddy album, and that the band has no plans to tour.

"We've seen an erosion happening," Lytle said. "I use the word ‘erosion' in the most natural way I possibly can. It's not entirely such a bad thing. We have just, throughout the years, always looked at every album coming out as ‘Wow we've got another album, now what?' So that's still going on right now, it's just that it's a lot different. We're not jumping on that big rock n roll conveyor belt that happens when the album's done.

"Everybody has been set free to pursue whatever it is they want to pursue, whether it be amateur poker playing, or [becoming] veterinarians, or working in a hot dog stand."

While Lytle will continue making music, he has no plans to use the Grandaddy name for something it's not (see: INXS, Queen, the Doors, etc.) "I think myself and the rest of the band hold that [name] pretty sacred," he said. "It definitely won't be this random assembly of crap shot players. There are plenty of people who are capable of standing up there and executing the songs. But it wouldn't be comfortable for anyone."

He added, "For whoever gives a shit, they can rest assured that it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's no sadder than...I'm likening it to the natural crumbling of canyon walls. It can be sped up or done in by artificial forces. I just think we saw the opportunity to bring it to an end, to do it and still remain friends."

As for Lytle's next step, well, he's not so sure what that will be. "All I'm working on now is regaining a pure appreciation for just playing music, just sitting and playing music. It seems to have been attached to and saddled by a lot of stuff. It's getting fun again.

"I don't intend on ever stopping. I've actually tried to stop a bunch of times, but it's not really possible. Sometimes I hate it so much, because it's something that fatigues me. I'm going to do something, but I have no idea what."

Just Like the Fambly Cat, with its sweeping, fuzzed-out soundscapes and hearty guitar crunch serving as a fitting epitaph for the band. Here's the tracklist:

01 What Happened
02 Jeez Louise
03 Summer... It's Gone
04 Oxygen/Aux Send
05 Rear View Mirror
06 The Animal World
07 Skateboarding Saves Me Twice
08 Where I'm Anymore
09 50%
10 Guide Down Denied
11 Elevate Myself
12 Campershell Dreams
13 Disconnecty
14 This Is How It Always Starts
15 Shangri-La (outro)

In less dramatic Grandaddy news, the band's 1999 Single to Snow Ratio EP is available online for the first time, courtesy of the Rhapsody music service. Comfort yourself with these tracks:

01 Hand Crank Transmitter
02 Jeddy 3's Poem
03 MGM Grand
04 Protected From the Rain

* Pitchfork Review: Grandaddy: Excerpts From the Diary of Todd Zilla
* Pitchfork News: Grandaddy Finishing New Album, Contemplating Future
* Grandaddy: www.grandaddylandscape.com/

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/0...html#grandaddy
Old 01-29-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's too bad that they won't be touring. It just makes me so much grateful that I saw them in 2001 opening up for Coldplay. While I am saddenned by the news, I can't say I am surprised. They seemed to hit their creative peak with The Sophtware Slump.
Old 01-29-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw them as the headline in 2003 0r 2004. Good stuff.
Old 01-31-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bummer. Not a band that I followed closely, but I have all their stuff and enjoy it.
Old 02-01-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This makes me cry, almost as much as that Jed The Humanoid song.
Old 02-01-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was upset when I heard this, but after reading the Pitchfork article, it sounds like Jason Lytle just got tired of paying the other band members and is going to continue on in the same vein using his own name or a new band name. If you look at the liner notes of any Grandaddy CD, each song is "written and produced by Jason Lytle."

Grandaddy was surprisingly good live when I saw them though. Disappointed that I won't have a chance to see them again.
Old 02-03-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm disappointed that I won't ever have the chance to see them.

Just listened to Sophtware Slump at work this past week.