Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sorry for Kung Fu'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-27-06, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Sorry for Kung Fu at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19472 and...

Skip it? Hell, Eric D. Snider is far too kind. Burn it. And then call the Serbs and ask them to finish what they started.

Snider is right about the technical aspects of the DVD, particularly the poorly translated and semi-literate subtitles. Yet this is the least problem with this travesty.

The plot is a cross between a Seventies sitcom and the worst Lifetime movie sans Harry Hamblin. As is the case with either of those unfortunate wastes of time, the only funny parts are those meant to be serious. By the time the credits rolled, I wished the Serbs had massacred the entire populace of Croatia. That crime against humanity would have been offset by saving cinema from a padded 70-minute ode to Good Times with the laughtrack turned off. To give an idea how bad this movie is, the acting actually is good.Unfortunately, the script and direction could not be overcome.

Take off two and one-fourth of those two and one-half stars, Eric, and you about have it right.

EDIT: On second view, leave those two and one-fourth stars, and maybe add a fourth. What I failed to realize, possibly due to the incredibly foreign nature of the film, was that this is a very sincere meditation on racism and the role it played in the Balkans wars; the lame comedy was an attempt to disguise the director's sincerity. This isn't fully realized, and I still wouldn't recommend this DVD for purchase, but definitely rent it and possibly watch it more than once. There is much more substance than I originally wrote above.

Last edited by Joe Frank; 02-03-06 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-06-06, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must know how

you americans first have to learn how to make a good movies. not light entertainment-dumb movies and than maybe you'll be able to understand european art movie.
the real thing is not in the material things, you should know better than that. it's really shamefull in such a big country like america there's no valuable nonartifical art movie. shame on you.