Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

favorite "obscure" game

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
favorite "obscure" game

okay we all have them, that one game you secretly like that not many others do. that game that no one talked about but seems to be a closet favorite of yours. (i think you know what i mean) that game that you thought was cool or that you supported because you thought fairly highly of it. a game that not many raved about (okay i think ive wound on enough)

2 lil favorites of mine from the past that i never hear mentioned are (both on the genesis) Speedball 2:brutal deluxe and Chakan the forever man

Speedball (i think) was one of the 1st games with a semi-franchise mode to the thing, plus original gameplay

as far as Chakan. interesting story, and the fact that you never die (or lose the game) was pretty original back in the days of "obtaining free lives" to continue playing
Old 01-24-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In arcades I always liked Bagman, it was a pain to even finish the first level but it lasted a while even if you didn't finish.
Old 01-24-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speedball 2 was bad ass (on the Amiga at least).

I love a little obscure Japanese PS1 game called "Ore no Ryori." It's basically Tapper on crack and multi-player. Sure, it's ugly as hell (most PS1 games are) but it's insanely fun and one of those games that has that "non-gamer" appeal to it that you can get other people in on it. I had always hoped a PS2 sequel would be made as it may have had a chance to come out based on games like Katamari gaining appeal over here. There's a DS game coming out that LOOKS similar (a cooking game), but will probably be very different.. could be the next best thing though.
Old 01-24-06, 01:54 PM

One of my favorite PC games ever is Treadmarks. It's a pretty straightforward multiplayer action game involving tanks and lots of shooting. It was one of those games that was pretty tough to get into, due to the slightly odd (not bad, just different) controls, and the unique feel of the tanks (they feel both heavy and super-light at the same time.. tough to describe). Once you got into it, though, it could be pretty addicting.

The weapons were all pretty interesting, too. Since you could only hold one weapon at a time, and you had to use it all up before you could pick up another one, you were required to learn how to use all the different weapons instead of just sticking to one or two favorites.

The game also featured some pretty nice-looking deformable terrain. Every weapon in the game had an effect on the terrain, from leaving small holes (the tank's main gun, small machine guns, etc), to massive craters (airstrikes, nuclear missiles), to actually raising the land (one of the super-weapons creates a huge hill where it detonates, and any tanks near it get sent flipping through the air wildly, which is always highly amusing).

You could also create mods pretty easily using just simple text files and the games own graphical assets.

Unfortunately, the sheer differentness of the game really made it hard for it to take off, and it never really was all that popular (I'm talking maybe a player base of 50-80 people at its height. I still highly recommend checking out the demo, as there still hasn't been anything quite like the game to this day, even though it's coming up on 6 years old.
Old 01-24-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Intelligent Qube for me (Playstation). Possibly the most addictive game I've ever played.

S2
Old 01-24-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always liked Beetle Adventure Racing for the N64. Amazing track design!
Old 01-24-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bubble Trouble in the Mac!
Old 01-24-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe was such an awesome game. The Bitmap Bros. were working on a new Speedball game, called Speedball Arena, but I think it was shelved.

I remember liking Mantis a lot, and it's pretty much forgotten when talking about space flight games such as Wing Commander, X-Wing, and the like.

I dunno if it's that obscure though, seeing as how it was released by a major (at the time) publisher in Microprose.
Old 01-24-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about Rings of Power on the genesis. An interesting western style rpg produced when there wasn't much else for the genesis other than phantasy star. Got panned by most of the reviews I read but still I found it engrossing and fairly epic in scope.

btw this guy seems to be a bit of a fan of it:
http://www.gamelegacies.com/ringsofpower.html

Last edited by Chris_D; 01-24-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
My choice would have to be Nectaris for PS1. It was a remake of a old TG16 game called Military Madness. Basically advance wars before advance wars came out. Great multi player game and it used passwords for the different levels so no memory card needed.
Old 01-25-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That would have to be Money Idol Exchanger for the Neo-Geo MVS.
Old 01-25-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
My choice would have to be Nectaris for PS1. It was a remake of a old TG16 game called Military Madness. Basically advance wars before advance wars came out. Great multi player game and it used passwords for the different levels so no memory card needed.
Technically, Famicom Wars, the first game in the series that would eventually come here as Advance Wars, was released in 1988.. of course.. that's Japan only. The original Nectaris came out a year later. I did not know they release a PS1 version and it actually came out here. I've got a friend that would probably like to hear that (if he doesn't already know).
Old 01-25-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Technically, Famicom Wars, the first game in the series that would eventually come here as Advance Wars, was released in 1988.. of course.. that's Japan only. The original Nectaris came out a year later. I did not know they release a PS1 version and it actually came out here. I've got a friend that would probably like to hear that (if he doesn't already know).
I didn't know that. When TG16 came out, Military Madness was my favorite game. Then when I saw it come out for PS1 I was all over it. I'm sure it's a very rare game now, but there doesn't seem to be much demand for it.

Old 01-25-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
You and me both! This is the most fun I've ever had with any racer. Such a tight game with perfect balance. I'm actually playing through it again now.
Old 01-25-06, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by CreatureX
When I saw a Dinosaur on the race track I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Totally unexpected and like you said, great tracks.
Old 01-25-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-25-06, 11:41 PM

i knew someone would post the Obscure PS2 game. there was a remake of Speedball for the ps1 titled Speedball 2100. just doesnt have the same feel as the old genesis game though
Old 01-26-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CHRONICLE OF THE SWORD and BATTLEMONSTERS, so bad, had to play it several times!

seriously, games I liked but no one I know heard of

DARK MESSIAH
MR BONES
SCUD DISPOSABLE ASSASSIN
TAIL CONCERTO
KUON
KAMEN RIDER V3
GUARDIAN CRUSADE
GRANDSTREAM SAGA
KARTIA
CARRIER
FEAR EFFECT
EGGS OF STEEL
BOOMBOTS

Last edited by salamander2; 01-26-06 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-26-06, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by salamander2
CHRONICLE OF THE SWORD and BATTLEMONSTERS, so bad, had to play it several times!

DARK MESSIAH
MR BONES
SCUD DISPOSABLE ASSASSIN
TAIL CONCERTO
KUON
KAMEN RIDER V3
GUARDIAN CRUSADE
GRANDSTREAM SAGA
KARTIA
CARRIER
FEAR EFFECT
EGGS OF STEEL
BOOMBOTS
I loved Kartia and Fear Effect too. Infact, I still own both. Although I probably wouldent classify Fear Effect as obscure. That was pretty well known.
Old 01-26-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine would be Impossible Mission for the Commodore 64. I'm trying to think if I was able to complete it more than once....
Old 01-26-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Sanitarium for the PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...l?q=sanatarium

Pretty freaky game!
Old 01-27-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DIVIDE ENEMY WITHIN was really obscure, but it was unplayable!
Old 01-27-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by salamander2

DARK MESSIAH
MR BONES
SCUD DISPOSABLE ASSASSIN
TAIL CONCERTO
KUON
KAMEN RIDER V3
GUARDIAN CRUSADE
GRANDSTREAM SAGA
KARTIA
CARRIER
FEAR EFFECT
EGGS OF STEEL
BOOMBOTS

Heard of all of 'em, and liked Guardian's Crusade (Knight And Baby) enough
to write a guide for it
Old 01-27-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Chakan = Eddie's(Iron Maiden) brother

I love CIRCUS MAXIMUS.
Old 01-27-06, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Couple of lesser known ones. Not quite obscure.

NES
Desert Commander. Similar to Advance Wars
Snake Rattle and Roll. Loved this game very creative and two player co-op
Archon. Chess with fighting pieces.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.