Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Recommend a great astronomy doc on DVD

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got a sharp 5-year-old daughter who's deeply into astronomy. She's already pointing out constellations and wants to know more about the stars, the galaxies...anything about space. I'm looking for a documentary that aims for a basic understanding of the night sky and the universe in general, something that doesn't aim too high but not too low, either. Something with great imagery that will really engage her (and me!).

Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-06, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"For All Mankind - Criterion Collection"

It's about the lunar program. Very good documentary.
Old 01-24-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't there an IMAX movie about the origins of the universe?
Old 01-24-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stephen Hawking's Universe 3dvd set.

solid.
Old 01-24-06, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Stephen Hawking's Universe 3dvd set.

solid.
For a 5-year-old? She's sharp, yeah, but I don't want to confound her to the point where she's not interested anymore...

The IMAX and Criterion discs sound interesting...thanks!
Old 01-24-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Carl Sagan's Cosmos is quite good, although probably too boring for a 5 year old (or 26 year old in my case).
Old 01-24-06, 03:20 PM

Cosmic Voyage is the IMAX film, narrated by Morgan Freeman and really good for the "casual viewer" at around 40 minutes. I have COSMOS as well, but thats a 10 hour commitment.

Amazon.com
As a primer on up-to-date scientific theory about the nature of the universe and our place in it, Cosmic Voyage is visually sumptuous and just plain fun. Shot in the mind-blowing IMAX process, this combined live-action and computer-generated production has (even in video format) an immensity of scope befitting its grand subject. Beginning, lyrically if unexpectedly, in Italy's magnificent Venice, Cosmic Voyage draws inspiration from airborne perspectives on the city's famed network of canals and streets, leading to further appreciations of dense systems in nature. From the subnuclear to the physical limits of the known universe, Cosmic Voyage explores a resonance between all things while making sense of such inscrutable phenomena as the birth of stars and planets, black holes, supernovas, etc. The marvels of cosmology are rarely so accessible as this. --Tom Keogh

Product Description:
Cosmic Voyage mixes ground-breaking computer animation with cutting edge science to give us a sweeping view of the universe. A "cosmic zoom" extends from the surface of the Earth to the largest observable structures of the universe, and then back down to the sub-nuclear realm - a guided tour across some 42 orders of magnitude. Cosmic Voyage explores some of the greatest scientific theories, many of which have never before been visualized on film.
Old 01-24-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
For a 5-year-old? She's sharp, yeah, but I don't want to confound her to the point where she's not interested anymore...

The IMAX and Criterion discs sound interesting...thanks!
Yeah maybe a bit over the top for a five year old, but definitely pick it up for later, interesting stuff.
Old 01-25-06, 02:19 AM

I'd get Cosmos at some point. It was made to be understood by anyone, that was the point. It's probably a bit beyond a 5 year old however. But if you enjoy the subject as well, get it as soon as possible.

This might be pretty good for a youngster. It's basically Hubble images set to music.
Old 01-25-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by lberkoski
Cosmic Voyage is the IMAX film, narrated by Morgan Freeman and really good for the "casual viewer" at around 40 minutes. I have COSMOS as well, but thats a 10 hour commitment.

Amazon.com
As a primer on up-to-date scientific theory about the nature of the universe and our place in it, Cosmic Voyage is visually sumptuous and just plain fun. Shot in the mind-blowing IMAX process, this combined live-action and computer-generated production has (even in video format) an immensity of scope befitting its grand subject. Beginning, lyrically if unexpectedly, in Italy's magnificent Venice, Cosmic Voyage draws inspiration from airborne perspectives on the city's famed network of canals and streets, leading to further appreciations of dense systems in nature. From the subnuclear to the physical limits of the known universe, Cosmic Voyage explores a resonance between all things while making sense of such inscrutable phenomena as the birth of stars and planets, black holes, supernovas, etc. The marvels of cosmology are rarely so accessible as this. --Tom Keogh

Product Description:
Cosmic Voyage mixes ground-breaking computer animation with cutting edge science to give us a sweeping view of the universe. A "cosmic zoom" extends from the surface of the Earth to the largest observable structures of the universe, and then back down to the sub-nuclear realm - a guided tour across some 42 orders of magnitude. Cosmic Voyage explores some of the greatest scientific theories, many of which have never before been visualized on film.
I 2nd Cosmic Voyage and think it is one of the best, if not the best, IMAX films ever made. This would be perfect for what you are looking for, Jason.
Old 01-26-06, 11:53 AM

That sounds great. Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.
Old 01-26-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What about From the Earth to the Moon?
Old 01-26-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but my wife loves StarGaze and StarGaze II.