Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 03:19 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
Surface - 1/23

Episode 13
Spoiler:
Laura learns that a group of top scientists created the new species, and she searches for the corporation funding the research.
Old 01-23-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did we ever find out what the status of this show is? Is it three more episodes and it's done for the season, or will there be more Season 1 episodes later in the Spring, or is it just done forever after they air the next few episodes?
Old 01-23-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The season ends in 3 episodes. It won't be returning after the Olympics but that doesn't mean it is canceled. However, I think the short season and sub-par ratings doesn't bode well for a return next year. The audience isn't growing for this show.
Old 01-23-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by moocher
The season ends in 3 episodes. It won't be returning after the Olympics but that doesn't mean it is canceled. However, I think the short season and sub-par ratings doesn't bode well for a return next year. The audience isn't growing for this show.
Which, for the most part, isn't the show's fault. Most of it is due to scheduling. Not a single episode in December? It would have done better during the summer probably.
Old 01-23-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
At least this show is moving at a good clip (and only 2 episodes left!). And a Miles shall lead them. So what is Lee's secret is looking so youthful? What the hell was Richard wrestling with, a failed experiment?
Old 01-23-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know how reputable The Futon Critic is, but they say:

Despite fears that "Surface's" February 6 installment is being billed as the "finale," the show remains under consideration for the 2006-07 season. That being said, the season finale "will provide a sort of semi-closure."
Link
Old 01-23-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
My thinking is that the show will wrap up (the best way that it can) all plotholes and will not return for the 2006-2007 season. I don't know what we will gain from it after the mystery is gone. And I have to say that the film they watched during this last episode was one of the worst attempts of making a supposedly old film that I've ever seen. I guess we will get to see some Godzilla type attacks on the city in the upcoming episodes.
Old 01-23-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I guess we've got something for everyone now. It appears we have aliens AND genetic engineering. Alien plantlife anyway. I'm guessing that was a meteor crater anyway, and that the weird plant things came from outer space. Then I guess they sliced the plant's DNA with earth animals.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I guess we will get to see some Godzilla type attacks on the city in the upcoming episodes.
According to TV.com's episode guide,
Spoiler:
it's a tsunami.
Old 01-24-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is still the most fun out of any show on TV. It also happens to have some of the most craptastic acting since Saved By The Bell. The scene where the father of the boy that was killed is talking to the group was cringe worthy.

I just cannot fathom (no pun intended) why people are not watching this. They take a lot of risks with the story and script. They fail quite often, but when they succeed the show really rises above all the other SciFi/alien/monster shows we were given this year.
Old 01-24-06, 08:56 AM

Not a bad episode last night, and I think the next two will get better. Glad that scientist woman is apparently killed off.

Any word on a season 1 DVD yet?
Old 01-24-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
With the scientist's death, maybe I missed something. Did they show Asian-guy pulling the trigger, or did the scene end after she asked him to send off a farewell e-mail to family and friends? I was sure he was going to be a cold bastard and shoot her in the back before she sent the message (after telling her she could).

It'll be really disappointing if we don't get at least one Godzilla-style city stomping scene by the end of this. This show is really stupid but consistently entertaining and fun. You mean all the effort that corporation is doing to keep things covered up, and there's been a film showing this Tibet expedition just sitting in the Berkeley library? In the head guy's "memorial room" no less? And I loved the exchange between the guy and his angry wife. When explaining that his relationship with Laura was just business about the creatures, the wife goes: "But ... you went down in a submarine with her!!!" What's that supposed to mean?!? Are submarine trips to the bottom of the sea common excuses for sexual affairs?
Old 01-24-06, 11:16 AM

what was the deal with that little ape/bigfoot at the abandoned factory? I noticed the computer in the office area had a screensaver that showed a Donkey Kong image on it.
Old 01-24-06, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by brainee
When explaining that his relationship with Laura was just business about the creatures, the wife goes: "But ... you went down in a submarine with her!!!" What's that supposed to mean?!? Are submarine trips to the bottom of the sea common excuses for sexual affairs?
HAHA! My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-24-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the Attack of the Nimrods scene. Especially when that hunter was bragging how it was shooting fish in a barrel and that thing bit him.

I am still not satisfied with how the storyline is unfolding. I have been looking forward to Rich & Laura discovering Miles and the Nim storyline and I hate how these characters are practically on different shows. Merge the storylines already.
Old 01-24-06, 10:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
Miles leading them into the water was pretty cool. Good to see him finally make his move on Caitlin.
Old 01-24-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Well, I guess we've got something for everyone now. It appears we have aliens AND genetic engineering. Alien plantlife anyway. I'm guessing that was a meteor crater anyway, and that the weird plant things came from outer space. Then I guess they sliced the plant's DNA with earth animals.

According to TV.com's episode guide,
Spoiler:
it's a tsunami.
Yeah, it seems like they're just throwing everything at us hoping that something works. This show is so incredibly inconsistent. Bring on the Godzilla stomping for the season finale! I really want the sea monsters to win. Unfortunately, I'm sure in the end Bubba and the Doctor will find some solution, but Nimrod will survive and be impregnated by Miles just in case they get renewed.
Old 01-25-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it, but really have no idea where this is heading...only 2 eps left? How are they going to resolve this in any sort of satisfying way...and add me to the list of "why the hell haven't Laura and Miles met up yet" I thought the MSNBC story thing would totally lead to the discovery of Miles/Nim by 3 Doors Down guy and Laura... still entertaining but hopefully they can do something incredible in the next 2...

and what the hell was up with the Monkey/kid...that was freaking weird...I guess Dunston checked out...

MATT
Old 01-27-06, 05:42 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great episode and great show but it seems to be jumping around a lot

started off like Leviathon/Abyss , now it's moved into Island of Dr Moreau territory with some Godzilla to boot

It would suck if this show got cancelled along with threshold. Basically that means we won't see any more shows like this for a while and will be replaced with more reality crap