Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to Lawrence Kasdan?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite Writer/Directors of the 80's and 90's. Responsible for writing such gems as Empire Strikes Back, Raider of the Lost Arc, Big Chill and Silverado started off the 00's by Directing and writing Dreamcatcher??
What happened?
Old 01-23-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No idea, but Dreamcatcher has officially put me in the "I'm never watching another Lawrence Kasdan directed movie again."

Of course, his next film "The Risk Pool" stars Tom Hanks.
Old 01-23-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
No idea, but Dreamcatcher has officially put me in the "I'm never watching another Lawrence Kasdan directed movie again."

Of course, his next film "The Risk Pool" stars Tom Hanks.
Wasn't there some reason why Kasdan wanted his name off the Dreamcatcher credit? I tried looking but I couldn't find it, I could have sworn that he said that wasn't representative of his work or writing and wanted nothing to do with it. Or maybe he was just covering his ass because it was offensively awful.
Old 01-23-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Wasn't there some reason why Kasdan wanted his name off the Dreamcatcher credit? I tried looking but I couldn't find it, I could have sworn that he said that wasn't representative of his work or writing and wanted nothing to do with it. Or maybe he was just covering his ass because it was offensively awful.
How do you go from writing Raiders to Dreamcather. Maybe they studio re edited It?
Old 01-23-06, 01:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Dreamcatcher was dreadful. To Kasdan's credit, the material was nothing to write home about (FYI), but that movie was just flat-out bad.
Old 01-23-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
The fact outtakes were shown at the end of Dreamcatcher proves it was intended to be an epic comedy. The fact nobody was to get the joke was intentional I'm sure.

or not.
Old 01-23-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn't there some reason why Kasdan wanted his name off the Dreamcatcher credit?
Not that I'm aware of. I do know Lucas went to Kasdan to try and get him to write TPM, and Kasdan wasn't really interested. Told Lucas he should write them himself.
Old 01-23-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Dreamcatcher was dreadful.
That is a lot nicer than how i would describe that POS movie.
Old 01-23-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dang, was Dreamcatcher *that* bad? I thought it was semi-ok. But then again, I liked Moon 44.
Old 01-23-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Not that I'm aware of. I do know Lucas went to Kasdan to try and get him to write TPM, and Kasdan wasn't really interested. Told Lucas he should write them himself.
Biggest mistake of his career (after Dreamcather that is). He could have pumped up the characters and given the story dramatic tension.
Old 01-23-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All I know was Mumford was only a couple years before Dreamcatcher, and it was brilliant.
Old 01-23-06, 06:17 PM

Biggest mistake of his career (after Dreamcather that is). He could have pumped up the characters and given the story dramatic tension.
Agreed! See, we have Kasdan to blame for Lucas' dialogue.
Old 01-23-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
He's out spending the mad money he made off that Dreamcatcher picture.
And he's lauging all the way to the bank, especially at the expense of those who really liked that movie.

to fans of Mumford. Criminally underrated movie.

I'm not so sure about Risk Pool. I'm no fan of that russo guy's quirky yet strangely maudlin stuff.
Old 01-24-06, 08:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
All I know was Mumford was only a couple years before Dreamcatcher, and it was brilliant.
Good call. Forgot all about that movie. Brilliant, indeed.
Old 01-24-06, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Yeah I'm sure he's really kicking himself over not doing TPM.
Old 01-24-06, 02:47 PM

Yeah I'm sure he's really kicking himself over not doing TPM.
It would have been a far better choice than doing Dreamcatcher. Jar-Jar farting the national anthem would have been better than Dreamcatcher.
Old 01-25-06, 06:51 PM

The book of Dreamcatcher was a great book by Stephen King who was quoted as to saying that Dreamcatcher was the closest adaptation to any of his books. He's 50% accurate the first half was almost exact, the last half sucked the crust off a donkey's ass.
Spoiler:
Especially the end "I'm Duddits!" and he turns into an alien to defeat the bad guy,
don't care if I spoiled it I may have saved 2 hours of your lives. I hope Kasdan redeems himself. And the Jar Jar comment Terrel..... BRILLIANT!

Last edited by Dead; 01-30-06 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guarantee Morgan Freeman never talks about Dreamcatcher.
Old 01-26-06, 01:04 PM
Cool New Member

All artists have their slip-ups, even great film directors such as John Huston (Phobia), Robert Wise (Rooftops), Sidney Lumet (Gloria) and others. To say that Lawrence Kasdan has lost his artistic verve would be inappropriate; we can not judge a man soley by a single mistake. After all, no human is infallible and given by his past works one could conclude he does indeed possess the attributes of an artist.
Old 01-26-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Schwenkstar
After all, no human is infallible and given by his past works one could conclude he does indeed possess the attributes of an artist.
Well there's that crusty old toilet that's passing as 'art' over in Paris, so the attributes of an artist could be in question But I don't think anybody here has said he's terrible, just that anybody that contributed to Dreamcatcher doesn't exactly highlight that one on their resume.

And I STILL can't find that piece with Kasdan about his problems with Dreamcatcher, this is driving me crazy.
Old 01-26-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
I do know Lucas went to Kasdan to try and get him to write TPM, and Kasdan wasn't really interested. Told Lucas he should write them himself.
Aaaahhh! Don't tell me that! I hate Kasdan now!
Old 01-26-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Schwenkstar
All artists have their slip-ups, even great film directors such as John Huston (Phobia), Robert Wise (Rooftops), Sidney Lumet (Gloria) and others. To say that Lawrence Kasdan has lost his artistic verve would be inappropriate; we can not judge a man soley by a single mistake. After all, no human is infallible and given by his past works one could conclude he does indeed possess the attributes of an artist.
IMO, Paul Thomas Anderson and David Gordon Green both have yet to make a bad movie. But yeah no one in Hollywoodland is infallible.
Old 01-27-06, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Dreamcatcher. In 10 years from now, you guys are going to say it is awesome.
Old 01-30-06, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
IMO, Paul Thomas Anderson and David Gordon Green both have yet to make a bad movie. But yeah no one in Hollywoodland is infallible.
Both of those guys have barely made three movies.

It seems pretty harsh to write off Kasdan based on one really shitty movie. Even though Dream catcher sucks pretty bad, I'm assuming that Kasdan had a lot of studio interference because it was a pretty high profile film. It is definitely worth seeing just for the performance of Damian Lewis. he is incredible in this and Band of Brothers.
Old 01-30-06, 02:40 AM

Two words why Dreamcatcher sucked: ass aliens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.