Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix needs to buy more DVDs

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 10:45 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Image hosting by Photobucket
This is bad.
Old 01-23-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Very informative, what title are you unable to get?
Old 01-23-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Netflix is beginning to tick me off...yet again...with their shenanigans....
Old 01-23-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is bad.
Just out of curiosity I checked blockbuster and only two on your list were not available now .
The Brothers Grimm was "long wait" and Constant Gardner was "short wait".

OTOH, if you want the latest release of Rumpole or All Creatures Great and Small (and I do) Blockbuster doesn't have them at all.
Old 01-23-06, 11:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

I just don't get how they can't have some mechanism in place that orders more DVDs when a title goes into Long Wait mode to satisfy the rush and then when the rush is gone in 6 months sell them used at a reasonable rate thru another site.

March of the Penguins has been LONG WAIT since the day it came out.
Old 01-23-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realized a long time ago that if I don't have a title ship to me on the Monday before release date, it's going to be a long wait.

Unfortunately, I haven't really had better luck with Blockbuster and it's a pretty big drop off from there to the next level of retailers.
Old 01-23-06, 12:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Funny, but my que shows different wait times than yours (as of 1:36 Eastern on 01/23):

Brothers Grimm - Short Wait
Constant Gardner - Short Wait
March of the Penguins - Available Now

Maybe it all depends on the time of day that you view your que. The anticipated wait times are probably adjusted once the day's returns have been checked back into their system and the data has been computed again.

But also... I am curious if a person's que can be different based on the amount of time that the movie has been in your que. I know that I tend to put movies in my que BEFORE they are released. Perhaps this is the reason I tend to get movies in a timely fashion.
Old 01-23-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know for a fact that different customers get different wait times. Friends of mine who have their own accounts often have different wait times for the same movie than I do.

I don't know what they base it on.

And speaking of Blockbuster, while they will often list moves as "Available Now" that have waits on Netflix, in my experience, there are many movies that Blockbuster lists as "Available Now" that they still won't ship (even if there's nothing else in your queue).

My fiance has a Blockbuster account. The top four movies in her queue since she's opened the account have been listed as "Available Now" but have never been shipped to her. There have been times when the only movies in her queue were those four, and she only had one or two movies out, but Blockbuster still didn't ship the movies.

By the same token, movies with listed wait statuses on Blockbuster often get shipped to her.

So, I don't know how accurate Blockbuster's listed wait statuses are overall.
Old 01-23-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You pretty much have to get new releases right away or there will be a wait. Many of my other waits seem to be for discs that are going OOP, so it pays to keep an eye on things. If you're a heavy renter - 3+ discs a week on the three out plan - Netflix will throttle you after about six months. It sucks. I'm a heavy renter and as a consequence they generally ship discs to me the day after they receive one. It's not all bad, though. If you time it right you'll still get new releases. I got Junebug, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, and The Constant Gardener in the last week or two, and Flightplan and The Aristocrats will be on their way to me tomorrow. Out of 292 discs in my queue I have 2 "very long waits" and 2 "short waits", so I guess everyone's mileage will vary depending on what they're interested in. For fun, I added March of the Penguins to my queue and it also showed a long wait. I assume I'd get the same results as GP with his other titles. rich-y, you're probably either a new customer or a light renter and that's why your wait times are shorter than ours.

Last edited by kitkat; 01-23-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 04:51 PM

I know this feeling...I got the first disk of something I had on the list before it came out. The second disk is long wait and has been for months. Obviously they need more copies.
Old 01-23-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And to think, I thought I had it bad with my eternal waits for Cinderella Man and The Being. You are in far worse shape.
Old 01-24-06, 12:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kitkat
rich-y, you're probably either a new customer or a light renter and that's why your wait times are shorter than ours.
No, I've been with Netflix for over a year now on the "5 Out" plan. I average 5 movies per week. Maybe that's considered "light", but I'm not sure what "medium" usage would be.
Old 01-24-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
You should have posted this a couple of weeks ago. I would have mailed Perfect Blue to you for free, just to take it off my hands.
Old 01-27-06, 02:28 PM
Banned

You know, we are in our 3rd week with Netflixs. We have a list of about 30 dvd's we want delivered, not one states LONG WAIT, even the newest releases state SHORT WAIT. Since we are still using our 30 day free trial are we getting preferred treatment to keep us? I know if I start seeing long wait I am cancelling, their service is not the best and they time for them to get their disks back is un-acceptable....
Old 01-27-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Since we are still using our 30 day free trial are we getting preferred treatment to keep us?
Yes. It used to take six months before they'd start throttling but I'm not sure if that's still true. Depending on how many discs you go through per month you may never get throttled.

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
I know if I start seeing long wait I am cancelling, their service is not the best and they time for them to get their disks back is un-acceptable....
Are you sure it's not your P.O.? I've been throttled for well over a year, but they always check my discs in the same moring the P.O. would deliver them. On the other hand, a lot of people say they have experienced what you're claiming so maybe some distribution centers are better about this than others. It would be interesting to know what the deal is.