Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How low will prices go for Plasma/LCD?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent the past week looking at plasma sets and decided I definitely don't want anything smaller than 50". I want a movie experience, not just the feeling of watching a TV (and that size is just right for our den). Do any of you guys know of good, recent articles that discuss the short term future of pricing for these sets? I know recently a 50" Zenith plasma could be had for under $2400 with rebates and coupons. Wonder how much more these TVs will drop over the next year or two?

(edit to add)... this is the only article I found online talking about this topic:

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2006/01/10/ January 10, 2006

"Are you still itching to buy that HDTV? Many people have opened their wallets to buy high def TVs already. But if you haven’t, there is a great opportunity coming your way. Over the past 12 months, HDTV prices have dropped by half. The drops coming forward are even better. Why? First of all, tons of companies have jumped into making HDTVs. That includes companies that traditionally make cell phones and computers. As a result, the supply is going to exceed demand and the deals are going through the roof. HDTVs have routinely sold for about $3,000 and really good shoppers have paid about $1,200 to $1,500. Looking forward to the end of this year, quality HDTVs will be just $800 or $900. In addition, the amount of programming and content will be better by the fall or the end of the year. So, there is an advantage to waiting."

Last edited by atlantamoi; 01-22-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, that's about what I figure.

I'm not sure they'll go much lower than that however. After that, I suspect the TV manufacturers will start adding more features to keep the price up.

Smaller TVs are still going to drop in price rapidly, however. I expect what-CRTs-used-to-cost-prices in 18 months.
Old 01-23-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I figure if people are STILL buying them at higher prices, manufactures do not have to lower prices too much. I've been looking for a 26" LCD as a PC/TV monitor over the past 2 months and prices still seem to be TOO high. Especially when I got a 55" RPTV for $2000 almost 5 years ago. I know different technologies....but still, not too much of a drop....yet.
Old 01-23-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm close to dropping the bucks, but judging from the past 12 months I think I will wait longer to see what happens. Of course, that can be a game... in a year I'll decide to keep waiting! Actually, when you are talking about possibly saving enough money for a week long cruise for two then it's not hard to wait a tad bit longer.
Old 01-23-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm close to dropping the bucks, but judging from the past 12 months I think I will wait longer to see what happens. Of course, that can be a game... in a year I'll decide to keep waiting! Actually, when you are talking about possibly saving enough money for a week long cruise for two then it's not hard to wait a tad bit longer.
Just remember my friend, technology will ALWAYS drop as it ages and new tech comes out. So really, you can be playing an eternal waiting game.

Your best bet is to purchase newer, but not the newest, technology. I bought my 42" HD Plasma when the 50" HD plasma were just begining to drop. I got a great deal ($1800 for an HD Panasonic Panel), and even though that will probably be $1500 or less by the end of the year, I won't feel like I got jobbed.
Old 01-23-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't remember the article, but it mentioned that DLP's will likely be around $1000 by Christmas. I think I'll get one...something in the 40-50" range. My SONY CRT HD will do for now.
Old 01-23-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 50" prices are dropping like a rock right now.

Just hold on a bit longer...
Old 01-23-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Just remember my friend, technology will ALWAYS drop as it ages and new tech comes out. So really, you can be playing an eternal waiting game.
Yeah, I agree. But people have differing price points and mine hasn't quite been met yet.
Old 01-23-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I see the larger screens dropping, too bad smaller ones aren't. They still have 26" LCD for $1000-$1500 for a decent TV. I know you can get some 42" or larger for $2000 or less. Doesn't seem to make much sense.....
Old 01-23-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I agree. But people have differing price points and mine hasn't quite been met yet.
Well, what is your pricing point?
Old 01-23-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well, what is your pricing point?
Probably under $2k for a 50" plasma. I'm not really in a big hurry. I never finance anything that I buy so I usually feel the bite harder when purchasing a big ticket item. I don't mind waiting another year or longer with the setup I have at home. BUT, I do look at those TVs and smile!
Old 01-23-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably under $2k for a 50" plasma. I'm not really in a big hurry. I never finance anything that I buy so I usually feel the bite harder when purchasing a big ticket item. I don't mind waiting another year or longer with the setup I have at home. BUT, I do look at those TVs and smile!
If I was a betting man, I would say that would be possible by year end.
Old 01-23-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When asked about this SHARP top guy said they think by this year an inch will be around $50 the most.Thats the price for LCD.With Panasonic building a new factory and releasing more Plasma then the price war is almost here.Summer this year is Soccer World Cup so TV's and High Vision DVD recorders are in demand in Japan.So by then they want to get out the best value for money stuff.
Old 01-24-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kumar J
When asked about this SHARP top guy said they think by this year an inch will be around $50 the most.Thats the price for LCD.With Panasonic building a new factory and releasing more Plasma then the price war is almost here.Summer this year is Soccer World Cup so TV's and High Vision DVD recorders are in demand in Japan.So by then they want to get out the best value for money stuff.
Isn't that the price right now jsut about $50/per inch seems a bit high. A 26" LCD would be $1300...which seems on the high end. I hope they drop more than that. Hell, I can get a 26" SHARP LCD for around $1000 right now. I was hoping we would see some more deals with the SuperBowl around the corner, but I guess not.
Old 01-24-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Isn't that the price right now jsut about $50/per inch seems a bit high. A 26" LCD would be $1300...which seems on the high end. I hope they drop more than that. Hell, I can get a 26" SHARP LCD for around $1000 right now. I was hoping we would see some more deals with the SuperBowl around the corner, but I guess not.
They can't really say it will be $50/inch because there is a point (around 42") where LCDs start to get very expensive. Not to mention, like you said that the smaller sized ones are much cheaper than $50/inch.
Old 01-24-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hing End Plasma is selling right now in Japan for about $87 per inch.So the price is still high.The Black screen Pioneer Plasma is sellling sround JPY500,000 for a 50' model.So the conversion is about US$87 per inch.Still high right?The bigger the screen the more expensive the cost of making.Same like memory in the ols days when 1 stick 1gb of ram for laptop would cost 3 times of a 512mb.So I opted to buy 2 sticks of 512mb ram
Old 01-25-06, 02:25 PM

One consideration I had when buying my set was the cost of furniture. I live in Manhattan and space is at a premium, making a plasma a necessity (or so I told my wife). By purchasing the plasma we didn't have to buy an armoire or other stand for it and saved that cost. It really opened up the room and gave us more space, which may be worth more to you than waiting for the price to drop a couple of hundred dollars.