Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Failure to Launch fails to launch in time for V-Day

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Failure To Launch, the new Matthew McConaughey movie, has been pushed back from 2/10 until 3/10 according to Box Office Mojo. Why would Paramount move this release date so quickly? This was penciled in as the big romantic comedy for this Valentine's Day. Not like the move upsets me, the film isn't my cup of tea, but it is a surprising move regardless.
Old 01-20-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Me thinks test screenings might have gone badly.
Old 01-20-06, 02:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Me thinks test screenings might have gone badly.
A simple one month bump doesn't usually indicate that.

There's a ton of other, big releases that weekend (FIREWALL, CURIOUS GEORGE, PINK PANTHER, FINAL DESTINATION 3), which is the real reason why it was moved.
Old 01-20-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're right Scott, it is a crowded weekend. I wouldn't have been surprised if one of those other films was bumped, but bumping the romantic comedy on Valentine's is just odd. I think this film would have opened up at #1 over all those other ones you listed, especially with the date crowd that will be at the multiplexes that weekend.
Old 01-20-06, 03:44 PM

Glad to hear that the Final Destination trilogy has finally been completed.
Old 01-20-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought they were launching an exclusive movie on V-Cast for cell phones.
Old 01-20-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
A simple one month bump doesn't usually indicate that.

There's a ton of other, big releases that weekend (FIREWALL, CURIOUS GEORGE, PINK PANTHER, FINAL DESTINATION 3), which is the real reason why it was moved.
To tell you the truth, I have no clue how those four films are going to preform.

I assume Curious George will be the number one film that weekend simply due to it's a family film with a built-in audience already established.

Final Destination 3 should have a $20 million opening weekend similar to the first two films that came before it and the fact the last two "major" R-rated horror films struck box office gold their first weekends in.

I am not going to be surprised if Firewall and Pink Panther bomb. Harrison Ford isn't the draw that he used to be and a lot of people probably thought Pink Panther came out already (due to it being heavily advertised during the summer before Sony pulled it from the calendar).

Failure To Launch probably would've done decent business -- or -- had legs due to the fact that it's a romantic comedy, but I can see the logic on why it was moved. Why a month, I don't know, but they could've delayed it until the 17th or the weekend after that.
Old 01-20-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHy not move it up, a week early?
Old 01-20-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The preview for Firewall made me believe that Harrison Ford really can't act.
Old 01-25-06, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw...I can't friggin wait to see these 2.
Old 01-25-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The preview for Firewall made me believe that Harrison Ford really can't act.
Harrison Ford is an awesome actor. He convincingly plays Harrison Ford in every one of his film roles.
Old 01-25-06, 11:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm more surprised Curious George and Pink Panther are opening at the same time. They've been pushing Pink Panther to kids so those films are going to be competing for a lot of the same audience.
Old 03-18-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this tonight and it was, as expected, your average romantic comedy yarn. Nothing that really puts it over the top in the romantic or comedic department. Failure To Launch is a film that you will see and easily forget the minute you leave the theatre.

Glad to see that Sarah Jessica Parker is getting work (however good or bad the script may be), though. I find her great and I guess I'm one of the few that actually finds her attractive. She's also one of only two positives things contained in the film - the other being Zooey Deschanel. I didn't need to see Terry Bradshaw in that light, either.
Old 03-19-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I generally liked it but there were some very silly scenes( the animal stuff) that took me out of the otherwise cute romantic comedy. I loved Bradshaw and Bates just like I thought i would and Parker's roomates was cool too.

The pacing seemed to be hurried. IMHO, Parker came into the picture too soon.
Old 03-19-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I generally liked it but there were some very silly scenes( the animal stuff) that took me out of the otherwise cute romantic comedy. I loved Bradshaw and Bates just like I thought i would and Parker's roomates was cool too.

The pacing seemed to be hurried. IMHO, Parker came into the picture too soon.
I agree, the animal stuff was getting redundant and I couldn't find any symbolism behind it, which I doubt was the point with a movie like this anyway.

I also agree that Parker came in too soon storywise, but the film being only about an hour - 1/2, I expected her sooner than later.

Bates was good, but had absolutely nothing to do in the film. I wish she had a couple of good comedic scenes, but she was basically filler.