Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of Horror nixes Miike's episode

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Masters of Horror nixes Miike's episode

I haven't seen this topic here yet. Have you guys followed this show heard this news: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=5731 and the source article http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/ar...on/19horr.html

Pretty sad. We were wondering where the really scary, disturbing, no-holds-barred horror was? Turns out that Showtime isn't really interested in it. God forbid they show something that's actually disturbing in a series called "Masters of Horror". With this producer mentality, it probably explains why the bulk of the episodes have been jokey and campy -- really nothing more than "Tales From the Darkside" or "Monsters" but with more boobs and blood.
Old 01-19-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Why would someone hire a guy like Miike, but expect him not to do what he does best? That would be like someone hiring Quentin Tarantino, and telling him "no cursing, blood, or cool 70's music".
At least Miike's episode will be available on DVD, so it's not a complete loss.
Old 01-19-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that blows. I really hate waiting for DVD but I guess I have to. It was the one I was most looking forward to.
Old 01-19-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, it's time to cancel Showtime. That's the only thing keeping me around to seeing this.
Old 01-19-06, 03:50 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Well, it's time to cancel Showtime. That's the only thing keeping me around to seeing this.
Make sure you send them a letter telling them why you're cancelling.
Old 01-19-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like his episode gets a little inspiration from fruiti chan's Dumplings. Cool.

And Showtime, WTF? Have you not seen any of his work before?
Old 01-19-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I just heard about this and came here to make sure someone had posted something about it. This is highly disappointing. Like many of you, this is one of the eps that I have been looking forward to from the start of this series. It is nice that it will be available on DVD, but isn't the point of this show to actually air something disturbing and horrific, not just sell it? I don't know what else to say other than the fact that I'm shocked that Showtime would pull an ep of this series, especially for doing what the mission statement of the show was.
Old 01-19-06, 04:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
given the rumour that Argento's episode was cut of some it's more extreme gore and the stipulation that Showtime enacted on the director's on it's no male nudity clause - the folks over at HBO would have treated this series and it's directors with a little more respect and less restraints. Showtime are real ass-shats for this!
Old 01-19-06, 04:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Sounds like his episode gets a little inspiration from fruiti chan's Dumplings. Cool.
which is insanely sick flick (in a good horrific way).
Old 01-19-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
which is insanely sick flick (in a good horrific way).
You know, I still have only seen the shorter version included in Three Extremes. I want to see the longer, feature-length cut.
Old 01-19-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is lame. First Roger Corman got replaced, and now Miike's episode gets canned. So much for Masters of Horrors.
Old 01-19-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rabbit77
And Showtime, WTF? Have you not seen any of his work before?
They actually show Miike's "Ichi" and "Gozu", but maybe they slipped under the attention of the "suits". I can't imagine "Imprint" being more graphic than "Ichi". I guess gore and violence is ok as long as its done campy. Plus, "Imprint" deals with abortion. AB's DVD treatment is a bit suspicious too. At least to start, they're not doing a season set. Each episode (1 hour) goes on a separate DVD at full price ($17 or in 2-packs for $30). This isn't anime -- $17 for 1 hour of tv programming on DVD doesn't cut it.

Has anyone heard the news of next season's line-up. Not too good -- it's mostly retreads consisting of Mick Garris and his friends (like Carpenter, Dante, Hooper, Coscarelli, Landis, Gordon, and of course Garris himself). With the way Miike has been treated, why would a cutting-edge horror filmmaker want to do this?
Old 01-19-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
given the rumour that Argento's episode was cut of some it's more extreme gore and the stipulation that Showtime enacted on the director's on it's no male nudity clause - the folks over at HBO would have treated this series and it's directors with a little more respect and less restraints. Showtime are real ass-shats for this!
Couldn't agree more. As a huge Miike fan, this is a definte low blow.
Old 01-19-06, 05:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
so i guess this means that tomorrow's ep is the last one, right?
Old 01-19-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a crafty move to sell more DVDs.
Old 01-19-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by RaraFemina
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Why would someone hire a guy like Miike, but expect him not to do what he does best?
Typical Hollywood mentality.

They want to think something is "dark and edgy," but if they get something that fits the description, they freak out.
Old 01-19-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
so i guess this means that tomorrow's ep is the last one, right?
Nah, there's one more: John McNaughton and Clive Barker's "Haekel's Tale".
Old 01-19-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is really sad news.
Old 01-19-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
They actually show Miike's "Ichi" and "Gozu", but maybe they slipped under the attention of the "suits". I can't imagine "Imprint" being more graphic than "Ichi". I guess gore and violence is ok as long as its done campy. Plus, "Imprint" deals with abortion. AB's DVD treatment is a bit suspicious too. At least to start, they're not doing a season set. Each episode (1 hour) goes on a separate DVD at full price ($17 or in 2-packs for $30). This isn't anime -- $17 for 1 hour of tv programming on DVD doesn't cut it.

Has anyone heard the news of next season's line-up. Not too good -- it's mostly retreads consisting of Mick Garris and his friends (like Carpenter, Dante, Hooper, Coscarelli, Landis, Gordon, and of course Garris himself). With the way Miike has been treated, why would a cutting-edge horror filmmaker want to do this?
DeepDiscountDVD has the two pack selling for $17.99, and the individual for $10.19. Unless they don't shop around no one will be paying $30 for two episodes.

http://search.deepdiscountdvd.com/se...x=0&search.y=0

Also when they show Ichi do they show the unrated cut or the R-Rated? There is a very big difference between the two.
Old 01-19-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is just... For months since I first heard of this series and found out Miike would be a part of it, I was hoping that his episode would be one of the first shown. Then it turned out to be the last.

How in the fuck could they cancel Miike's episode? I think most horror fans would have said this was easily the most anticipated episode in the series. Showtime gives Dead Like Me a raw deal, censors an earlier episode and now cancels this one. I'm one of those that just subscribes to all the pay channels all year round, but I'm done with Showtime. I'm not paying them to censor me from the "evil" content that HBO has no problem showing.

*edited to add* I ended up sending a letter to Showtime. Pretty long-winded, and it'll probably end up in the trash without being read, but I'm just extremely pissed over this. First over losing the one episode I was dying to watch from this series, and second because I'm paying a good sum of money to this network to have uncensored content, and they are now censoring and banning "unsuitable content."

Ever since your series "Masters of Horror" was announced, and the true Master of Modern Horror, Takashi Miike was said to have done an episode, I was thrilled. There were many names that weren't really true "Masters", but Miike and Carpenter gave hope for this series.

After having been disappointed that Miike's episode wasn't one of the first episodes shown, I realized that it was probably considered to have been one of the better episodes and thus saved to show last. Well, after sitting through week after week of sub-par television, many episodes (Chocolat, Dance of the Dead, etc.) not even anything I'd consider horror, I took comfort that Miike's episode was a week closer.

Then one of the first episodes I actually enjoyed from the Master's of Horror series, Argento's Jenifer, I later read was censored by your network. Now the reason I pay to subscribe to your channel and others each month isn't to watch movies I already own on DVD. I pay to watch quality programming that is uncensored. There's plenty of good television out there that I don't have to pay for, but I'm willing to pay to be able to enjoy content that made for an adult audience.

Now comes news that you have removed Miike's Masters of Horror episode because it was deemed by Showtime to be "too mature" for a mature audience is both infuriating and insulting. If I wanted to watch programming that was a little bit mature, but not too mature, I'd watch F/X. From all reviews of Miike'e episode, it was an amazing hour of horror. That this is the second time in a single series that you've taken to censoring content... After having subscribed to your network continuously for well over a decade, I won't be any longer. There are other pay channels out there that do not seek to censor content, and that do not ignore quality in favor of "shielding" their viewers from content they deem to be inappropriate.

I sincerely hope you will reevaluate your policy on censoring and banning content that someone at your network deems appropriate and air Miike's episode. If I pay to be able to watch a network that is not subject to FCC regulation, I believe I'm paying to be my own judge of what is and is not appropriate for me to watch. That you have censored one episode and banned another from just one series; I have to wonder how often theatrical films on your network are altered if they have "unsuitable" content.

So long as there is competition that is not afraid to air what the content creators seek to film, I believe you are taking a path that will do nothing but lose subscribers. There are plenty of free networks that already seek to "big brother" programming for those faint of heart. As far as this series goes, you have made a point to spit in the face of those same horror fans you sought to attract with this series. Miike is well-respected among most horror buffs, so whether or not your censoring of content in general ends up costing you a substantial number of viewers, you can be assured that this insult to one of the few true Masters of Horror that took part in the series will cost you at least some viewers, myself one of them.

Last edited by coladar; 01-19-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RaraFemina
At least Miike's episode will be available on DVD, so it's not a complete loss.
Geez, talk about a blind buy.

Is the series doing as well as Showtime hoped? Maybe this is some fucked-up form of marketing...figured it was more bankable to release it ONLY on DVD.
Old 01-20-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is going to have a second season, so I guess the ratings are good. The second season is pretty much going to be most of the same people back.

Has Showtime censored any other show or movie?

I wish HBO had this series.
Old 01-20-06, 08:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Lame.
Old 01-20-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what i don't understand is that showtime has indeed shown ichi the killer in its full uncut status before (on one of their spinoff networks).
Old 01-20-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Lame. This was the one episode I was looking forward to seeing.

I was hyped to high hell when I initially heard about the series well over a year ago, especially that Miike would have his US debut with it. Anticipation grew, then I saw the first few episodes. And was absolutely crushed.

The series has been a continual disappointment, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I've always had a great dislike toward Showtime's original programming, and with the comments floating around in their reports, it's no wonder why they'll never reach the levels of HBO OP. MOH was a continual disappointment, so the canning of Miike's episode is no real surprise, it may have changed my mind of the project.

You know, I still have only seen the shorter version included in Three Extremes. I want to see the longer, feature-length cut.
The extended (full) version of Dumplings has a different ending, while good, I actually prefer the shorter one. Just figured I'd throw that out there .

Last edited by RichC2; 01-20-06 at 01:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.