Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Video Game Movie on DVD?

Save Ferris
01-18-06, 03:02 PM
Im not talking about that movie that came to theaters awhile ago--im trying to find info about this one i saw in an ad for GameInformer magazine.

I want to find out more about it and ask anyone who knows some questions about it--Basically if Ive never played a FF game, will this catch me up to speed on what the franchise is about?

PixyJunket
01-18-06, 03:11 PM
No.

It's just a "sequel" of sorts to Final Fantasy VII.

dtcarson
01-18-06, 03:13 PM
Advent Children?

http://www.adventchildren.net/

That's a movie sequel to one of the most popular RPG's of all time, Final Fantasy VII.
As such, being familiar with FFVII will definitely help. I haven't seen it or the preview yet, so I don't know if it's required.

Regarding the game franchise, even though they are numbered like sequels, the games aren't true 'sequels', with the exception of FFX and FFX-2. They share some commonalities [some monsters, some gameplay concepts, airship, Cid, spells, summons, etc], but AFAIK, it's really not necessary to play any of them to 'know what's going on' in other games [again, except for FFX and FFX-2, although even that isn't really 'necessary', except for the overriding plot point of 'who's this guy']. And for the last couple iterations, they have tweaked major portions of the game [either the way the game plays, or the way the characters get skills, or the way combat plays out] so they're not just rehashing the whole thing.

Save Ferris
01-18-06, 03:17 PM
oh ok. Yea Advent Children is the one.

Im thinking PS3 will be my first Playstation console and im pretty sure id like to check this series out. I think ive seen some clips from this movie and it looked interesting as well.

Noonan
01-18-06, 03:24 PM
The movie is a continuation of FFVII. All of the FF games are independent stories and have no real connection (except for FFX and FFX2 for PS2). I was able to see an import copy of the movie. I don't think someone would really enjoy it unless they've played through FFVII first. The CGI is amazing, but you wouldn't really understand the story.

Save Ferris
01-18-06, 03:36 PM
wow really? that sucks.

Joe Molotov
01-18-06, 04:53 PM
If you've never played Final Fantasy VII, then watching Advent Children would basically amount to watching a random group of people engage in a bunch of really crazy fight scenes with a little nonsensical plot-filler added to serve as a buffer in-between the fight scenes.

If you've played Final Fantasy VII, the difference is that they aren't just random people.

PixyJunket
01-18-06, 04:56 PM
If you've never played Final Fantasy VII, then watching Advent Children would basically amount to watching a random group of people engage in a bunch of really crazy fight scenes with a little nonsensical plot-filler added to serve as a buffer in-between the fight scenes.

If you've played Final Fantasy VII, the difference is that they aren't just random people.Well said and much agreed. :lol:

Josh H
01-18-06, 05:01 PM

If you've played Final Fantasy VII, the difference is that they aren't just random people.

Good. I wanted to check it out, but haven't played FFVII since it came out and don't remember the story very well (just the major plot points).