Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is SuperBowl XL going to be in HD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is SuperBowl XL going to be in HD?

I really wanted to get a HD cable service but right now my cable provider only broadcast 8 HD channels (ABC, ESPNHD, HBOHD, DiscoveryHD, ...), so if the SuperBowl XL will be in HD then I'll have a reason to check the HD service out.

What will be the differences in watching SuperBowl XL between Analog/digital and HD?
Old 01-18-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Super Bowl has been in HD for a couple years now, so yes.
Old 01-18-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Yes, on ABC-HD.
Old 01-18-06, 01:15 PM

The difference, in addition to the much higher resolution, is the 16:9 aspect ratio which will allow you to see more of the field!!
Old 01-18-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your TV has a built-in HD tuner, it doesn't even matter what your cable company provides most likely. If you're close enough, you should be able to pick up the HD feed of ABC with a regular antenna without much trouble.

Watching football in HD, you can generally see more of the field and often more clearly see the players' numbers to tell who they are.
Old 01-18-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do they even shoot any games in standard-def anymore?

Pretty much every game I saw this season was in HD, and that was from Fox, CBS, ABC, and ESPN. . .

Last edited by Matt; 01-18-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-18-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lest we forget, the game is also going to be 5.1. It gives you a real sense of being at the stadium when you hear crowd and game noise in the left and right speakers (front/rear) with the announcers coming from the center.
Old 01-18-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Virex
Do they even shoot any games in standard-def anymore?

Pretty much every game I saw this season was in HD, and that was from Fox, CBS, ABC, and ESPN. . .

CBS only had 3 games per Sunday in HD as part of their slate.
Old 01-18-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They need to get with the times. I was able to live with it a couple of years ago, but there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be broadcasting all their games in HD.
Old 01-18-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by IamFlip
What will be the differences in watching SuperBowl XL between Analog/digital and HD?
You wouldnt even believe it
Old 01-18-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Luckily for me, all the games aired locally here in OKC were in HD this season.
Old 01-18-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
I was able to live with it a couple of years ago, but there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be broadcasting all their games in HD.
Actually, there is absolutely a reason -- not enough HD production trucks to go around.
Old 01-18-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you need to watch a football game or any sports for that matter on HD to be able to really appreciate HD.
Old 01-18-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 910 Likes on 672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I think you need to watch a football game or any sports for that matter on HD to be able to really appreciate HD.
Either that or an episode of CSI Miami. You may not like it as a show (I only watch it if I'm bored and there's nothing else on), but the colors are amazing. Easily the best looking HD program I've seen.
Old 01-18-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
I won't be able to get it in HD. Just found out today. I have DirecTV, and I'm too far away for OTA, so I reqeusted a waiver for ABC and NBC. Both were denied.
I don't get it, they gave me FOX and CBS almost a year ago. This is only the second time I've asked, and got shot down.
DirecTV did tell me that I could now get my locals from Philadelphia in HD, if I upgrade to a new HD receiver (non-DVR type) and a new dish with 5 LNB's for $200. I told them, I'm not paying them for anymore hardware, epspecially a non-DVR.

But, I agree, HD is the way to go. I'll watch just about anything in HD now. I never watch college sports or NBA, but I'll check them out if they're in HD.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 01-18-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-18-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 910 Likes on 672 Posts
5 LNB's?? That's crazy.

Even a roof antenna won't allow you to pull in the signal?
Old 01-18-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Just be warned, once you watch a football game in HD there is no going back. You will never want to have to watch a game in SD ever again. It's THAT awesome.
Old 01-18-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
Either that or an episode of CSI Miami. You may not like it as a show (I only watch it if I'm bored and there's nothing else on), but the colors are amazing. Easily the best looking HD program I've seen.
I feel that way about American Idol.
Old 01-18-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I feel that way about American Idol.
yup. i've even watched Reba on HD. *shudder*
Old 01-18-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I won't be able to get it in HD. Just found out today. I have DirecTV, and I'm too far away for OTA, so I reqeusted a waiver for ABC and NBC. Both were denied.
I don't get it, they gave me FOX and CBS almost a year ago. This is only the second time I've asked, and got shot down.
DirecTV did tell me that I could now get my locals from Philadelphia in HD, if I upgrade to a new HD receiver (non-DVR type) and a new dish with 5 LNB's for $200. I told them, I'm not paying them for anymore hardware, epspecially a non-DVR.

But, I agree, HD is the way to go. I'll watch just about anything in HD now. I never watch college sports or NBA, but I'll check them out if they're in HD.
FUCK THEM.

Get cable and take advantage of the sattelite switch offers.
Old 01-18-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't get it, they gave me FOX and CBS almost a year ago.
It is your local stations that have to sign the waiver, not DirecTV. I'd recommend calling the stations yourself and asking for a waiver. If you get it, just mail/fax it to DirecTV.
Old 01-18-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
FUCK THEM.

Get cable and take advantage of the sattelite switch offers.
Cable is not much better in my area. I can only get Atlantic Broadband, and they don't offer HD. (Sidenote, I've been waiting for 3 weeks+ for them to install my broadband internet.)

I might trying to call the networks, but would I call my local, Philly, or the NY one that I would receive?
Old 01-18-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

How about OTA? How far are you away from the Philly (or Baltimore) transmitters?
Old 01-18-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
yeah, i was watching 24, which looks alright, but not the greatest, but i hear fox filters the image), and then at 10, switched over to csi miami, and holy shit, the color's were just popping out of the screen. (I didn't watch that long, are there any good looking women on that show?)
Old 01-18-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
They need to get with the times. I was able to live with it a couple of years ago, but there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be broadcasting all their games in HD.
Tell me about it. It seemed like virtually ever CBS game I got was no-HD, but that's partly because I live in the Baltimore Ravens area and Baltimore sucked, so I guess they didn't rank enough to get HD. Fox is very good in this area though, and I remember getting the Super Bowl in HD on ABC 3 years ago, so good for them. ESPN is also a pretty big offender. Not for football, but most other things are not in HD. And ESPN HD has been around a while. Quite disappointing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.