Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs you prefer live versions of

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know if it's because the live version is what I was exposed to first, or if it's actually "better" in some way, but there are a couple of songs that I much prefer the live versions of.

Bouncing Around The Room by Phish

I recently heard the studio version of this song, and I couldn't believe how lacking in energy it seemed.

Hey Girl by O.A.R.

The studio version sounds very "pop" or light rock to me, but the live version is much more of a rock song.

I'm sure there are other songs like this. These are just examples that really stuck out to me.
Old 01-18-06, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender" by Cheap Trick.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2

And my karaoke version of Clarence Carter's "Strokin'"
Old 01-18-06, 10:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Every song an disk one, side one of 1969 Velvet Underground Live With Lou Reed:

"Waiting for the Man"
"Lisa Says"
"What Goes On"
"Sweet Jane"

I think each is the definitive version of those songs, particularly "Sweet Jane", as that particular live version has a graceful and subtle quality that's sadly lacking elsewhere in the other versions the Velvets (and Lou) released.
Old 01-18-06, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'Cities'/'I Zimbra' - Talking Heads (from 'Stop Making Sense' and 'The Name of the Band is...')
Old 01-18-06, 11:00 AM

Down in the Tube Station at Midnight by The Jam
Old 01-18-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Ashes of American Flags" by Wilco. Nels Cline does some really pretty guitar work in it that wasn't there on the studio version. There are a couple of others like that, too ("Airline to Heaven" is one), but Ashes is the first to spring to mind.
Old 01-18-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Old 01-18-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
About half the songs on The Concert in Central Park.
Old 01-18-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Heart of the Matter - on The Eagles Hell Freezes Over
Old 01-18-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Abacab
Old 01-18-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by StuddThunders
"Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2
Definetly.

"Roadhouse Blues" The Doors
Old 01-18-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
"Growin' Up" and "Backstreets" from Springsteen's Live 1975-85

"Biko" Peter Gabriel
Old 01-18-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Joe Cock - With a Little Help From My Friends

Talking Heads - Once In a Lifetime

Orbital - Halcyon+on+on
Old 01-18-06, 04:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I imagine "Joe Cock" live shows are very entertaining, but I doubt they have much musical merit.
Old 01-18-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by StuddThunders
"I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender" by Cheap Trick.
Absolutely, anybody that has the original version vs. the live version (or well known version) can hear that right away.
Old 01-18-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sherm42
Heart of the Matter - on The Eagles Hell Freezes Over
I'll add "The Last Resort" from that show. There's just so much more emotion in the live version.

Other songs:

"The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks. Love the extra verse.

"Suite Sister Mary" by Queensryche. The live performance on the "Building Empires" tour and the recent Mindcrime anniversary tour w/ Pamela Martin reprising her character as Sister Mary for the song. Definitely a sight to see.
Old 01-18-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
"The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks. Love the extra verse.
And "Friends in Low Places" with its extra verse as well. Fun song.
Old 01-18-06, 05:39 PM
Banned

Pretty much any Frank Zappa instrumental, but mainly "King Kong" and "Black Napkins."
Old 01-18-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
Absolutely, anybody that has the original version vs. the live version (or well known version) can hear that right away.

Actually, the 'original version' (which can be heard as a bonus track on the re-mastered version of their debut album) has a drum beat and shuffle feel that sounds more like Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz". The second studio version, which was on their second album In Color - is pretty lame. They blame their producer at the time for the crappy arrangement, because even they don't like that version. The live version is definetly the way to, though.

I'll also add...

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Tuesday's Gone" and "Freebird"

Peter Frampton - "Do You Feel Like We Do" (same story as Cheap Trick, crappy studio arrangment)

Todd Rundgren & Utopia - "Just One Victory" - from Another Live, kicks the studio version's ass, and has a great extended guitar solo.

Thin Lizzy - "Don't Believe A Word" (from the Live/Life album, as they play the song in the original slower arrangement it was written in - although I still like the 'rocking' studio version, too)

KISS - almost anything on ALIVE sounds better than the studio versions of the same songs, but particularly - "Rock N Roll All Nite" and "Black Diamond".

AC/DC - "The Jack" (dirtier lyrics), "Rocker" (longer guitar solo) - both from If You Want Blood...

U2 - "Bad", "Bullet the Blue SKy" and "With Or Without You" (which has an added lyric refrain not on the studio version) - from Rattle & Hum (the movie).

Eric Clapton - "I Shot the Sheriff" - from Live At Hyde Park, "Old Love" - from Eric Clapton & Friends - Crossroads Benefit.

...and not that I like it better than the Mazzy Star original, but Flickerstick's live cover "Fade Into You" is pretty damn sweet, too.
Old 01-18-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I usually prefer the live version to the studio on just about everything. I like songs to end rather than fade out. Rock guitar just seems so much better to me when live. There are exceptions. Don't care much for live versions with a lot of audience participation also there are poor quality live recordings. Practically anything Clapton or Zeppelin is better live. Never liked the Song Remains the Same version of "Rock and Roll" but the How the West Was Won version is awesome. The hard rockin' version of "We Will Rock You" that opens Queen's Live Killers is great too. Blue Oyster Cult live is superior to studio.
Old 01-18-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Actually, the 'original version' (which can be heard as a bonus track on the re-mastered version of their debut album) has a drum beat and shuffle feel that sounds more like Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz". The second studio version, which was on their second album In Color - is pretty lame.
Ah. I actually have the re-mastered CD, will take a listen to it again (has been awhile)...but I meant the one that was on the 'original' album.
Old 01-18-06, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Virex
"Ashes of American Flags" by Wilco. Nels Cline does some really pretty guitar work in it that wasn't there on the studio version. There are a couple of others like that, too ("Airline to Heaven" is one), but Ashes is the first to spring to mind.
I think Wilco's entire catalog is better live than on cd. I love their albums but their live performances are leaps and bounds more gripping and interesting. "Spiders", "I am Trying to Break your Heart", and "Misunderstood" come to mind immediately. I love Wilco.
Old 01-18-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thing-fish24
Pretty much any Frank Zappa instrumental, but mainly "King Kong" and "Black Napkins."
Agreed, his guitar playing doesn't get enough recognition.
Old 01-19-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Judas Priest: "Green Manalishi" and "Diamonds and Rust" from Uleashed In The East
Old 01-19-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I usually prefer the live version to the studio on just about everything. I like songs to end rather than fade out. Rock guitar just seems so much better to me when live. There are exceptions. Don't care much for live versions with a lot of audience participation also there are poor quality live recordings. Practically anything Clapton or Zeppelin is better live. Never liked the Song Remains the Same version of "Rock and Roll" but the How the West Was Won version is awesome. The hard rockin' version of "We Will Rock You" that opens Queen's Live Killers is great too. Blue Oyster Cult live is superior to studio.
I also prefer live tunes to studio recordings in most cases. This site has been posted here before but is well worth repeating, http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php Thousands of live shows, all from tape friendly artists. A few of the highlights include: Jack Johnson, Ryan Adams, Guster, Hank Williams III, G Love & Special Sauce and more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.