Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

new Stylusmagazine.com design

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone a Stylus fan? I love their features and their reviews are alright. The new layout looks suburb and high class. Any other fans?
Old 01-17-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've never heard of it. Since it has been recommended, I'll check it out.
Old 01-17-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I haven't really played around with the redesigned site, but I love Stylus. Their "Playing God" and "Staff Top 10" features are usually great, although I've taken their reviews with a grain of salt ever since they gave Eminem's Encore a "0" (now an "F" since they switched to letter grades). Yeah, the album was pretty bad, but not that bad.
Old 01-17-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Their content looks pretty cool, and that's what's important. But that is the RE-design? It looks completely disorganized and too-plain on top of that, and not in a simple less-is-more kind of way.

But content is what is important, so I won't judge it on its design.
Old 01-17-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stylus' all time greatest basslines was an awesome feature. I loved their idea for the Electric Light Orchestra Hall of Fame features but some of them were a little lacking though. Playing God is a really fun feature. Stylus' features are way better than Pitchfork's IMO.
Old 01-18-06, 07:05 PM

I've been a fan for the last few years. I like a lot of the features they do since they give you a reason to come back each day even if what's being reviewed doesn't catch your eye.

Their review(er)s are usually a lot more balanced than Pitchfork; less "harsh" and unnecessary trashing and not as many hyperbolic "BEST NEW BAND OF THE DECADE!!!" claims. That's one of the things that's slowly turned me off of PF after a few years of nearly swearing by them. They've gotten to the point where they're practically just telling you what you "should" be listening to. Maybe it's just me.. I dunno.

Anyways... the new Stylus layout looks pretty nice, although it's a bit too similar to Pitchfork's current format. I think it might just be the colors since I'm used to the older ones.
Old 01-18-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Poink
Anyways... the new Stylus layout looks pretty nice, although it's a bit too similar to Pitchfork's current format. I think it might just be the colors since I'm used to the older ones.
Yes, but Pitchfork's at least is readable. Stylus's design took steps back. I actually like how it looked in '03.
Old 01-22-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked looking how it looked in 2003 but just to see their top 10 albums to sleep to and say this one:
07) Elysian Fields – Bleed Your Cedar
Asleep by: "Fountains on Fire"
Old 01-22-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never visited the site before but when the first thing to great me is a huge picture of Laura Cantrell it must not be all bad.