Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tristan & Isolde

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tristan & Isolde

For a director who loves historical epics as much as Kevin Reynolds, he doesn;t seem to be able to make a good one. My girlfriend liked it, I thought it was mediocre. Rufus Sewell is good, but then again he's the only one who seems like a fleshed-out character. James Franco's performance is flat, lifeless and makes inanimate planks seem energetic, which saddens me - he's quite a talented chap otherwise.

I did get a kick out of hearing "King Donnacha" though... it's not a common name, so hearing people say my name with fear in their voice in a movie was cool.
Old 01-17-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Perhaps we'll get a Franchise Pictures boxset when this hits DVD. A nice tin containing this movie, Battlefield Earth, and Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever.
Old 01-17-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Obviously cut down a little bit in the violence department to get a PG-13, but the whole thing worked well enough, and Sophia Myles is just hot!
Old 01-17-06, 10:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Obviously cut down a little bit in the violence department to get a PG-13
But what's there is pretty potent stuff. Maybe the MPAA took off the month of January...

Too bad somebody cast James Franco in this. He's really out of his element.

But good to see Kevin Reynolds working. I count myself as a fan.
Old 01-17-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed on the fight scenes - it's very violent. The fight scenes are brutal, messy and look like they hurt. Blood, beheadings etc.

And for all those people who loved the Merry Men's Sherwood Forest traps in Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, Reynolds recycles them for this...
Old 01-17-06, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
But good to see Kevin Reynolds working. I count myself as a fan.
Same here, although it truly seemed like he lost his way after FANDANGO and THE BEAST, two really great underappreciated films. I know it's crap but I can't bring myself to hate WATERWORLD, which has some amusing moments and occasional spectacle. I was equally impressed and frustrated by the painfully ambitious RAPA NUI. Not too fond of ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES but at least it gave Reynolds a nice paycheck, I suppose. I thought he was totally lost until he got back to basics with 187, a really stylish and gripping little film. And then THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO was an unexpected treat. Again, it felt like Reynolds was struggling through it all but in the end, I was rooting for him, and I found it to be a nicely satisfying film.

Haven't seen TRISTAN & ISOLDE yet but I hear it's solid, fairly well-made but not particularly memorable. I can't stand James Franco, so maybe that's why I'm dragging my feet on this one.
Old 10-07-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Just saw this and I thought it was better than average. As for the outcome,
Spoiler:
rather depressing

I think it could have been helped by being trimmed, although I'm not sure entirely where without going back and looking. I felt the beginning and the end have a good pace, but for some reason the middle was slow. Perhaps too much wandering - literally.

Also, while I didn't find Franco particularly bad, the chemistry between him and Myles just wasn't there as much as it could have been. That's a shame, especially since she did such a good job. She'll make your heart break with the amount of grief she can emote.

Good to see Rufus Sewell not be the villian.
Old 10-08-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
This is one of those movies where I caught it on cable and actually liked it.
Old 10-08-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. Wasn't expecting much and got something. I thought it was pretty well done and kept my interest throughout.
Old 10-08-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first saw the trailer for this it produced laughter and near vomiting. But, one boring day I sat down and watched it and it turned out to be pretty decent. I don't mind Franco too much, he's kinda like a good Josh Hartnett, but he did seem a little out of place in this.
Old 10-10-07, 07:23 AM

I think James Franco is exceptionally good looking, but other than the stunning Irish scenery and coastline, nothing here was very good. Like a Hallmark movie really. Im surprised that Franco hasnt really been cast as a serious male lead ever though - most of his solo movies have sunk.