DVD Talk
Possible to combine PCI TUner Card with Integrated Video [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Possible to combine PCI TUner Card with Integrated Video

chanster
01-13-06, 05:12 PM
Can you add a TV tuner card to a computer that has integrated video on the motherboard? I know its a simple question but I don't know the answer. Thx.

X
01-13-06, 05:24 PM
Yes. There are no connections between them other than what goes through the motherboard, just as any standard card.

McHawkson
01-13-06, 05:28 PM
It should be working. If you want to add graphic card on it, you will need to disable integrated video to make your graphic card work.

chanster
01-13-06, 05:39 PM
Can I ask for a recommendation? I'm not a big gamer but enjoy TV on the computer.
I am getting a computer with ATI Express 200 Integrated Video (128 Shared Memory)

I am thinking about either replacing it with a ATI PCI Elite TV Tuner Card or getting a ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 PCI Express and just dropping the integrated video all around.

As I said, I'm not a big gamer, I enjoy playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 but thats about it. I'm not in bleeding edge graphics games Thx.

McHawkson
01-13-06, 05:51 PM
ATI All-in-Wonder is a great card. If I were in your shoe, I would have picked that one.

X
01-13-06, 06:03 PM
ATI AIW cards limit the software you can use to view and capture TV.

I would not combine my video card with a tuner. Too many eggs in one basket if one part goes bad or you want to upgrade one of the functions.

wmansir
01-13-06, 07:45 PM
I would recommend getting a separate TV tuner too. In the last 10 years I've upgraded my video card 5 or 6 times but only had to upgrade my TV tuner once, and that was the makers of my 1st card went out of business and stopped making drivers.

I've been pondering upgrading again because my current card isn't windows MCE compatible and I've been looking into that.