DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Blockbuster dvd security device

lxjenkins
01-13-06, 02:02 PM
I just got back from blockbuster only to discover that the dvd I rent still has the yellow plastic insert that prevents you from opening the dvd case. My question is, is there some way to remove it wtihout trashing the case itself? I live a good 30 minutes from the nearest blockbuster and don't feel like wasting my time to go back there to have it removed for me.

Cinemaddiction
01-13-06, 02:16 PM
Cut open the back along one of the sides of the spine. If they're like the Hollywood red tabs, they only run through the bottom of the amaray.

nemein
01-13-06, 02:20 PM
I know the ones from Hollywood Video are based on a metal flap locking the security device into place (they forgot to take them off of a couple of DVDs I purchased one time so I ended up tearing them apart). Assuming these are the same, maybe playing around w/ a strong magnet will work/let you slide it out.

lxjenkins
01-13-06, 02:40 PM
The magnet worked great...thanks! Didn't even screw up the case.

MikeDeN2K
01-13-06, 02:51 PM
i work there, i always tell people to just trash the case if they want...

we have plenty of replacement cases, the only way we get ticked is if we don't have the insert/barcode sticker, especially for new releases we have a bunch of copies of.

KillerQ
01-13-06, 08:51 PM
Haha,

That reminds me -- I remember when I rented a DVD once around midnight, and when I got it home, I realized that they forgot to take the locking device off. Of course, It didn't make sense to wait until the next day, take it, then come home and watch it -- so we used a butterknife to unlock it. Well, it turned out that by 'unlocking', I meant sawing, and smashing. We ended up getting the DVD out just fine...

When we returned it, the clerk said that we should have waited. I just smiled and walked away :)

Later,

Matt

Jake77444
01-13-06, 10:19 PM
Haha,

That reminds me -- I remember when I rented a DVD once around midnight, and when I got it home, I realized that they forgot to take the locking device off. Of course, It didn't make sense to wait until the next day, take it, then come home and watch it -- so we used a butterknife to unlock it. Well, it turned out that by 'unlocking', I meant sawing, and smashing. We ended up getting the DVD out just fine...

When we returned it, the clerk said that we should have waited. I just smiled and walked away :)

Later,

Matt

Butterknife worked for me too once when i was to lazy to go all the way back and have them take it off. Of course I think the dvd case disagreed with me after i was done with it.

nemein
01-13-06, 10:50 PM
The magnet worked great...thanks! Didn't even screw up the case.

Make sure you snap it back into place before returning it ;) I'm sure that'll generate a couple of stories...

GIjon213
01-14-06, 11:44 AM
I also used to work there, and we always just told customers who called in about this to cut it along the spine like Cinemaddict said. We never had a problem with that.

camerberg
01-14-06, 11:46 AM
I also used to work there, and we always just told customers who called in about this to cut it along the spine like Cinemaddict said. We never had a problem with that.

Good to know.

thedrwes
05-31-09, 11:07 AM
yeah, i tend to unlock my customers movies.

jjcool
05-31-09, 11:40 AM

I had a clerk, not sure if it was blockbuster or not, say that to me once. I told him he should have done his job and removed the security device when I checked out the dvd. He didnt know what to say to that.

jjcool
05-31-09, 11:42 AM
Make sure you snap it back into place before returning it ;) I'm sure that'll generate a couple of stories...

Maybe get a free rental out of the deal too.

riotinmyskull
05-31-09, 11:43 AM
yeah, i tend to unlock my customers movies.

you also tend to bump 3 year old threads.

KillerQ
05-31-09, 12:14 PM
you also tend to bump 3 year old threads.

Riot,

Haha... you beat me to it... I couldn't even remember how old it was - I had to log in just to check.

It's nice to see that people still read around, i suppose....

Later,

Matt!