Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pick my next 360 game for me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pick my next 360 game for me.

Im about to purchase another 360 game next week and want you guys to choose it for me based on the info I give along with your advice. Here are some important things you need to know before giving me suggestions.

1. I currently own Madden 06, NBA 2K6, and PGR3
2. I am a HUGE sports gamer. Ive only finish one non sports game (KOTOR 1 on Xbox) since the days of Sonic and Mario. I even left Halo unfinished, never bought Halo 2, and left KOTOR 2 unfinished. Im not opposed to those games and will always give them a try. Im thinking on buying Gears of War and other games of the like (Prey etc.) this time aroound and hopefully Ill give them a fair shot and enjoy them.
3. My favorite is football games followed by basketball but I enjoy all sports games.
4. I loved the old school adventure games like Sonic,Mario, Streets of Rage etc.
5. I suck at race car games but plan on getting better with PGR.
6. I played NHL 3k6 but the graphics (or lack thereof) was just too much to handle with it supposedly being a next gen game.
7. Not into heavy shooter games so COD and Perfect Dark are probably out.
6. Played the Fifa demo and it was OK. Id definitely have to rent it first before buying.

What should I get? Im leaning towards Tiger Woods or Need For Speed or EA's Hockey and cant wait for Top Spin and MLB 2k6 and the first WWE game.

Suggestions?
Old 01-11-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EA does NOT have a hockey game for 360.

-Tiger Woods is a decent game, I enjoy the graphics, but people say they are not next gen.
-NHL 2K6 is a GOOD game, I think it's on par with NBA 2K6 for next gen system. If you already own the game I would pass, but I liked it (rented it)

-If you have LIVE, I would go with a FPS (if you like them). Call of Duty is EXCELLENT...great single player. Perfet Dark is fun for LIVE play....Halo-ish.

-People seem to LOVE Amped 3...no LIVE play, but good story mode. I will pick it up eventually...price drop hopefully.

Not sure, you pretty much ruled most games out.....maybe Need For Speed if you want an arcade racer.
Old 01-11-06, 01:57 PM
Retired

I'd probably go with Tiger out of those.
Old 01-11-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've rented most of the sports stuff and haven't loved any of them enough to buy, except Madden which I'm hopelessly addicted to whatever they put out. If you're going to rent, I'd recommend giving Condemned a shot. Awesome graphics and gameplay, I thought it gave a really good next-gen feel. But if it must be a sports game, I'd rent Tiger first as well. Just seemed like a rehash of old stuff with a limited course selection.
Old 01-11-06, 02:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

You think about Tony Hawk American Wasteland?
Old 01-11-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
I would just wait it out. Maybe for Burnout or one of the upcoming sports games. You don't like FPS's, and IMHO, mastering PGR3 takes precedence over getting another racing game like Need For Speed (try out the demo, though).
Old 01-11-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I suggest that you try the Fight Night Demo if you haven't already. This is what you want, and it'll make your jaw drop.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 01-11-06 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hows is Tony Hawk? I enjoyed it on Xbox. I have the FN3 demo and all I have to say is WOW. My thing is if Im gonna buy a next gen game, I want a bit of a next gen feel in terms of graphics. I guess thats why Ive looked past some of the flaws of Madden 360 because it looks good. Dont get me wrong, gameplay is king, but if Im dropping 60 on a next gen game I want some appealing graphics too.

How are the graphics for Amped and Tony Hawk? So far those two and Tiger are the front runners.
Old 01-11-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
4. I loved the old school adventure games like Sonic,Mario, Streets of Rage etc.
Kameo: Elements of Power - the most fun I've had on the 360 yet. I think it is the most underrated game of the launch. It isn't super hard either since it seems you may be a bit rusty in the adventure genre. The game can be beat in about 15 hours, but there is so much more to the game that you can do if you enjoy the game like side quests, collecting things, score-attack, or co-op. Plus it can still be had for $40 at Best Buy until the end of the month with a coupon.
Old 01-11-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Let me know if you are interested in COD2, I could make you a deal on one.
Old 01-11-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need for Speed in my opinion is awful and I love PGR3.

Locks up alot and just doesn't race the same.
Old 01-11-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need For Speed: Most Wanted

It's not very hard as a racing game

It has good graphics

It's reasonably fun

It will take a while to beat

The rest of the currently available games aren't worth the $$$
Old 01-11-06, 04:52 PM

Don't let other people decide for you. Just grow some cajones and pick your own game.
Old 01-11-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tygan
Don't let other people decide for you. Just grow some cajones and pick your own game.
Wow. I didnt know asking for suggestions meant I have yet to grow testicles. I wonder what these two... nevermind.

Thanx for the advice thus far. I think Im gonna rent some of these suggestions.
Old 01-11-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know you indicated that you are not into FPS, but so far, what I've played of COD2 is great. I'm playing the single player campaing and am liking it alot.

I don't like all FPS either, however unlike you I did finish Halo and Halo2 and liked them (especially Halo) alot. I only played Halo2 online with some buddies from work, but not with the general Live population.

On a side note I have Half Life 2 and haven't gotten into it nearly as much as COD2. Not sure why, I think it might be the loading screens, etc that keep taking me out of the immersiveness of the game.

So, I would recommend COD2, even for those not really into FPS. Its very immersive and has been a blast so far. I'm playing through on the easy setting, but definitely can see replaying this on harder difficulties.

Another thought, why not try some content from the marketplace. That might well be your speed.
Old 01-11-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on your gaming interests, I'd say wait until either Top Spin or Fight Night come out later this spring. Both games look incredible, especially Fight Night. I was on the fence about buying it until I played that incredible demo, now that will probably be the next 360 game I buy as well.
Old 01-27-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Kameo: Elements of Power - the most fun I've had on the 360 yet. I think it is the most underrated game of the launch. It isn't super hard either since it seems you may be a bit rusty in the adventure genre. The game can be beat in about 15 hours, but there is so much more to the game that you can do if you enjoy the game like side quests, collecting things, score-attack, or co-op. Plus it can still be had for $40 at Best Buy until the end of the month with a coupon.
This may be my next choice. Looks like fun. Is this like a Zelda type adventure game?
Old 01-27-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This may be my next choice. Looks like fun. Is this like a Zelda type adventure game?
Kameo is like a platformer. It's pretty good, but there have been a few levels that really sucked the life out of the game. The controls for some of the creatures are just HORRID. I actually stopped playing for now and I'm probably 60% done (I think I have 7/10 of the creatures rescued/unlocked)

It's only been 6 hours or so....but that is because some spots I just got stuck and annoyed.

It's a decent game...I enjoy it, but I will have to get motivated to finish it.
Old 01-27-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
It's a good cross between Zelda & Mario. A platformer with adventure elements, or vice-versa.

Nothing was terribly complicated. Only one character is difficult to control but once you get the hang of it, you are fine.
Old 01-27-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I bought this using the $10 Best Buy coupon. Gonna fire it up when I get home.
Old 01-27-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went with Tiger Woods. Its a fun game.
Old 01-27-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Geometry Wars

D
Old 01-28-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only game I got so far is PD0 but I really want Condemned. It seems like a good dark game, like manhunt which I loved. I don't even know when I will hook up my brand new 360 but I can't wait to play PD0 and Condemned. The next one I really want for it seems to be Kameo for the action. The kids played a demo in Target once and I liked it. Fight night 3 should be pretty great on 360 too, so many good games. The most dissapointing thing for me though is that Demonik was cancelled. I wanted this one more than anything just for the potential it offered and the Clive Barker storyline.