Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Philips DVD642 won't play in 16:9

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently hooked up my new widescreen TV. When setting up the DVP642 it won't switch over to 16:9 mode. When 16:9 is selected, it seems to stretch the picture vertically but still showing in the 4:3 box.

Anyone else have this problem? I called Philips and they are saying it is a TV problem, but that can't be the case since my Yamaha player and xbox play in widescreen just fine.

Thanks for the help. Don't want to have to buy a new one and go through the return process if I don't have to.
Old 01-11-06, 08:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by lethalkrs
I recently hooked up my new widescreen TV. When setting up the DVP642 it won't switch over to 16:9 mode. When 16:9 is selected, it seems to stretch the picture vertically but still showing in the 4:3 box.
I don't remember exactly what modes are offered. Is there anything like a "native" option on the player along with 16:9 and 4:3?

If not, are there input based format selection options on the TV? I know that at one point I thought one of my players had a problem and it turned out that I was using a different input on the TV and had the settings wrong for that particular input.
Old 01-11-06, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dead
I don't remember exactly what modes are offered. Is there anything like a "native" option on the player along with 16:9 and 4:3?

If not, are there input based format selection options on the TV? I know that at one point I thought one of my players had a problem and it turned out that I was using a different input on the TV and had the settings wrong for that particular input.
The options on the player setup are 4:2 p&s, 4:3 LB and 16:9. I have hooked it up to another input and still same problem.
Old 01-11-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you check the TV's settings for either of those inputs? It could be set to a zoom mode instead of fullscreen 16:9.
Old 01-11-06, 02:45 PM

By chance, are you trying to play a PAL disc? Not familiar with the Philips but some of the inexpensive region free models it can't do both PAL/NTSC and anamorphic simultaneously, something to do with a chipset. For instance on the old Sampos and Daewoo 5800/5900 you couldn't, on the Daewoo 9200n and Cyberhome 500 you could.
Old 01-11-06, 03:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Spiky
Did you check the TV's settings for either of those inputs? It could be set to a zoom mode instead of fullscreen 16:9.

If you've not double checked the TV for things like this or what I mentioned earlier, I would do that next. If that doesn't work, you might have to swap the player out to learn anything more.
Old 01-13-06, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky

This seems to have been the problem. The Yamaha played fine with the same setting without making any changes. Oh well, as long as it works.
Old 01-13-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you choose progressive scan?
Old 01-15-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raul3
did you choose progressive scan?
And are you using component cables?