Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please confirm my HT Setup

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making my first attempt at HDTV / Home Theatre setup and would appreciate some confirmation that this is correct. The Receiver has the DVD player built into it.

DVI/HDMI cable from cable box (DVI out) into TV (HDMI in)
Component cables from HD Cable Box into A/V Receiver
Optical cable from HD Cable Box to A/V Receiver
Optical cable from A/V Receiver to TV

Not too sure if that sounds right, any advice would be helpful
Old 01-08-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have too many cables running. Here is what you should have - DVI from cable box to TV. Optical cable from Cable box to receiver. That's it.

Enjoy your setup!

Last edited by BobDole42; 01-08-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have too many cables running. Here is what you should have - DVI from cable box to TV. Optical cable from Cable box to TV. That's it.

Enjoy your setup!
Shouldn't the receiver factor into the equation somewhere?
Old 01-08-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hpnas
Yeah, I'd do what he said except run the optical to the reciever. And don't forget to send DVD out to the TV via component. There's really no need to run audio through the TV unless you plan on listening to the TV's speakers. If you do, I'd just run standard red/white RCA cables in since most TV's can't decode Dolby Digital anyway.

And there's no need to feed the reciever component video from the cable box when you already have DVI/HDMI running directly to the set.
Old 01-08-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oops! typo. Fixed now. Thanks!
Old 01-08-06, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yeah, I'd do what he said except run the optical to the reciever. And don't forget to send DVD out to the TV via component. There's really no need to run audio through the TV unless you plan on listening to the TV's speakers. If you do, I'd just run standard red/white RCA cables in since most TV's can't decode Dolby Digital anyway.

And there's no need to feed the reciever component video from the cable box when you already have DVI/HDMI running directly to the set.
So should it look something like this??

Component cables from A/V Receiver to the TV
Old 01-08-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So should it look something like this??

Component cables from A/V Receiver to the TV
Looks good to me! Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-08-06, 07:30 PM

Looks good to me! Let us know how it works out.
Great, thanks. Going to order all my cables now from monoprice.com
Old 01-08-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great, thanks. Going to order all my cables now from monoprice.com
Monoprice is a great site - unbeatable prices and good quality.
Old 01-11-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a little new setting this all up, too. I had a Sony CRT with high def box and sony progressive scan DVD player.

I just bought a new 50" Samsung DLP. I plugged the high-def cable box using component video cables and I'm not that pleased with the picture. Same with the DVDs. I mean - it's nice but not incredible. I am just using the basic cables that came from the cable company.

I only have one HDMI input - should I plug the High Def cable box into that or the DVD player? I'm also assuming I need a new upconverting DVD player. But if the HDMI input is used by the cable - would that even matter? I thought I knew what I was doing but I really have clue.

Now - about the cables I should get - the prices on mono are much better than monster cables - are monster overpriced?
Old 01-11-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You definitely need an upconverting DVD player for your DLP. Use the component cables for the cable box - hdmi won't help the cable box's picture - save the hdmi input for the dvd player.

regular (non-hd) tv is going to look worse on a large tv, especially if your old set wasn't hd (old analog tvs do a better job hiding the flaws of low-res broadcasts). How does HD look on the Sammy? It should look awesome.
Old 01-12-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangerory
Now - about the cables I should get - the prices on mono are much better than monster cables - are monster overpriced?
I'm afraid the bold words are the biggest understatement you could possibly make. Yes, is the answer. There's really no reason whatsoever to purchase Monster. Even if you just like the fancy looks and are willing to drop lots of cash for that, you can find fancy-looking cables that perform just as well for half the price. Or you can find ones at the same high prices that perform better, and look better.
Old 01-12-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You definitely need an upconverting DVD player for your DLP. Use the component cables for the cable box - hdmi won't help the cable box's picture - save the hdmi input for the dvd player.

regular (non-hd) tv is going to look worse on a large tv, especially if your old set wasn't hd (old analog tvs do a better job hiding the flaws of low-res broadcasts). How does HD look on the Sammy? It should look awesome.
I'll finally be getting my hd cable box from Time Warner next week. Are you saying you should just use component cables to connect it with the tv? I haven't bought a HDMI cable yet.
Old 01-12-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah HD looks incredible - was just not too impressed with the regular cable. my old set was HD but 32" - not 50". Oh well. Went ahead and got the samsung HD850 upconverting player. Also bought some mono cables - thanks for the recs!

I do have a PCI input I discovered - (god I'm such a noob) - so I guess I could do both DVD player with HDMI to PCI and cable with HDMI - but if the HDMI won't help the cable, not sure it matters much.

The TV does have some "cable card" slot - not sure what that is or even if my cable co. has something that could work in there.
Old 01-13-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cable card would replace your cable box. You should be able to get all the digital channels, including HD. Just not PPV. You can check into it if you want, I don't know if it would be cheaper or more expensive than the box.

What is a PCI input? Do you mean VGA, like a computer monitor?
Old 01-13-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Making my first attempt at HDTV / Home Theatre setup and would appreciate some confirmation that this is correct. The Receiver has the DVD player built into it.

Component cables from HD Cable Box into A/V Receiver
Optical cable from A/V Receiver to TV

Not too sure if that sounds right, any advice would be helpful
Just follow the setup logically. All your video comes "out" at the TV. If you have separate speakers, audio comes "out" at the speakers. Otherwise, it comes "out" at the TV and it comes "out" in stereo. You mentioned you have an A/V receiver, so I assume this receiver has at least component inputs.

So, assuming you have speakers, let's look at each chain.

CABLE TV
Video: Comes in from cable in the wall, through cable box, (through receiver) to your display device (TV).
Audio: Comes in from cable in the wall, through cable box, to receiver, to your speakers.

DVD (built into receiver)
Video: Comes in from the DVD disc, through the receiver, to your display device.
Audio: Comes in from the DVD disc, through the receiver, out to your speakers.

SETUP TYPE 1
So, get a component cable from your cable box to your receiver, then a component cable from your receiver to your TV.
Get an optical cable from your cable box to your receiver.
Total cables needed: 3

SETUP TYPE 2
Get an HDMI cable from your cable box to your display device.
Get an optical cable from your cable box to your receiver.
Total cables needed: 2

Can you tell the difference between HDMI and Component? If you can, setup 2 is better for you. This gives you a direct link from the cable box to your TV via HDMI.

Would you like your HT to be easy to operate? If so, setup 1 is better for you. You only need to use one button to switch the receiver from TV mode to DVD move. This makes it easier for other family members, guests, etc. Otherwise, if you use Setup 2, you have to set the TV to "Cable", then set the receiver to "Cable" to watch TV, then set the TV to "DVD" and set the receiver to "DVD" to watch a DVD.

It's all up to you, as far as what is easier for you.
Old 01-13-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Cable card would replace your cable box. You should be able to get all the digital channels, including HD. Just not PPV. You can check into it if you want, I don't know if it would be cheaper or more expensive than the box.

What is a PCI input? Do you mean VGA, like a computer monitor?
If he has Comcast, he wouldn't get OnDemand, and no on screen guide, although there's a type of onscreen guide with the TV, just not the same thing.
Old 01-13-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just remember, if you decide to buy into one of the HD formats coming out this year, you'll also need the HDMI input for that. At least you will for HD-DVD. Blu-Ray may or may not require HDMI for HD.

Congrats on the new HT!