Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beatles : HEAVY (New CD Rumor)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PAUL McCARTNEY RUMORED TO BE WORKING ON NEW BEATLES 'HEAVY' COLLECTION

Jan 4, 2006

By: Howie Edelson

Will there be new Beatles music in 2006? Some Internet chatter says Paul McCartney is supervising a new compilation called The Beatles: HEAVY, featuring latter-day harder-edged songs, such as "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," "I've Got A Feeling," and "Birthday," that the band included on their later albums, The White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road.

It's also being said that the disc will include at least one previously unreleased Beatles song. Although no titles were given, many are assuming that the tune in question is the infamous 27-minute version of "Helter Skelter" that has been languishing in the vaults since 1968, and is considered by many to be the "holy grail" of Beatles outtakes.

Another White Album-era recording, called "Sour Milk Sea," written by George Harrison, is also rumored to be a contender for the still unannounced album. It features McCartney, Harrison, Ringo Starr, keyboardist Nicky Hopkins, and Eric Clapton, and was recorded and released by Apple artist Jackie Lomax. It's rumored that if a version with Harrison on lead vocals were located, it could appear on the new album.

A spokesperson for the Beatles'record company, Apple, told us that he was unaware of any release plans for this year.

Industry insiders told us that the rumored album may include special 5.1 stereo mixes done in 1998 under the supervision of the Beatles'chief engineer Geoff Emerick.

In 1976, as a follow-up to the group's hit double compilations The Beatles 1962/1966 and The Beatles 1967/1970, the group's label Capitol/EMI released a double-record collection called Rock 'N'Roll Music, showcasing the group's heavier side. The compilation included "Got To Get You Into My Life" from the group's 1966 Revolver album, which was never released as a single in the '60s, but hit Number Seven in the Spring of 1976. The release was kept out of the Number One slot by Paul McCartney amp; Wings'Wings At The Speed Of Sound album.

The Beatles'last official release -- and the last approved by the late George Harrison -- was 2003's Let It Be ... Naked. That album, which features stripped down remixes of key tracks from the group's January 1969 sessions, peaked at Number Five on the charts.
Old 01-08-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This would be cool, I don't know if a 27 minute Helter Skelter is as cool as it sounds though. Any new Beatles music, though, is great news!!!
Old 01-08-06, 06:48 PM

Is another compilation really necessary?

Personally, I think they should dump this idea and work on getting their whole catalogue on iTunes instead.
Old 01-08-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thought of 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' in 5.1 alone is enough to get me excited.
Old 01-09-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Personally, I think they should dump this idea and work on getting their whole catalogue on iTunes instead.
Or more importantly, on getting the catalogue remastered and rereleased on CD, SACD or DVD-A!
Old 01-09-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
It's also being said that the disc will include at least one previously unreleased Beatles song. Although no titles were given, many are assuming that the tune in question is the infamous 27-minute version of "Helter Skelter" that has been languishing in the vaults since 1968, and is considered by many to be the "holy grail" of Beatles outtakes.
So, does "in the vaults" mean released on every bootleg Beatles collection for the last 25 years?
Old 01-10-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Or more importantly, on getting the catalogue remastered and rereleased on CD, SACD or DVD-A!

Anyone heard the status on that? I remember seeing something about that.
Old 01-10-06, 09:41 AM

I expected Volume II of the Capital box set (US albums) to be released this past Christmas. I figured they'd release all of the US versions remastered. And then come out with remastered UK albums with the marketing pitch "hear these albums they way they were meant to be heard." In fact, I still think they'll do that.
Old 01-10-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
So, does "in the vaults" mean released on every bootleg Beatles collection for the last 25 years?
Yes. That is what it means. 99.9% of Beatles' fans would never hear that song unless it was officially released.
Old 01-12-06, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like the whole idea of releasing comps of tracks and then adding one new song to it.
Old 01-12-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Me neither. And I cannot for the life of me understand the management of The Beatles catalog. Just about every artist who's anybody has had their CD's remastered, issued as special editions, repackaged and resold many times over. Yet the original Beatles albums are exactly as they were when first mastered for CD almost 20 years ago. Isn't this a fairly important band?

They don't seem to have a problem churning out gimmicky compliations though.
Old 01-12-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Are the same people who would release a new album REALLY the same people who work out iTunes releases...and do you really think that THE BEATLES dont have enough manpower to get whatever they want done?
Old 01-13-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by nazz

A spokesperson for the Beatles'record company, Apple, told us that he was unaware of any release plans for this year.
Don't know about this album, but I have it on VERY good authority that there will be a new, remastered compilation in conjunction with the new Cirque De Soleil show that will open in May. The title of the show is still under wraps. I hear the soundtrack will likely be released late in the fall. A lot of work has been put into this music, so it should be an important addition to their catalog.
Old 01-13-06, 02:44 AM
Banned

Personally, I'm glad they don't screw with the contents of the Beatles CDs as they were originally released. Each one is a listening experience unto itself; any extra material featured afterward would be somewhat jarring to an old man like me.

HOWEVER, I agree with the above post(s) that 1 new track on a comp is not enough. I'd pick it up online (shhhh), or get a promo CD single of it somehow (I have my ways, haha).
Old 01-13-06, 12:40 PM
Banned

Is another compilation really necessary?

Yeah because who needs 5.1 mixes of "new" songs when you can have compressed versions of previously released material.
Old 01-13-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yeah because who needs 5.1 mixes of "new" songs when you can have compressed versions of previously released material.

Strong agreement.
Old 01-16-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Yes. That is what it means. 99.9% of Beatles' fans would never hear that song unless it was officially released.
No, the 27-minute take of "Helter Skelter" has never been released on any bootleg.
Old 01-31-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't know about this album, but I have it on VERY good authority that there will be a new, remastered compilation in conjunction with the new Cirque De Soleil show that will open in May. The title of the show is still under wraps. I hear the soundtrack will likely be released late in the fall. A lot of work has been put into this music, so it should be an important addition to their catalog.
That's interesting news that I hadn't been aware of. I could see them doing this to promote the show but what I would prefer would be a DTS 5.1 DVD of the performance.

No, the 27-minute take of "Helter Skelter" has never been released on any bootleg.
That's what I was thinking too. I've never come across one in my search for obscure material.
Old 01-31-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SACD is dead.

But yeah, somebody wake me when they get the catalogue remastered in Hi-Rez for DVD-A or DualDisc or whatever the hell technology will be available next week. Screw another compilation... If I want a "Beatles Mix Tape" I'll make my own.
Old 01-31-06, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd love to see Paul and Ringo just record a brand new album as The Beatles. Fill in the missing slots with Scott Stapp and Ryan Adams.
Old 01-31-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How come funny Groucho never visits the Music forum?
Old 01-31-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
How come funny Groucho never visits the Music forum?
There's a funny Groucho?
Old 02-01-06, 02:48 AM
Banned

The funny Groucho died years ago...his last name was Marx!