Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

FINAL FANTASY XI for Xbox 360 beta test

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-06, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received email about joining the the Final Fantasy for Xbox 360 beta test.
Haven't had a chance to read the complete site, but here's the website.

http://www.playonline.com/betaus/
Old 01-08-06, 12:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are they going to charge a subscription fee to play on the 360 when the full version comes out? Or will it just be part of Live?
Old 01-08-06, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Are they going to charge a subscription fee to play on the 360 when the full version comes out? Or will it just be part of Live?
I would imagine there will be a fee as the servers are beng run by Square.

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 01-08-06 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-08-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I signed up and received an email back with a link to sign up. I didn't try that link since I don't have the demo (next issue of OXM I assume?) but I noticed that the email didn't seem complete. The link to the documentation doesn't work and it contained something like <insert something here>.

Am I correct that I'll be able to get the actual demo from OXM?
Old 01-08-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit
Am I correct that I'll be able to get the actual demo from OXM?
The Q & A section of the site says that the demo will be in a future issue of OXM.
Old 01-08-06, 10:22 AM
Suspended

That OXM issue should be out on 1/17.
Old 01-09-06, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
That's ridiculous. You don't pay a fee to use EA's servers Xbox Live games. So now you're paying a fee for Xbox Live, paying for the game itself, which costs more than the PC version, and a fee to use Square's servers? Glad I didn't pre-order this one.
Old 01-09-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
That's obvious. They make money with the PC and PS2 versions, so they are gonna try it with this one. They might charge less, but I definitely see a fee. Like Suprmallet said, it is ridiculous, but it's almost a given.
Old 01-09-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's ridiculous. You don't pay a fee to use EA's servers Xbox Live games. So now you're paying a fee for Xbox Live, paying for the game itself, which costs more than the PC version, and a fee to use Square's servers? Glad I didn't pre-order this one.
There's a ton of work that goes into keeping an MMO running. I think the fee is completely justified.

That being said, I think releasing a near 3 year old game with minor to no improvements sucks. I have no plans to purchase this game.
Old 01-09-06, 08:17 AM

I would be suprised if any MMO didnt charge a fee, I have no problem paying a fee to play one even after I paid for XBOX Live but give me a new one not a 3 year old game.
Old 01-09-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it's a good way to suck someone in with a free trial though. I think most of these should at least have that. I'm not a big MMO player, never played one actually...never been into RPG's much. But, if it's on a console, I may give it a shot. We'll see though....
Old 01-09-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Blame that on Microsoft, not SE.

Why do you have to pay for XBox Live for FFXI, anyway? You can't connect directly to the internet on the XBox?
Old 01-09-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bluntman72
I would be suprised if any MMO didnt charge a fee, I have no problem paying a fee to play one even after I paid for XBOX Live but give me a new one not a 3 year old game.

Guild Wars does not and it is awesome, I wish they would port this over. I thought the whole point of XBox Live was that MS wanted stable servers they could oversee and no other companies charging fees. I will pick this up if there is no fee, other wise I will skip it.

Could you rent this game for the PS2? Did you have to pay a fee to play for the week or 2?
Old 01-09-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Guild Wars does not and it is awesome, I wish they would port this over. I thought the whole point of XBox Live was that MS wanted stable servers they could oversee and no other companies charging fees. I will pick this up if there is no fee, other wise I will skip it.

Could you rent this game for the PS2? Did you have to pay a fee to play for the week or 2?
You needed a separate hard drive (which came with the game already on it) to play it on the PS2, so there'd be no point (unless you could rent the drive and everything). I'm pretty sure you could rent Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2, and it included an account when you did.
Old 01-09-06, 10:51 AM
Banned

Well, nobody knows if you have to pay a fee for EA's servers.

You also don't pay for xbox live anymore as
The "Silver Membership" service for Xbox Live is free
Old 01-09-06, 07:46 PM

I just received my copy of Feb. OXM mag. It's a two disk issue, one is the beta of FF IX. The other is xbox/xbox 360 hybrid, which contain a demo of COD for the 360.
Old 01-09-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I'm fairly sure you can just pay the fee to Squaresoft to play FFXI and not pay for the Xbox live gold service unless you plan to play games through that. Seems fair enough to me.

A game like Guild wars would definitely do well on consoles though.
Old 01-10-06, 01:27 AM
Banned by request

Well, the only reason they have gold is so you can actually play other people, so I don't see why it would be different for FF. The silver accounts only let you get to the marketplace and download updates. You still have to pay to do multiplayer stuff. Now, if they allowed silver members to play with a fee, and gold members to play without a fee (since we're already paying for our multiplayer games), then that would be justified, imo.
Old 01-10-06, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like any other MMORPG Squaresoft maintains their own servers (far greater overhead than say EA's sports games which are mainly peer to peer) therefore they are entitled to collect their own payments from players. Now it used to be sucky with original xbox live as you had to pay for xbox live just to be able to connect to anything, and then pay the additional fee for the specific game (I think Phantasy Star Online was the main example of this). Now with Live Silver you don't have to pay for xbox live unless you actually plan to play the "free" online games available through the Live Gold package.

Anyone who thinks this is unjustified is an idiot IMO. Of course you are perfectly free to not play the game if you don't think the game is worth the subscription.
Old 01-13-06, 04:17 AM
Banned by request

Hey, I'm an idiot, awesome!

What galls me is that I'm already paying a fee to play the games online. Because, yes, I would actually like to play my other games through Xbox Live. So, in my mind, this should cover every game that comes out on the 360. If that means Microsoft has to make some deal with Square to help subsidize their servers, well, they have the money to be able to do that.

As I said, making silver members pay a fee seems justifiable to me. They're getting most of the live benefits without paying. Essentially, the one thing we gold members are paying for is the ability to play unlimited multiplayer games. So, if Square wants to offer silver members the ability to play at an extra fee, that's fine. It's pay-per-play, basically, and it makes sense. But to charge people who are already paying a fee, it's asking a bit much. It's adding in a middle man that shouldn't be there. Your gold membership should cover online-only games. That's the way I see it.

If Microsoft were smart, they would make it a big selling point that gold members pay no extra fees. That would get any FF fans sitting on the fence to join up. And then, once they've got Gold, they'll probably figure, "Well, better buy some more games to help justify this membership fee." That would be a win-win situation for everyone. It would also get people who were on the fence about FF XI to pick it up, since it's now just like buying any other game, which means more money for Square.
Old 01-13-06, 04:41 AM

Yeah, what suprmallet said.
Old 01-13-06, 06:52 AM
Defunct Account

While I hope that things work out in the way Suprmallet describes, I don't think they will.

It's like saying "I pay for cable TV, so I should get HBO and Playboy without paying extra." Just like the cable company does with their stations, XBox Live has never said (to my knowledge) that you could play every game without an extra fee.

It seems reasonable that when a company has extra costs, they pass those on to the comsumer. I guess the marketplace will ultimately decide if extra fees to play certain games is something that will fly.
Old 01-13-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
While I hope that things work out in the way Suprmallet describes, I don't think they will.

It's like saying "I pay for cable TV, so I should get HBO and Playboy without paying extra." Just like the cable company does with their stations, XBox Live has never said (to my knowledge) that you could play every game without an extra fee.

It seems reasonable that when a company has extra costs, they pass those on to the comsumer. I guess the marketplace will ultimately decide if extra fees to play certain games is something that will fly.

Yeah, what videophile said
Old 01-13-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PSO was $10 a month on top of Xbox Live fees so it's nothing new.
Old 01-13-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, I'm an idiot, awesome!

What galls me is that I'm already paying a fee to play the games online. Because, yes, I would actually like to play my other games through Xbox Live. So, in my mind, this should cover every game that comes out on the 360. If that means Microsoft has to make some deal with Square to help subsidize their servers, well, they have the money to be able to do that.
Heh well what you say is kind of reasonable.. just that in the end the money has to come from somewhere. And if I'm someone who isn't into mmorpgs I would hate to be subsidising mmorpg addicts (who often spend far greater time online) through a potentially much greater xbox live fee.

At least this time round if you're someone who's only into mmorpgs you're not forced to pay the additional xbox live gold fee. And similarly, if you only play sports games, you only need to pay for live and you're covered for all your gaming.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.