Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Furniture for your DVD collection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 05:18 PM
boe
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drawer Furniture for your DVD collection?

I was at CES and hoping to see some good furniture to store my DVD collection in. I didn't see anything that was very nice. I've seen tons of open racks and the like but what I'd really like is something more like a dresser for clothes. I did see some drawer units at CES but they were only one unit wide (jewel case only) and not deep at all. I don't want to have to go through 50 drawers to find my DVDs. I'd like something that can hold about 30-50 DVDs per drawer - 2 or three wide with the standard DVD case. Has anyone seen anything like that?

All the drawer units I saw at CES looked nice on the surface but were total crap - the drawers didn't even have gliding sliders - just wood against wood.

Last edited by boe; 01-08-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-07-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like what you are looking for...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=451160
Old 01-07-06, 06:18 PM
boe
Suspended

Thanks for the response! That is very similar in function to what I'm looking for however I forgot to mention I'm looking for something a little more like traditional wood furniture - that thing looks a little sterile like a filing cabinet.
Old 01-07-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over in that thread ed posted a link to:
http://www.wood-tech.com/product.php?cat=sw&series=cm

They sell wood cabinets with drawers on ball bearings. Still kinda pricey though.
Old 01-08-06, 12:26 AM
boe
Suspended

Thanks for the info. Holy crap - that looks worse than most particle wood products they try and dump on you at IKEA at an even more inflated price! I'd be willing to drop $400 for something that looked like something that didn't belong in a dorm room. I can't believe somebody doesn't sell anything that looks like real furniture at a reasonable price.

Last edited by boe; 01-08-06 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-08-06, 03:46 AM

You might want to see if there are custom furniture makers in your area. If you are in a fixed residence (you own it) they can probably install something very nice and built to your specifications that will actually end up being a good value considering it will built to your every specification.
Old 01-08-06, 07:55 AM

I find it really rewarding to build these things for myself, but I always focus (a lot) more on function than form.
Old 01-08-06, 08:48 AM
boe
Suspended

Yeah, custom built might be my only option. That can get pretty pricey. I might try going to a furniture store and see if they happen to have any dressers or night stands that happen to have the right sized drawers. I am using the drawers from my custom built night stand I had built about a dozen years ago but I'm out of space.
Old 01-08-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the same problem. I don't want anything wood grained though.

Did you see this? http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/...edia-tower.htm
Old 01-08-06, 09:44 AM

I just use a bookcase I found at a garage sale that this guy made in high school back in the 50's. It fits perfectly and it only cost me 10 bucks.
Old 01-08-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lucasorion
I find it really rewarding to build these things for myself, but I always focus (a lot) more on function than form.
Same here, but I can understand why some people wouldn't want their collection to have that 'on display' look. Personally I like walking over to my shelves so I can start combing for what I want.
Old 01-09-06, 10:20 AM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Same here, but I can understand why some people wouldn't want their collection to have that 'on display' look. Personally I like walking over to my shelves so I can start combing for what I want.
I'm trying to walk between the lines. Deep and wide drawers could let me view 50-75 DVDs at a time and since they are in alphabetical order it wouldn't take me too long to find one I want but at the same time I don't have my theatre room looking like I just got out of college. I can appreciate the ease of having them all out in the open but since I have a very small place, it would be more effective for me to have them stored in drawers.
Old 01-09-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried the drawer approach but didn't like it. I wanted to have my DVD's stored away (son is getting to an age when his friends are coming over more frequently, want to decrease temptation for sticky fingers) but I found it to be minor pain finding stuff (I have them alphabetically for the most part and I didn't like it when the alphabet was split between drawers, I'd usually look in a drawer only to find that it was in the next one down due to the split).

I eventually bought a couple of these:
http://www.storehouserock.com/store/OVS-0287.html

They take up very little space, look almost like real furniture and I can peruse all my titles by opening up the doors. Just make sure you move them where you want them before you stack them with dvd's. They are pretty heavy by themselves.
Old 01-09-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by freudguy
I eventually bought a couple of these:
http://www.storehouserock.com/store/OVS-0287.html

They take up very little space, look almost like real furniture and I can peruse all my titles by opening up the doors. Just make sure you move them where you want them before you stack them with dvd's. They are pretty heavy by themselves.
These look nice. Would the doors still open if you put two of these side by side? If not, how much space would you need between two units?
Old 01-09-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
These look nice. Would the doors still open if you put two of these side by side? If not, how much space would you need between two units?

Nope, they can't be side by side. Each one opens out to about 4 feet wide so you would need 8 feet of wall space, or just 7 if you just open one at a time. In other words, 2 feet between them, or just 1 if you only open one at a time.

BTW, I got the cherry and they look great.
Old 01-09-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Nope, they can't be side by side. Each one opens out to about 4 feet wide so you would need 8 feet of wall space, or just 7 if you just open one at a time. In other words, 2 feet between them, or just 1 if you only open one at a time.

Ok thanks. I found something similar at Sears here in Canada, exact same dimensions and holds the same number of DVD's.
Old 01-09-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcswirl
I just use a bookcase I found at a garage sale that this guy made in high school back in the 50's. It fits perfectly and it only cost me 10 bucks.
Oh?! Funny, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Where can I get one?
Old 01-09-06, 04:50 PM

I bought something similar to this at Costco 2 Christmas's ago.

It ended up working great, but was gone from the store quickly enough that I couldn't get a second one.
Old 01-10-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How many DVDs do you have?

My modular stereo cabinet has two drawers with dvds but I could have gotten as many as I wanted.

It's a bit pricey but I can find a link if you'd like.

I believe it's called Salamander.

edit to add:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/index.jsp

This is basically what it looks like but I have it connected to the stereo component cases and it doesn't have that space between them.

I didn't go with those feet.

Mine is similar to this with the two drawers on the bottom:

To the left I have two of the squarish looking ones like you see on the bottom w/a wide screen TV on top of those.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 01-10-06 at 01:40 AM.