Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Big Fat Independent Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this film it looks pretty funny. Here is a link to the official online team. http://mybigfatindependentmovie.fana.../?C1476_184168

Press Release

LOS ANGELES – "Scary Movie" did it to the Horror Film. "Not Another Teen Movie" did it to the, uh, Teen Movie. And now, it's time for Independents to get theirs in this hilarious spoof that takes the highbrow world of independent film to an all-new low . Anchor Bay Entertainment, an IDT Entertainment company, will release MY BIG FAT INDEPENDENT MOVIE on DVD January 24th . The two disc set is packed with extras including audio commentary with Director Philip Zlotorynski and Co-Writer /Producer Chris Gore, The Making of MBFIM Featurette, Theatrical Trailers and a Set of 7 Collectible Postcards. MBFIM will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.98.
Old 01-06-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I hope it's as good as that webcam film I heard about from some guy.
Old 01-07-06, 03:46 AM

Don't want to thread crap, but the movie is awful - just terribly unfunny. It played at the theater I work at for a week and there were only like two people for each show.
Old 01-08-06, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well in that case, I'll still check it out. It's spoofing some of my all-time favorite movies. So, even if it misses dozens of times and hits just once or twice, I'll be glad to have seen it for those one or two hearty laughs.

-JP
Old 01-27-06, 05:39 PM

I totally agree. Even if there is only one hilarious moment, which is unrealistic in my opinion, its still worth it to me. I totally dig it when flicks like this take on the new classics of cinema. I am getting it.
Old 01-29-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone seen this yet? I got it free at work and haven't watched it yet...is it worth my time?

= J
Old 01-29-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything titled MY BIG FAT ....(whatever) has already displayed that it's lacking originality.
Old 01-29-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Especially when the movie is a spoof of independent films, because then that title like, totally doesn't fit the genre or film at all..

-JP
Old 01-30-06, 01:02 AM
Banned

There's some unspoken irony in an independent movie spoofing it's own genre, and failing miserably. The "spoofs" were goofy, heavyhanded, and a lot of the time, just plain unfunny. When I caught at the end that it was made in part by Chris Cole, the host of IFC's "Ultimate Film Fanatic", which is a joke of a show in the first place, I literally laughed out loud. Mainly because this guy is representing the channel, and has no clue what he's doing with his own indie.

Using Paulie Shore in the film would have been funny had he not spoofed himself a year earlier. You can only go to that pitiful well once.
Old 01-31-06, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
There's some unspoken irony in an independent movie spoofing it's own genre, and failing miserably. The "spoofs" were goofy, heavyhanded, and a lot of the time, just plain unfunny. When I caught at the end that it was made in part by Chris Cole, the host of IFC's "Ultimate Film Fanatic", which is a joke of a show in the first place, I literally laughed out loud. Mainly because this guy is representing the channel, and has no clue what he's doing with his own indie.

Using Paulie Shore in the film would have been funny had he not spoofed himself a year earlier. You can only go to that pitiful well once.
But, dont you see, that was the point. They had to be heavy handed otherwise the Art House croud would have taken it as a serious comedy. It isnt. It is a SPOOF. Now, the personal attack on Cole is unwarranted. Why would you watch his show and then take him apart over a flick he went out on a limb for?
Old 01-31-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, in order for a spoof to not be taken as a serious comedy by the Art House crowd, it can't be funny?
Old 02-01-06, 12:36 AM

Is that sarcasm? I can never tell. No. I thought it was funny. Any movie that takes off on indie flicks and has a midget orgy scene is funny. I like the flick. I like the content and the commentary. I think its a blast.
Old 02-01-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cinemaddiction said the spoofs were goofy, heavyhanded and a lot of the time unfunny.

You said in reply that that was the point (probably referring only to the goofy, heavyhanded part, but still...).

I was only able to make it about thirty minutes into the movie before I turned it off. If I'm 1/3rd of the way through a movie that's ostensibly a comedy and I haven't even managed a minor chuckle, I often can't be bothered to finish the rest.

For all I know, it got incredibly hilarious after that, but judging by the first 30 minutes alone, it wasn't my cup of tea. Spoofs are pretty hit-and-miss with me in general.