DVD Talk
The Book of Daniel - 01/06/06 **2-hour Series Premiere** [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Book of Daniel - 01/06/06 **2-hour Series Premiere**

B.A.
01-06-06, 08:15 AM
"Temptation and Forgiveness"

Reverend Daniel Webster's daughter Grace is arrested for possession of marijuana; an embarrassed Judith confronts Daniel about discussing the couple's personal sex life during his counseling sessions.

Cast: Aidan Quinn, Ellen Burstyn, Dylan Baker, Christian Campbell, Alison Pill, Ivan Shaw, Susanna Thompson, Garret Dillahunt.
Producer(s): Jack Kenny, Flody Suarez .

Original Airdate: January 6, 2006.

The Book of Daniel (http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_Of_Daniel/)

I am a fan of Aidan Quinn, so I have been looking forward to this for some reason.

Pointyskull
01-06-06, 08:38 AM
I wonder if this show will lean more towards "warm and fuzzy" or "quirky and controversial".

I'm not looking for a quirky show that reinforces religion with the occasional oddball character, but I would be more likely to embrace one that has the balls to boldly question things without resorting to cheesey TV-typical depictions of faith. Maybe it's because I'm an atheist and it's network television, but I have a feeling it will ultimately play things safe rather than daring.

Still, I'm very curious about this one.

Snowmaker
01-06-06, 08:42 AM
So, from the previews, it looks like the man of many faces from Deadwood is now playing Jesus.

rfduncan
01-06-06, 08:51 AM
I'm not looking for a quirky show that reinforces religion with the occasional oddball character, but I would be more likely to embrace one that has the balls to boldly question things without resorting to cheesey TV-typical depictions of faith. Maybe it's because I'm an atheist and it's network television, but I have a feeling it will ultimately play things safe rather than daring.
It is billed as Drama/Comedy so who knows. But it does have a pretty stellar cast - Ellen Burstyn, Adain Quinn, Christian Campbell (Neve's brother from Trick playing Quinn's gay son), Garret Dillahunt.

This show is already being rampantly protested at the midwest NBC affiliates by the American Family Association (AFA). A priest hooked on painkillers with his wife drinking too much, his daughter selling drugs and a gay son? I'm SO there.

Pointyskull
01-06-06, 08:57 AM
This show is already being rampantly protested at the midwest NBC affiliates by the American Family Association (AFA). A priest hooked on painkillers with his wife drinking too much, his daughter selling drugs and a gay son? I'm SO there.

Yep, those are selling points for me, as well. Time to set the Tivo, I guess.

Y2K Falcon
01-06-06, 09:12 AM
This show is already being rampantly protested at the midwest NBC affiliates by the American Family Association (AFA).
At least one affiliate is taking the opportunity to air something else instead. There's an article floating around.

EDIT: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060106/ENTERTAINMENT05/601060439/1005/ENTERTAINMENT

The Bus
01-06-06, 09:14 AM
Thanks for reminding me to put it on my DVR...!

silentbob007
01-06-06, 09:16 AM
A priest hooked on painkillers with his wife drinking too much, his daughter selling drugs and a gay son? I'm SO there.

Hmmm ... sounds like to me it is already trying too hard to be edgy.

B.A.
01-06-06, 10:06 AM
Critic's TV picks: "Book of Daniel"
By Gail Pennington
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Friday, Jan. 06 2006

"Book of Daniel"

8 p.m. on NBC (Channel 5)

Daniel Webster (Aidan Quinn) pops pills to distract himself from the fact that
his family is the most messed-up bunch since the Ewings.

Daniel's wife (Susannah Thompson) drinks more than a bit.

Their daughter (Alison Pill) has just been busted for selling pot. Their son
(Christian Campbell) is in the closet.

And, especially awkward for Daniel, an Episcopal minister, his brother-in-law
has run off with big bucks from the church's building fund.

Luckily, Daniel has someone to lean on: Jesus. Daniel doesn't necessarily call
on the son of God for help, but Christ (Garret Dillahunt) is there for him,
riding around in his car and offering advice that Daniel sorely needs,
especially with his mother suffering from Alzheimer's and his father (James
Rebhorn) getting cozy with the bishop (Ellen Burstyn, seemingly born to wear a
clerical collar).

By this point, if you're not intrigued, there's a chance you're frantically
looking up NBC's number to phone in a protest. But although the plot
description of the two-hour opener is over-the-top outrageous - probably
necessary to draw attention to a series making its debut in the Friday night
wasteland - "Book of Daniel" itself shapes up as a well-crafted and even
good-hearted prime-time soap about a man of God trying to do his best while
enduring the trials of a contemporary Job.

For open-minded adult viewers bored with Friday night television, "Daniel"
could be the answer to prayers.

dadaluholla
01-06-06, 10:35 AM
This just sounds like Rescue Me without the firefighters.
:)

Dan G
01-06-06, 11:24 AM
This show won't be airing in Terre Haute, IN or Little Rock, Arkansas.

Tscott
01-06-06, 12:23 PM
This just sounds like Rescue Me without the firefighters.
:)I'm thinking Rescue Me meets 7th Heaven.

The local NBC news was featuring this show in its broadcast last night, talking about how local religious officials were shown advance screenings by our local affiliate to see if it should be pulled from the air. They decided not to pull it (which kind of surprised me since it took NYPD Blue winning a bunch of Emmys before an episode of that show ever aired in our area).

DRG
01-06-06, 01:07 PM
I'm getting a 'Desperate Housewives' tone from the ads, but that may just be the marketing team's spin. Still, I'm interested enough to check it out.

pinata242
01-06-06, 01:15 PM

Here's the article regarding the IN NBC affliate: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/ENTERTAINMENT/601050485

My favorite part has to be this quote
"I will not allow [the network] to make unilateral decisions affecting our viewers," [WTWO's general manager] said. "If my action causes people in our community to pay more attention to what they watch on television, I have accomplished my mission."

If that isn't the very definition of hypocracy, I don't know what is. Also, people can't "pay more attention to what they watch on television" if they don't have the choice.

Eddie W
01-06-06, 02:02 PM
Wow, I hadn't even heard of this show. Now thanks to the protests, I'm looking forward to watching.

Thanks to the AFA for the heads up on something that would have flown completely under my radar!

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
01-06-06, 02:19 PM
show doesnt interest me

Pistol Pete
01-06-06, 02:46 PM
Sounds awesome! Now if they would only change him to a Baptist minister...

wildcatlh
01-06-06, 03:14 PM
Here's the article regarding the IN NBC affliate: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/ENTERTAINMENT/601050485

My favorite part has to be this quote

If that isn't the very definition of hypocracy, I don't know what is. Also, people can't "pay more attention to what they watch on television" if they don't have the choice.

The station manager "amended" his quote, and now it's even worse...

WTWO Station General Manager Duane Lammers today [January 6] has issued a revised statement regarding WTWO`s decision to preempt the NBC show "The Book of Daniel".

"After reading and hearing much of the reporting on my decision to pre-empt "The Book of Daniel", let me update my comments as follows:

"My first obligation to my station is to protect the license granted by the FCC. Current regulations could subject this station to severe punishment, up to and including revocation of our license if even a single person's objection to the FCC found material broadcast by our station to be indecent or obscene. Subsequent viewing of the material within "The Book of Daniel" leaves me no choice but to do my job and uphold the standards of our community."

big whoppa
01-06-06, 03:26 PM
Good actors in Aiden Quinn, Christian Campbell, and Ellen Burstyn. Sounds good.

Dead
01-06-06, 05:43 PM

Another article said that it would be aired in Little Rock, but on another network (maybe WB?).

beencrazier
01-06-06, 06:33 PM

Being from Terre Haute, I can assure you that many people are relieved that the meth-makers aren't taking a break to watch this show (seriously, Terre Haute has been called the "meth" headquarters of the midwest). Watching a show about a priest with problems may encourage people to....well.... I don't know. Maybe they'll play a nice family oriented "R" rated film instead.

I had no interest in watching this... however, now that I can't I want to watch it. What am I missing..... the alcohol, the pill-popping, the POT?!?!? Someone please spoil the show for me after it's over. I may just have to move.

BravesMG
01-06-06, 06:34 PM
Hmmm ... sounds like to me it is already trying too hard to be edgy.

Totally agree, sounds like hype.

leepyswetr
01-06-06, 10:11 PM
This show is terrible.

MrX
01-06-06, 10:55 PM
The first hour felt like two hours by itself.

It can't figure out if it wants to be funny or serious and it doesn't do either particularly well.

B.A.
01-06-06, 10:59 PM
I liked it. Dillahunt plays an awesome Christ.

And I think one of my favorite parts was the fact that his relationship w/ Father Frank pissed almost everyone off - they need to make sure Hedaya's character pops up every now and again.

Snowmaker
01-06-06, 11:01 PM
Not bad. I'll tune in next week.

I don't understand what all the controversy and protest was about though.

redrum
01-06-06, 11:04 PM
i liked it.

calhoun07
01-06-06, 11:53 PM
Not bad. I'll tune in next week.

I don't understand what all the controversy and protest was about though.

To get ratings.

I only watched the first hour as I didn't want to miss BSG, but I will probably watch this next week.

Giles
01-07-06, 12:15 AM
This show is terrible.

The Washington Post also thought so.

solipsta
01-07-06, 04:36 AM
I enjoyed it, though 2 hours was a bit much. I'll definitely check it out next week...

Arcade
01-07-06, 12:52 PM
This show did not air in Beaumont, TX.
KBTV decided to pull it because of calls to the station.
Though if it is as bad as some of the reviews I did not miss much.

Cusm
01-07-06, 05:10 PM
Are they reshowing this? I caught the 1st hour, but missed the 2nd due to BSG and Numb3rs. I liked the 1st hour and if it is in the 8/9 slot I will add it to the DVR.

MrX
01-07-06, 05:12 PM
It's regular time is up against BSG and Numb3rs.

SteelWill
01-07-06, 08:15 PM
I liked the show.

Cusm
01-08-06, 12:14 AM
It's regular time is up against BSG and Numb3rs.

Oh well I may have enjoyed it. I know I could always get the later showing of BSG, but it is one of my don't miss shows and I usually watch it live. It will also be opposite Monk as well, bad NBC!

Bronkster
01-08-06, 12:20 AM
I got curious because of the protest stuff, and probably would've not even given it a glance otherwise - but having just watched it, I enjoyed it enough to add it to my DVR schedule. The only complaint I might have isn't really a complaint, but just that it (as all new shows do) had that "gotta cram in stuff and over-explain it because we're new" feel. With that in mind, the 2nd hour felt better.

SMB-IL
01-08-06, 11:20 AM
It felt like 2 one hour episodes slapped together to form a two hour premiere, but I liked it and will continue watching. I want to e-mail the AFA and thank them for putting this show on my radar, but their server seems to be down. Awwww!

I can't believe that in 2006, a local affiliate assumes that it's OK to pull a network show because of their narrow-minded, backward views -- as if they KNOW that the MAJORITY of people in their viewing area don't want this show broadcast. I guess now it's "don't get up, we'll change the channel for you." Wow.

marty888
01-08-06, 12:27 PM
It felt like 2 one hour episodes slapped together to form a two hour premiere...

That's basically what it was - the credits showed two different episode titles, and listed two different directors.

The solid cast goes a long way towards making this worth watching. Hopefully now that we have been "introduced" to the main characters and their soap-opera flaws, the show will settle down.

Patman
01-09-06, 01:06 AM
I finally figured out that Susanna Thompson (Judith) used to be on "Once and Again", playing the ex-wife of Rick (Billy Campbell's character). That was bugging while I was watching this show until I passed out at the start of the 2nd hour.

Chew
01-09-06, 07:34 AM
I finally figured out that Susanna Thompson (Judith) used to be on "Once and Again", playing the ex-wife of Rick (Billy Campbell's character). That was bugging while I was watching this show until I passed out at the start of the 2nd hour.

Actually, this is the way I remember her:

http://www.visimag.com/culttimes/images/cs17_cont_borgq.jpg

It was an interesting 2 hours, I'll give it a few more chances.

rkndkn
01-09-06, 01:13 PM
I liked it a lot. A blurb in the paper said it was a limited 8-episode series -- don't know if that means for this season and ratings could mean a renewal.

das Monkey
01-09-06, 01:23 PM
Patman

:lol: I had the same thing. It took me almost an hour to figure it out.

Overall, I liked it. I think there may be too many plot threads, but I like the basic concept, and Dillahunt was great.

das

flashburn
01-09-06, 11:18 PM
I also liked this show a lot. Was much better than I thought it was going to be. Hope it turns out to be more than just 8 episodes long.