Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

More News On Xbox 360's Online Arcade(Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marketplace Street Fighter II Gets Hyper
Written by Jason Dobson
As an addendum to our earlier story regarding Street Fighter II being available for download over the Xbox Live Marketplace in March, Capcom today clarified that the version of the series to be offered will be the Hyper Fighting edition. In addition to several offline modes and numerous leaderboards and achievements, the game takes advantage of the new online features of Xbox 360. Among several online game options is an exclusive mode called Quarter Match, which introduces a new way of reliving the arcade experience at home. Here you can place a virtual quarter on a match in order to lay claim to the next spot in line against the reigning champion. While players wait they will be able to watch the match in spectator mode. This mode will also support voice chat as well. Competitors can highlight each other's quarters to check out their gamer tag data or add them as friends, and before entering the game lobby, users can choose either the competitive or casual option which determines whether stats are tracked or not. Excitement. Growing.

360 users can connect to Xbox Live and access Xbox Live Arcade to download a free, feature-limited version of the game which offers two playable characters for one match. The full version will feature all eight original characters as well as the four boss fighters. Sure, I would have preferred a version with the New Warriors like Cammy, but this is still hot stuff.

"We are extremely excited to partner with Capcom on Xbox Live Arcade," said Greg Canessa, Group Manager of Xbox Live Arcade at Microsoft. "Street Fighter is one of the most recognized and successful game franchises in history and it is an absolute honor to bring the arcade classic Street Fighter II’ Hyper Fighting to Xbox 360 users across the globe. Offering this flagship title in Xbox Live Arcade and imbuing it with full Xbox Live support is the answer to many gamers’ dreams, including mine."

Thanks to Etoychest for the info!
Old 01-05-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every.. single.. iteration of this series.. online.. except.. Alpha.

ARRRGHHH!!

Old 01-05-06, 05:55 PM
Banned

Boo, i was hoping it would be Championship Edition. I hated hyper =(
Old 01-05-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's under $5 I would probably buy it.
Old 01-05-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this is a step in the right direction with Capcom. Hyper was arguably the best of the SF2 series in terms of balance. If this goes well who knows what else may come.

I love the Alpha series too. It would be great if they brought A2 and A3 to the live experience. I just love the whole spectator/quarter aspect of it. That's what was so great about vs games in the early 90's. Winner stays, loser pays.

You can play Hyper SF2 right now on XBL but the game is very imbalanced. I wish Capcom had included a game pack that had all the games in their own individual sections with online options instead of just jumbling them all together.

I think it's a great step in the right direction. I guess Capcom finally took notes on what Tecmo was doing with their DOA series online
Old 01-05-06, 07:01 PM

Awesome news. It better not be more than $10 though.
Old 01-05-06, 08:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Considering it's available over Xbox Live Marketplace, it won't be any dollars at all, it will be points. And I will be downloading it.
Old 01-05-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Considering it's available over Xbox Live Marketplace, it won't be any dollars at all, it will be points. And I will be downloading it.
Of course, and those are magical points that fall from the sky from the gods of Microsoft.
Old 01-05-06, 11:35 PM

I am predicting that this will be the first $20 Marketplace game.
Old 01-06-06, 12:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Of course, and those are magical points that fall from the sky from the gods of Microsoft.
Wait, what? No, that makes no sense. Points are not magical, and there are no gods of Microsoft. Man, I'm confused.

Oh, wait, it must be sarcasm! Now I get it.

Here's the thing, points don't correlate to dollars at a constant rate. You can buy them from your dashboard for one price, and then buy them on cards for another. Also, if you have any coupons or discounts, then the price of a card goes down. So you can't so that so many points equals one dollar, because they will only equal a dollar in one instance, either from the dashboard, or cards.
Old 01-06-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SF2THF is the best Street Fighter ever made in terms of balance and versus gamepay.
Old 01-06-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Leechboy
I am predicting that this will be the first $20 Marketplace game.
Isn't Bankshot Billiards 2 1600 pts? If you buy Marketplace points in a store, doesn't 1600 pts retail for $20?

I hope it doesn't cost that much, or that there's some sort of promotion to get it cheaper/free.
Old 01-06-06, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by eatntae
Isn't Bankshot Billiards 2 1600 pts? If you buy Marketplace points in a store, doesn't 1600 pts retail for $20?

I hope it doesn't cost that much, or that there's some sort of promotion to get it cheaper/free.
I think Bankshot is 1200 points.

Geometry Wars for 400 points is the best deal ever. I refuse to pay more than 400 points for any game.

Having 1200 points sitting in my account is really tempting though.
Old 01-06-06, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Every.. single.. iteration of this series.. online.. except.. Alpha.

ARRRGHHH!!

I know how you feel, Alpha is sorely overlooked, Alpha 3 is one of three reasons Im holding onto my PSP. Does this help at all?
Old 01-06-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wait, what? No, that makes no sense. Points are not magical, and there are no gods of Microsoft. Man, I'm confused.

Oh, wait, it must be sarcasm! Now I get it.

Here's the thing, points don't correlate to dollars at a constant rate. You can buy them from your dashboard for one price, and then buy them on cards for another. Also, if you have any coupons or discounts, then the price of a card goes down. So you can't so that so many points equals one dollar, because they will only equal a dollar in one instance, either from the dashboard, or cards.
That's exactly what Microsoft had in mind, a separation of points and actual monetary value. I prefer to do the math and convert everything on Live Marketplace to a dollar value (based on the online points purchase price).
Old 01-06-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Leechboy
I think Bankshot is 1200 points.

Geometry Wars for 400 points is the best deal ever. I refuse to pay more than 400 points for any game.

Having 1200 points sitting in my account is really tempting though.
Ah, I wasn't sure of Bankshots cost, since it came for free with the 12-month Xbox Live kit.
Old 01-06-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it was smart by MS to do points. People will spend 400 points before spending $5. I know, it's crazy, but it works. I actually have 4800 points sitting in my account and I'm hesitant to spend them. I may get GeoWars or Wik. But I want to wait for bigger and better games...I know, craazy.
Old 01-06-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll jump into the "why couldn't it be alpha" camp.

These days I just can't play Street Fighter without an air block.
Old 01-06-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wish it had the Super Street Fighter characters.