Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is 92.3 K-Rock dead? (New York radio station)

OldBoy
01-04-06, 03:55 PM
All I hear is talk radio on it now and I am very upset. It was the only alt. rock station in the tri-state.

Anyone know if it is defunct and if so if there is another station that used to be it?

GuessWho
01-04-06, 04:05 PM
Like many stations across the US, it's now "Free FM"

OldBoy
01-04-06, 04:28 PM
Like many stations across the US, it's now "Free FM"
i've heard them say that, but what the hell does that mean? this is simply no good. i cried when they took my favorite all-time station X-107 off and it went country and now this? at least this time i have satellite, but it isn't the same.

this is a sad day in the music industry!

GuessWho
01-04-06, 04:46 PM
i've heard them say that, but what the hell does that mean?

I believe it's considered "personality radio"

When mega corporations (CBS in the Free FM case) own several stations all across the country, they're able to give a single brand name to their stations in every city.

And that's why many cities now have a "Free FM" and a "Jack"

OldBoy
01-04-06, 05:31 PM
which means no more music and then i don't give a sh**! i need to find another alternative. this is bad in so many ways.

digitalfreaknyc
01-04-06, 05:32 PM
Welcome to NYC radio.

They're all dying.

It's amazing that I can go home to CT and get more of a variety of music than in this city.

OldBoy
01-04-06, 05:49 PM
Welcome to NYC radio.

They're all dying.

It's amazing that I can go home to CT and get more of a variety of music than in this city.
i used to live in stamford and all i had there was k-rock.
so is there nothing else on fm that plays new alt. rock like k-rock did?

nodeerforamonth
01-04-06, 05:58 PM
Amazing that they call it "free" when you're practically not allowed to say anything! (maybe Howard was the only one not allowed to say anything because that one person complained).

They must mean "free" as in referring to the cost of it.

How's DLR's show? I hear it's not too good, but he's only been on the air for 2 days now! Any new talent would need a couple years to really get going.

Tommy Ceez
01-04-06, 06:21 PM
i've heard them say that, but what the hell does that mean? this is simply no good. i cried when they took my favorite all-time station X-107 off and it went country and now this? at least this time i have satellite, but it isn't the same.

this is a sad day in the music industry!

Wrong...had commercial radio been allowed to continue to butcher the music industry, it would be a sad day, but since everyone in NYC has to basically get sattelite radio, this is a VERY GOOD day for music

Jackskeleton
01-04-06, 06:53 PM
yeah. I'm glad music is getting phased out. It was the same clear channel play list anyways.

The Radio industry really changed on monday/tuesday. Get used to it.

Ghostface180
01-04-06, 07:52 PM
Its going to be talk radio during the week, and music on the weekends. I don't know what genre though. There was just an article in the local newspaper about the changing format of the station, and how New York area just lost its only "new rock" station.

Jazzbutcher
01-04-06, 09:04 PM
NYers:
I highly recommend a move to 107.1 "The Peak" in Briarcliff Manor (coincidentally the location of one of Stern's first jobs)for your listening pleasure. Check out the stream at http://www.1071thepeak.com. Not as hard as K-rock but they have tremendous programming. They go deep into CDs to pull out the good stuff.

Example from the other day that comes to mind:
Regatta de Blanc: typical cut would be Message in a Bottle, which everyone is sick of by now. They played The Bed's Too Big Without You. :up:

WFUV ain't bad either.

Southside
01-05-06, 12:59 AM
i say give grock radio (lame name) grockradio.com a listen. i get it on 106.3 fm here, but you can stream them also at their website. it's a new jersey alternative (rock) station.

raven56706
01-05-06, 03:14 PM
NYC has lost rock radio...

Welcome to the new radio.... DLR is hot in the mornings(Yeah okk... his crap is horrible)

tommy28
01-07-06, 08:34 AM
goodbye FM,

hello satellite radio.....

Tommy Ceez
01-07-06, 07:44 PM
First of all, before K-Rock switched to new rock and before Q104 there was no new rock station in NY..wnew and krock were classic rock, and Wdre on LI was alternative, but it was hard to get the signal...this is not the first time