Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony KFE50A10: I'm about to buy one.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone wanna talk me out of it?

There's not much on the web regarding this model (well, not much that doesn't read like it was written by Sony sales staff) and I'd love to know in advance just how much of a lemon it may be.
Old 01-04-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The recent Grand Wegas have been pretty nice, if not cheap. A couple observations:

Appears to have an audio input related to the HDMI input, good if there are syncing issues as is common with HDMI.

Can't find a refresh rate, but from what I've seen of recent GWs, they are good. (relates to blurring of action)

It would be nice to find history of this or similar models for lamp life. I don't think GWs have had problems.

Appears to have some controls related to preventing burn-in. Since it can't have burn-in being an LCD, seems strange.

With any 3-LCD projector, the first thing to do is check the convergence. This cannot be adjusted by anyone (like it can in CRT models), so if it is off replace it immediately.
Old 01-04-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
With any 3-LCD projector, the first thing to do is check the convergence. This cannot be adjusted by anyone (like it can in CRT models), so if it is off replace it immediately.
Aren't I gonna have to have someone come in and calibrate it anyway? (I just assume it ain't gonna be good enough right out of the box.....)
Old 01-05-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They can't adjust them, either. The 3 panels must be fixed in place, not like CRT guns that have some movement. So if it is wrong, it needs serious repair, and replacement would be better for you.

I mean, less than 1% ought to have this issue. But it's something to check specific to this technology.
Old 01-05-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My parents have the 42" model and it's the cats ass. HD is awsome on it.
Old 01-05-06, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by wergo
Anyone wanna talk me out of it?

There's not much on the web regarding this model (well, not much that doesn't read like it was written by Sony sales staff) and I'd love to know in advance just how much of a lemon it may be.
Seems that the model your looking at is a Canadian Sony and the US Sony version is KDF-E50A10, which I looked.

I've heard nothing but good things about that model from one of my friends; his dad has one. And the 56" version was something that I ALMOST bought. The sale price expired for the Sony and I was SOL, but then I saw another TV that I thought was out of my price range go on sale (I purchased the 56" JVC but here's the 52" version) JVC 52" HD-ILA Rear Projection TV HD-52G786.

The Sony LCD from what I've read tend to be overly bright and do not show black well in rooms that are dark. I tend to watch my TV in low lighting levels and enjoy deep blacks in my TV viewing.

The Sony seems to be a crowd favorite and has lots of good reviews, but I personally wouldn't trade my JVC for a Sony now. Just head over to BestBuy and take a look at both of them (both are on sale with the Sony being $200 cheaper) because in the end you're viewing pleasure is all that counts.

Last edited by oldone; 01-05-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by oldone
Seems that the model your looking at is a Canadian Sony and the US Sony version is KDF-E50A10, which I looked.

I've heard nothing but good things about that model from one of my friends; his dad has one. And the 56" version was something that I ALMOST bought. The sale price expired for the Sony and I was SOL, but then I saw another TV that I thought was out of my price range go on sale (I purchased the 56" JVC but here's the 52" version) JVC 52" HD-ILA Rear Projection TV HD-52G786.

The Sony LCD from what I've read tend to be overly bright and do not show black well in rooms that are dark. I tend to watch my TV in low lighting levels and enjoy deep blacks in my TV viewing.

The Sony seems to be a crowd favorite and has lots of good reviews, but I personally wouldn't trade my JVC for a Sony now. Just head over to BestBuy and take a look at both of them (both are on sale with the Sony being $200 cheaper) because in the end you're viewing pleasure is all that counts.
A couple of clarifications: The A10 does not come in a 56" version (only 42" and 50"). You must be thinking of the A20 which is an entirely different model and does not have the dynamic iris. The new dynamic iris greatly helps the black level issue you were referring to and makes it one of the best bang for the buck TVs available. No RPLCD will match a CRT for black level, but this definitely is an improvement. It also has the speakers on the bottom which makes it a better fit for many stands and entertainment centers. I have the 42" A10 and while it doesn't beat my calibrated 65" Mits RPCRT, it was a great choice for the size room and location I put it into it.
Old 01-07-06, 02:44 PM

I have the 42" A10 and it's great. Price wise, you can't do much better.

There's a massive thread over at AVS if you want to read up on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=562185
Old 01-23-06, 01:35 PM

The KDFE50A10 is available in Canada. The only difference between the KDFE and the KFE is that the KDFE has a built in HD receiver which, in my case, is pointless if you already have an HD Cable Box.

Have only owned the KFE50A10 for about a week but so far no complaints at all.

Originally Posted by oldone

Old 01-27-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I have a 50 inch A10. very nice. no problems at all. DVD from the Oppo dvd player (via DVI->HDMI cable) look almost like HiDef.