Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My "I've never seen Seinfeld" review thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My "I've never seen Seinfeld" review thread

I figure this will be pretty similar to the Buffy and Angel threads in a lot of ways (never seen the show, have a irrational dislike of it), but not so similar in other ways.

So I admit it: before last night I had never seen a complete episode of Seinfeld. Yes, it's true, people like us do exist.

Why have I not watched it? I guess I just never really cared for any of the characters. I found them all annoying. The few minutes I caught from here and there just didn't grab me either.

What changed? Watching and enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm.

So I hoping this thread will present my thoughts on each episode as I watch them and hopefully those fans out there can tell me where I'm wrong and what I'm really missing.

Pilot -- I'm not sure I can really make too many comments on the first episode based on how much different the second one was already. But, everything just feels acted out and forced here mainly because they're "finding" the characters. The lack of a good female role (no Elaine yet) left a blank spot too. Episode laugh meter = One (the dog going for his drink in Jerry's bathroom)

Male Unbonding -- Already things have changed: the apartment, the music, and the whole production all feel improved. Despite having said that Episode laugh meter = zero.

As stated earlier, it's going to take a while to get over the intense dislike of these characters (especially George and Kramer) before any of the comedy is actually going to work for me. I hope my mind is open enough for it. But, I'm not going to work my way through the entire series if I can't get over that.

Flame-suit on
Old 01-04-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Flame-suit on
I'm just surprised you own a DVD player. Did you just get electricity at the rock you live under?

Seriously, hope you enjoy it. You may, however, find you are in little company with this one... the show is in syndication EVERYWHERE (much like Friends was). The 1st season is rougher going IMO than by S3 & S4 when the series clearly hits its stride.

Your expressed "intense dislike" is supposed to be validated every time by the fact that none of these guys gets away with anything. They ultimately always lose for their bad behavior.
Old 01-04-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I'm just surprised you own a DVD player. Did you just get electricity at the rock you live under?

Seriously though. I never realized how much Larry David there is in George's character. I loved Seinfeld before I saw Curb. When I watch Seinfeld now after I've seen Curb, I think he character is funnier.
I've just started watching my dvd sets even though I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode. The first couple of seasons are a little rough, but it does get better. Promise.
Old 01-04-06, 10:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This ones tough. For fans of Seinfeld (and yup theres alot of us out there) it just seems a given that everyone should love it. Buuuut if you are going into it with a dislike for the characters that may prove a difficult hurdle to overcome. I agree with the previous poster....it gets better as it goes along. Hang in there. The shows writing is top notch.

Of course i know where you are comming from...i was chastized recently when i mentioned that ive never seen 5min of 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.
Old 01-04-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Start at the end and go backward. Seinfeld got better every year. I'm a big Seinfeld fan and I can't even watch the first 10 or so episodes because they weren't very good.
Old 01-04-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd probably start with season 3. That is where things really start getting good. From there on it's all gold Jerry!! Gold!!
Old 01-04-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen about a dozen episodes of the show, scattered throughout the seasons. And I just don't see the funny. Stupid and childish at times, yes. But funny? No.

I just don't see it.

Then again, I don't find Family Guy funny either.
Old 01-04-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
I've seen about a dozen episodes of the show, scattered throughout the seasons. And I just don't see the funny. Stupid and childish at times, yes. But funny? No.

I just don't see it.

Then again, I don't find Family Guy funny either.

You must be great at parties.
Old 01-04-06, 11:21 AM
Cool New Member

Hey, a while back I hadn't seen any Seinfeld episodes either. My friend let me borrow his Seasons 1, 2 and 3 DVDs and I didn't find myself laughing too much either. The only one I remember really liking was the "The Massage" and Kramer's storyline about Joe DiMaggio at the coffee shop. At the end of the episode when Kramer starts hitting the table to get his attention always makes me laugh. Suffice to say I may not have enjoyed all the episodes but I found out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I agree the characters aren't very likeable. Mainly because their faults are showcased in most episodes and are the basis for the comedy. But they've grown on me. I still can't call myself a Seinfeld fan, nor do I feel that I am but as soon as my friend lets me borrow 4, 5 and 6 I just might be among your ranks.

Also, everyone says it gets better and better and I recently started watching the syndication episodes. I caught "The Marine Biologist" which I think is universally agreed on as a really great episode. I didn't laugh throughout the episode but I did find the ending (which I won't ruin) able to put a smile on my face. It is a great piece of writing even if it didn't make me laugh.

And (I know this is long) another thing, can someone explain to me why "The Pen" is such a great episode. I didn't find it funny and the Notes About Nothing list it as one of the creator's favourites. Maybe I don't get it cuz I've never been to one of those Californian condos but even my friends who are the same age find it funny. I just don't get it.

And finally, I cringed during a couple of episodes whenever there is a misunderstanding in an episode and instead of CLEARLY explaining the situation and trying to fix the misunderstanding, a character repeats the sentence they said that CAUSED the misunderstanding. It just seems like common sense.

For example, in an episode that I can't remember the name of, Kramer tells George that when he goes to the store to get new glasses, that he should mention Kramer's name to get a discount. George walks to the store clerk and says "I know Kramer". The store clerk looks at him confused and proceeds to charge him full price. Instead of George saying "Kramer told me if I mentioned his name, you would give me a discount" George just says, "AHEM, I know Kramer". It just seems like common sense to explain what you meant instead of repeating the same confusing statement. Some people may find this blatant stupidity funny but when the character is shown as being a moderately intelligent man, it just comes off as annoying and makes you dislike the character when he displays such a high level of stupidity.

In closing. Seinfeld is ok in my book but I don't understand why it's so loved. It's overrated in my opinion. Sorry for taking up so much space, I just had to get this out.
Old 01-04-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
(never seen the show, have a irrational dislike of it)

So I admit it: before last night I had never seen a complete episode of Seinfeld.
How can you have an "irrational dislike" of a show you have never seen?

Anyway, you aren't supposed to like the characters. They are all self-centered, pretentious snobs who are shallow in every aspect of their characters. You know, typical New Yorkers. Not your ordinary sitcom cutouts. You are supposed to dislike George. He makes you cringe like watching Larry David in awkward situations on Curb.

1 & 2 have their moments, but nothing like what follows them. Season 3 & 4 are the high points. After watching 5 & 6 again it seems they figured they could get away with anything so plots did get silly and over-the-top occasionally, but they are still funny nevertheless. Speaking of, S6 reminded me of Arrested Development. There seemed to be at least one if not more call backs to previous characters, plots or situations in every episode.
Old 01-04-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How can you have an "irrational dislike" of a show you have never seen?
That's why it's irrational.
Old 01-04-06, 12:07 PM

I did not like early episodes Kramer. He was not funny in the least.

I've never seen but a few minutes of Curb..if that ...and have no desire to do so.

So I know where the OP stands.
Old 01-04-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfway Crook
Some people may find this blatant stupidity funny but when the character is shown as being a moderately intelligent man, it just comes off as annoying and makes you dislike the character when he displays such a high level of stupidity.
George isn't moderately intelligent. He is an idiot in every way imaginable.

One thing that is funny about Seinfeld and makes it great is that they say and do the things that we want to say and do, but can't get away with. I can't think of how many times I have wanted to pop under my desk in the middle of the day and take a nap.
Old 01-04-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I admit it: before last night I had never seen a complete episode of Seinfeld. Yes, it's true, people like us do exist.
Yes you exist, but you cannot truly live until you have supped at the divine table of Seinfeld.

Do you live in a Bubble, Boy? (you'll get that joke in later seasons)
Old 01-04-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Start at the end and go backward. Seinfeld got better every year. I'm a big Seinfeld fan and I can't even watch the first 10 or so episodes because they weren't very good.

Im a diehard Seinfeld fan but i don't really care for the last 2 or 3 seasons much at all. There's way to much slapstick and stupid farfetched plotlines. The first 10 episodes aren't as good as some of the later seasons but i still think they are pretty funny.
Old 01-04-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Eh, you're not alone.

I've probably seen 25 or so episodes of "Seinfeld" over the years and I rarely even crack a smile.

Just not for me I guess.
Old 01-04-06, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Why force yourself to watch something you already admit intense dislike for? Is there really nothing else for you to watch?
Old 01-04-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Warning: The first two seasons suck.
Old 01-04-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Agreed... start with season 3 or 4
Old 01-04-06, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Agreed... start with season 3 or 4
I disagree. You gotta tough it out, even the bad episodes!

Seriously, season 1 is pretty much a stinker, but is only 5 episodes in length. Season 2 is 13 episodes, and although is hit and miss, contains some really good episodes: "The Busboy", "The Chinese Restaurant," "The Phone Message," "The Heart Attack," and "The Deal."
Old 01-04-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Definitely don't skip out. I agree with Morf.
Old 01-04-06, 03:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. The Chinese Restaurant is a pretty famous episode. It's where it first got press (at least as I remember) regarding being "a show about nothing". It's my belief, that episode put the show on the map and "The Contest" episode really made the show famous.
Old 01-04-06, 03:29 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Good for you for giving this a try, Chew! I love this show, but I agree with others who say that the first couple of seasons are really uneven. As you saiud, they're "finding the characters."

I hagted George when I first started watching, but he soon became my favorite character.

Last edited by Bandoman; 01-05-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The best seasons were the ones right before Larry David left the show as a writer, although the later seasons are good too.

I just started reading the titles on IMDB and started cracking up. Great show.

I'm waiting until all the seasons are out and then buying "Seinfeld: The Complete Series (Big Salad Edition)".
Old 01-04-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seinfeld party of four.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.