Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD Return Policy and Multiple Disc Sets

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the mistake of buying American Gothic the Complete Series during the 20% sale. The reason I say "mistake" is because I forgot how strict DDD is with their return policies. In the past, I have ordered from them countless times, so this isn't a vendetta against them. I always go to them first for DVDs that have been out for a while because you usually can't beat the price.

Anyway, when I received the first set, disc one was scratched up. Since these are DVD18s, it is going to be hard to get a set with perfect discs. I understand this, but since I am buying a new set, it shouldn't have scratches on it. I tried to explain to the rep that if a new set was sent out, then I could swap the disc and send back the defective ones. They were not willing to send out the replacement before receiving the return because the warehouse needed to "see" the damaged product. I even offered to buy a new box at the 20% off price so I could swap the discs. They refused to sell the box at the 20% off price because the sale was over. After speaking with a CS Manager, I agreed to send the set back. They did e-mail me a return label.

About a week and a half later, I received the replacement set. This time, disc 3 had a huge circle scratch through the middle of the disc. I called CS again and they told me I had to return the whole set again. I tried to plead my case once again about getting a replacement to swap discs but I truly don't think this person understood what I was talking about. Then he stated that I would not receive a defective one this time. I asked him how that would be possible and he just repeated himself. He claimed that I would receive another e-mail with a return label, but to this date, I have not.

I am going to call again and make sure the return label is e-mailed to me. However, isn't this going to end up costing them more to continue to pay for me to ship back and then ship another one? Amazon is so much better about returns. I got a disc over the holidays that was a floater. They literally overnighted a replacement to me, before receiving the defective one, and explained that I could print a replacement label right from the invoice. I have received scratched box sets from Amazon in the past, and they always sent out the replacement to swap discs.

Well, I just had to vent because I will never buy another box set from them again. I passed on the recent sale because of this experience. It is way too frustrating to deal with multiple returns just to save a few dollars. I wish DDD would see the light and take a lesson from Amazon on Customer Service.
Old 01-06-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Something similar happened to me. The box for my Kinski box set was crushed --- all they needed to send me was a new box. But they don't really handle it like that.
Old 01-06-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Something similar happened to me. The box for my Kinski box set was crushed --- all they needed to send me was a new box. But they don't really handle it like that.
In my case, it is going to cost more for them to keep comping me on shipping than to just send me the additional box to swap. I am going to keep returning if I don't get undamaged discs, so this could go on for months with the quality of the DVD18s being so shabby.
Old 01-06-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I had a missing slipcover for Arrested Development season 2. When I talked to them they told me to send it back, they would refund the amount and then they could re-place the order. Now gut instincts told me that they won't give me the 20% off when I reorder, just like the OP, so I decided to keep it. I use a custom case anyway and the original sits in a plastic tub, so I'll live.
Old 01-07-06, 02:07 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I returned a couple of those 20% off sale items for replacement. DDD refunded the money and generated a new replacement order with the same price (ie., 20% off) for one item. The other item was ordered with the regular price (ie., sans 20% off). A call to DDD corrected the problem and they're refunding the difference.
Old 01-07-06, 12:09 PM

Has anyone ever set something defective back and DDD not receive it?
Old 01-07-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
DDD will get it sorted eventually, but it could take a while. Some sets just seem more prone to floaters, and DDD's poor packing practice doesn't help. It took me 3 returns to get a Buffy box set finally without any floaters. I tried using the logic with a customer service rep about just returning the damaged bit, and how that would save DDD money and make it more likely for me to get an undamaged set speedier. But the rep literally laughed at me for suggesting such a stupid thing.
Old 01-07-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sailor_moon
Has anyone ever set something defective back and DDD not receive it?
I did a "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER" on a title that I found cheaper than DDD's price (even after the 20% off). I did that in early December. When I called yesterday to see if they had received it, he checked for a few minutes, asked me a couple times when I had returned it, then credited my charge card. I'm guessing that with the recent sale, the holidays and Media Mail shipping, it probably takes awhile for returns to get processed and credited. Give them a call if it's been a few weeks since you returned it.
Old 01-07-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sending packages back "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER" take a long time to get back to where they came from. I've read sometimes it could take upwards of 2 months.. I think I read once someplace (here on the forum) it took 6 months..
Old 01-07-06, 10:01 PM

I sent back an Alien Quadrilogy set the first week of December because it had a floater and a large gouge on the side. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift but they haven't even gotten the one I returned yet. I emailed them today and if I don't get either a refund or a new set shipped out in the next couple of days, I will give them a call.
Old 01-07-06, 11:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pilot
Sending packages back "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER" take a long time to get back to where they came from. I've read sometimes it could take upwards of 2 months.. I think I read once someplace (here on the forum) it took 6 months..
I returned an item for refund last month but they sent out a replacement instead. They told me to mark the package "Refused Delivery" and they will credit my CC when they get it back. The package is still in transit. Perhaps I should just open it and call to ask for a return mailing label again since it's their fault anyway. Perhaps it is much faster than a refused delivery, and get my money back faster.